Holy pally healing issues???

90 Blood Elf Paladin
i was wondering if any of you hpallys were having troubles healing? my heals seem extremly weak, im running around trying to heal heroics, with tanks who have 450k hp and im spaming everythign i have to try and bring there hp up. im seriously struggling, and having insane mana issuse's, spells cost to much and and my heals seem extremly weak, but on the other hand my druid has absolutly no issuse healing, or with mana, im just wondering if im the only one having problems with h pallys heals? it seems as though holy pallys healing is basically healing for the same amount as it did in cata, we didnt scall with the release of mop like most other healing class's, just about every other class seems to be doing really well in mop. i have heard that priests are having the same issuse's.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi Last,

I am not finding issues weak heals HOWEVER I am having major issues with mana. Any time the group in a heroic requires a fair amount of healing I will oom, and I do not overheal I only heal what I need to keep everyone alive... and still almost oom.

Like with all new expansions everything starts all over again, and I miss my old heroic DS healing ease terribly.

Paladins are unbalanced in the sense we are giving a lot of "free heals", so the blues give us !@#$ regen and will happily admit that. The big difference is the one second spent to cast a WoG of a LoD does not amount anything to overall regen. Its one extra second.... makes no difference. So we oom and pray we get a proc and then wipe or manage to survive somehow.

Even though paladins have holy power now (something the devs introduced in the first place) they should give us the same regen as any other class and not make us worse simple because they gave us a free heal to use now and then.

Only solution at the moment is gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/03/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Läst
it seems as though holy pallys healing is basically healing for the same amount as it did in cata

Yes. just.. yes. i keep saying that too.

You want as much spirit and mastery as you can get. it hurts pretty bad when your crits aren't even 1/4 of a tanks hp, but our mastery helps a lot. you should find that the most of your healing is coming from your absorb which is probably why we haven't really scaled healing wise. honestly if i knew it would have been like this i would have leveled a different class for this content. I really do hope they give us a teeny tiny little buff.

my only advice is slow down with healing, you have a strong absorb, watch your over healing, use hand of sac on heavy damage with your big heals.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Nope, haven't noticed any such problem. I only really ever worry about going OOM when DPS fail to maneuver themselves properly or when a tank bungles his rotation and gets hit by spike damage.

Though I have to admit, in the latter situation even FoL spamming with a cooldown popped has trouble filling them back up as reasonably as other classes seem to do.

Outside that niche situation I haven't really noticed many problems. Between the cheap/free heals, mastery and sacred shield I actually spend a lot of the fight doing nothing if the tank keeps his rotation up.

Hell, I've even had a few instances where I've forgotten about beacon and healed people in the wrong order and still haven't had dramatic issues in Heroics or MSV.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Im having trouble with heals in pvp to me it seemed like in cata although some of the pve items were out of hand it required more skill, now a warrior thats never been above 1500 rating can solo me?i hope this gets fixed
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Paladins are doing well according to the logs I have read but I can't speak for your mana situation.

Many of the changes in MOP are subtle. Some spells that appear the same have very different spell synergies, mana costs, etc and as a result your priorities may have change. If you haven't already read up on all the details and read a guide to confirm that you are doing it correctly. Also make sure that you're using your mana cds every chance you get because mana is so tight this expansion
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
My wife loves her Pally, it is her main, she is about to abandon it.

A little history, she and I are the two main healers of our raid group, me on my shaman and her on her Paladin. For the the first time ever in our brief play history (we started in Wrath) we got Heroic DS complete a few days before MoP hit.

