The August Celestials

90 Human Paladin
What are they? Ancients? Titan Creations (like localized dragon aspects or Titanic watchers)? Loa?

They seem to hold great power, enough to either bestow it upon followers (such as the ability to summon an effigy of Xuen), use it to control parts of Pandaria (such as opening the gates to the Vale), or even fight the Sha (apparently). But they arent really explained.

Theories?
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
In my opinion they are Ancients such as Malorne and Ursol. Ancients who may have... evolved in a way due to their proximity to the waters in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/04/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Rudox
In my opinion they are Ancients such as Malorne and Ursol. Ancients who may have... evolved in a way due to their proximity to the waters in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

Which honestly doesn't mean that Malorne and friends haven't evolved, due to proximity to the Well of Eternity way back when.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I think they are the same type of Eternal that the Ancients and the Primal Loa are.

They're based off of animals, and have children of those animals.

They are bound to the land they dwell, and their children inhabit that land.

They are in the balance of nature.
Reply Quote
I say Ancients who like to stay on Pandaria to protect the Vales power. Cenarius doesn't seem to care about anything that happens beyond the Hyjal/Ashenvale region, after all.
Reply Quote
50 Gnome Rogue
Celestials.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think they are the same type of Eternal that the Ancients and the Primal Loa are.

They're based off of animals, and have children of those animals.

They are bound to the land they dwell, and their children inhabit that land.

They are in the balance of nature.
The Celestials are mortal though, at least to a degree. Their bodies age and die, and as their final act they use their life essence to animate a new body, which Yu'lon implies is a different being. I guess it could be because of Titan actions or something different about the Vale of Eternal Blossoms versus the Well, but it's all up in the air.

EDIT: Is it possible that it's because Y'Shaarj is dead?
Edited by Daralii on 10/4/2012 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The Celestials are mortal though, at least to a degree. Their bodies age and die, and as their final act they use their life essence to animate a new body, which Yu'lon implies is a different being. I guess it could be because of Titan actions or something different about the Vale of Eternal Blossoms versus the Well, but it's all up in the air.

EDIT: Is it possible that it's because Y'Shaarj is dead?

A new body that retains all the memories of the previous one. It's really more of a tedious immortality, like in Fullmetal Alchemist, but without the bodily decomposition after a few centuries.

I think it is BECAUSE of the fact the Vale still exists that these beings must be replaced, and why Cenarius/friends are immortal, but their Well is destroyed.

Or perhaps they have become addicted to the magic in a sense, and thus "die", unable to sustain their forms with their level of power.
Edited by Baalsamael on 10/4/2012 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Well I always looked aat the Vale as a sort of Well of Eternity. I mean they share a lot of the same traits.

Trolls eventually evolved into Night Elves due to their proximity to the well.

Mogu use the waters of the Vale to shape races as they see fit.

They aren't exactly the same but there are still some similarities. I believe the differences between the Vale and the Well are connected to the differences between the Celestials and Ancients. If that isn't very clear I mean that the Vale, while unique, is very similar to the Well and empowered what we know now to be the Celestials in a way unique to it. Along the same vein of though the Well empowered the Ancients in a way unique to it.

That's my crack theory anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
There is certianly something up with the Vale, but i don't think it's like what we see with the Well of Eternity. The Well, for instance, didn't produce carrots the size of a house, and we know (or at least are given indications of) that the waters running down from the vale are the cause of the Valley of 4 Winds rather absurd productivity.

The Celestials are certianly related to the Loa and the Ancients. Given their need to transfer spiritual power to maintain their presence in the world, i would suspect they are more Loa than Ancient. Also given the fact that Pandaria is the location of the only Old God the Titans killed, and the results of that, they could be a security measure in place to mitigate the effects. In this case, we could also assume that the Vale, and its miraculous healing powers, are there expressly to counteract the effects of the Sha and the dead Y'shaarj. In the same way the Guardians in Northrend oversaw the prison of Yogg Saron, the August Celestials are the grave-keepers of Y'shaarj.

