Class abilities, professions and theming

90 Night Elf Hunter
Evenin' ;3

Now, I love the way the various skills of the game help provide a theme for the respective classes. It can also help stimulate Role Play or help a person get a stylistic feel for class. For example, Camouflage, to me, fits perfectly with the Survival spec. Prowling around in a forest, laying down traps before pummeling the prey with exploding bullets, awesome. Collecting various minerals around the world to build mechanical contraptions? The thing that helped define Khajro as a character. (Aside from being a misspelling of a Skyrim character.)

What are some abilities you think help illustrate what certain class are all about? Have any of the professions helped you add some complexity to your characters?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
Love this thread already.

I'll give a meager example to get the ball rolling. Systar's aggressive combat style (full charge assaults and battle cries) provide lots of fodder for who she ended up being. Also, her ability to turn rage into power gave me inspiration to embed a difficulty with alcoholism and anger control into her personality.

Vanstern is my character that I implement all game mechanics into his personality. He's a miner, skinner, and hunstman. I love hunter RP because of how I play him and intertwine RP and mechanics.
Reply Quote
60 Goblin Rogue
Well, when Ixupi started as a dwarf rogue, alchemy and herbalism fit since at the time you had to gather herbs to craft poisons.

...none of this talent-spell poison BS.... Dammnit Bliz!!! Give me back my flavour!
Reply Quote
For balance: Starfall or Typhoon.

For Feral: Berserk. King of the Jungle. (Even though it's a passive!)

For resto: Wild growth. Definitely. :D

For all druids, I'd say nature's vigil.

As for Ferenold himself? He's a far more primitive druid. He's learned some minor abilities over the stars, sun, and moon from the elves, but he doesn't really have too much skill in that regard. His primary skills really lay in the winds, earth, and to a lesser extent, plants. Aside from that though, he doesn't really have any abilities in which he can call forth stuff, despite having many, many rituals based around trees, water, and fire.
Edited by Ferenold on 10/3/2012 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior

THAT'S DUMB.
You forgot Wild Mushroom.
Reply Quote

THAT'S DUMB.

Shrooms just seem silly to me. I mean, exploding mushrooms, really? I suppose it'd be an interesting tactic to try to make someone eat it and then explode it while it's inside of 'em. Dang, that's nasty.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior

THAT'S DUMB.

Shrooms just seem silly to me. I mean, exploding mushrooms, really? I suppose it'd be an interesting tactic to try to make someone eat it and then explode it while it's inside of 'em. Dang, that's nasty.

I seen you.
You use 'em as bowls
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've never really pictured the mushrooms literally exploding, but exhaling a powerful wave of potent spores.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I imagined the mushrooms being Teemo shrooms.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

As for Ferenold himself? He's a far more primitive druid. He's learned some minor abilities over the stars, sun, and moon from the elves, but he doesn't really have too much skill in that regard. His primary skills really lay in the winds, earth, and to a lesser extent, plants. Aside from that though, he doesn't really have any abilities in which he can call forth stuff, despite having many, many rituals based around trees, water, and fire.

The druid I have was most defiantly shaped when I started playing resto. It just felt so right. Maybe it was all the wooshing noises from rejuvenate. XD
Reply Quote

The druid I have was most defiantly shaped when I started playing resto. It just felt so right. Maybe it was all the wooshing noises from rejuvenate. XD

When I first started playing druid I was in love with the sound too! But I confess I've since grown tired of it, and now always have my sound effects off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

When I first started playing druid I was in love with the sound too! But I confess I've since grown tired of it, and now always have my sound effects off.

My one major grip with this game is that there are not enough controls for sound volume. Like, I want the sound effects(spell sound, shots from my gun, stuff like that) to turned down, but I want voices to always be loud and clear. The game will not let me have it both ways, unfortunately :(
Reply Quote

My one major grip with this game is that there are not enough controls for sound volume. Like, I want the sound effects(spell sound, shots from my gun, stuff like that) to turned down, but I want voices to always be loud and clear. The game will not let me have it both ways, unfortunately :(

I've always felt the same. The only time I turn sound effects on whatsoever is when I want to do random emotes like /hi, because the Gilnean voice is just sexy.
Reply Quote
Herbalism and Alchemy for me.

Fits into the whole thing about him having a small affinity for nature and stuff...Lifebloom etc etc.
Edited by Björn on 10/3/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Mario's a miner and a blacksmith, profession-wise. He takes quite a bit of pride in his work, even if it seems a bit under appreciated at times.

As for class abilities, I like to think that all races in WoW have some degree of magical training. After all, magic's kind of a huge part in Azeroth, and if you just had a bland, same-y warrior while others are launching boulders of fire at people it wouldn't be too much interesting.

Mario studied magic purely to know how to defend against it (Spell Reflection! He is a tank after all), but picked up a few tricks along the way (Heroic Leap, Thunderclap, and Shockwave come to mind.) With that said, I need to track down someone who can help him learn how to use Stormbolt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Jewel crafting is mostly a recreational hobby for her. Most of her favorite works she'll keep and will sell the rest if it will get her a good amount of coin. Shes gotten a great use out of Scrying Roguestone for scouting missions.

Her frost abilities are her preferred method of combat. Frost spells feel natural to her and gets a little discomfort when it comes to her unholy abilities.
Edited by Sarîa on 10/4/2012 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]