Assuming they are Titan in origin, of course. Being Titan creations wouldn't exclude them from being Ancients or Loa, mind you.
Edited by Caeledor on 10/5/2012 12:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
10/04/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Daralii

So far, we only know the Jade Serpent does that cycle. Meanwhile, Xuen remembers meeting with Shaohao 10,000 years ago.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think they're Ancients, they have every sign of being Ancients, no idea why Yu'lon seems to die of old age though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I tend to think that the August Celestials are more ancients then Loa of any kind. They are animals yet they have the mind of a sentient being much like the ancients. I also do not think that they truly have a lifespan rather that the "re-birth" of Yu'lon is more of a religious practice then her actually dieing of old age.

The reason I get this is the fact that when the statue of the Jade Serpent in the Jade Forest was destroyed Yu'lon was not all that phased about it I mean she was worried but she said, " My own re-birth will have to wait a hundred more years." or something along these lines. Now if someone was really dieing would not they be phased by the fact that they can't re-birth and could potential end the Jade Serpent? But she was not so that to me means that it leans more towards a religious practice.

Yu'lon also mentions the great cycle and stating that it neither begins with her nor it ends with her. This to means to me that she started or a previous Jade Serpent started caring a protecting life after it began. The Jade Serpent (Yu'lon) is described as the life-giver of the east and as life goes on through the ages it changes each generation. Have you ever heard a old person reminiscing and still thinking that life is still like it was when they were young? Well that's why I think Yu'lon re-births to get a new lease of well life. To get a new personality on the current generation a help protect life.

Also I think the re-birth could also stand for a part in the the what she thinks in the Great Cycle. Think of the life cycle it starts with birth and ends with death now take out all but birth or hatching. Now think of it like that keeps on repeating itself and the Jade serpents "re-birth" represents the birth but it is nor the end or the beginning it is just a new stage in the Great Cycle. Anyway that is how I see it.

As for the others Xuen actively describes being there for when he was teaching Emperor Shaohao. Some might say that after the re-birth they retain the previous Celestials memories but Xuen is speaking in a tone and wisdom like he was their and he taught him. For most part I think the August Celestials are immortal and are very closely related or are ancients and for the most part the re-birth of the Jade Serpent is a religious ceremony of the sought.

Thank you for reading. =)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Caeledor
There is certianly something up with the Vale, but i don't think it's like what we see with the Well of Eternity. The Well, for instance, didn't produce carrots the size of a house, and we know (or at least are given indications of) that the waters running down from the vale are the cause of the Valley of 4 Winds rather absurd productivity.
I think there were enormous vegetables on the Wandering Isle, too. I dunno if Liu Lang brought a vial of water from the Vale, Blizz just reused assets, or the water isn't responsible for the growth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
If the Jade Serpent has to put her soul into a statue, they may be related to the Mogu and the Titans.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
More important, to compare the Vale to the Well, where Dark Trolls became Night Elves, the Murlocs became Jinyu.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Baalsamael
More important, to compare the Vale to the Well, where Dark Trolls became Night Elves, the Murlocs became Jinyu.

Well... no. It's known that a lot of the Pandaren races were morphed by the Mogu for their own ends. Hozen, Jinyu, Saurok, Pandaren and even Grummle were made with a specific purpose in mind.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Actually the Jinyu specifically came from the Vale. There's a scene with Cho who explains.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
They were changed by the waters of the vale, watch the story again.

10/05/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Briswald
Well... no. It's known that a lot of the Pandaren races were morphed by the Mogu for their own ends. Hozen, Jinyu, Saurok, Pandaren and even Grummle were made with a specific purpose in mind.

Jinyu weren't made by mogu.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Briswald

AFAIK we only know the Saurok and Grummles were made by Mogu. Jinyu are evolved Murlocs affected by the waters, and Pandaren mayyy be related to Furbolgs somehow I think I read that somewhere but it may be outdated. I think Hozen are just kinda there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]