That being said, she cannot keep a pug tank alive in a 5 man to save her life. Her Big Pally Heal often hits for like 30K. and groups health just sinks right in front of her eyes until they are wiped. She has been going to sites like Noxxic and Icy-Veins for pointers on healing. She can sometimes win if she uses all these small heals and spams them like crazy. She is able to heal groups that are guild groups, but those are a struggle for her. It does seem like her heals are really no more powerful than they were in Wrath. One interesting thing as I tanked for her on my druid the other day is that as spike damage hit on 3rd boss of Nizaro Temple she was unable to compensate. We ended up having to abandon the run. When people have 300 to 400K plus health, and you are throwing 30K heals, it is not going to cut it in the long run for a healer being able to actually heal.

So far on my Shaman and Druid, healing seems balanced and fair.

So is Pally Healing this bad, or do we need to find her another site or way to heal so she can win.

Thank you all for your time and input!

Zursk
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love my pally. I heal my husband in arena and do a lot of PVP. I have noticed that my heals have become weak and I take dmg like no other now. It is sad really because I do not want to abandon my Paladin. I have healed heroics and have also noticed my heals are not as strong as they once were.

I really hope we get balanced or I might have to pick up the old Druid :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think people are trying to heal like its DS on pallies.

•Dont spam HR anymore, its going to oom you super fast and it doesnt heal much anymore anyways (your LoD has been buffed and HR nerfed)
•Dont reforge out of mastery for ANYTHING mastery is king in this tier.
•reforge for spirit if peice has none and mastery if it has spirit and no mastery
•Alot of pallies are finding that EF is giving great throughput with blanketing and it transfers to beacon for great extra tank heals.
•people are saying the stacking haste is good but i just cant see that in this tier. Sounds like a horrible idea to me with mana as tight as it is. If you are stacking haste and having regen issues reforge to mastery and i bet you will see lots of extra mana sitting arround due to absorbs.

Just some thoughts
hope it helps anyone
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been stacking spirit and mastery and I have had very few issues and I find my heals are very good. I am always try to keep my mana near topped off so that when heavy damage comes in I pop Holy Avenger, Holy Shock Light of Dawn, Holy Radiance, Light of Dawn, Holy Shock Light of Dawn, Holy Radiance, Light of Dawn, Holy Shock Light of Dawn. Holy Avenger ends by this time and most of the time everyone is fine and if we are still fighting I use arcane torrent and divine plea and try not to heal till it finishes. I should also mention, during the time of Holy Avenger is usually the only time I use Holy Radiance. I also have the talent Eternal Flame and I will usually try to use it on non beacon targets due to the HOT and that it does transfer to the beacon. Saying all this people may be saying what is wrong with me but it has worked for me so far but I am always looking to make myself better.

I should also add that in my opinion Illuminated healing should always be near the top if not the top of your healing meters.
Edited by Gwyndolyn on 10/11/2012 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I just got my paladin up to 90 recently, and, as others have mentioned, the play style has changed a bit from the 4.3 model. Instead of trying to heal all incoming damage, paladins are now a bit more like Disc priests in that their strength is in preventing damage. Between the mastery shields (and you can stack shields up prior to the pull), and using all of your CDs (Hand of Sac and the like), you shouldn't have to be playing catch-up, and burning all of your mana in the process, all that often. 5-mans are notorious for unexpected damage, but being aware of what the warning signs are and casting spells that anticipate damage seem to be where paladins are doing best at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have been 90 for awhile now and i have been healing since BC and i have to admit the healing has really changed. I havent really found a problem while healing H dungeons. even when i had all blue gear the main thing you have to do now is stack spirit. Gem all sockets with spirit reforge into spirit and if you have spirit on a item but no mastery reforge haste or crit into mastery(which ever is higher) so you get max spirit. You shouldn't have any trouble with mana regen after that.

I think I'm at 12200 combat regen and I can blow big heals and still end the fight with mana left over. Even on H Raids. What i recommend is that you spec into Eternal Flame along with Divine Purpose. The ticks from eternal flame are better than word and when divine procs throw multiple eternals out heals will go through the roof i rarely use dawn of light cause it doesnt heal for enough for multiple targets. The only time I do use it is when i need to be running and healing. Also the pally 4 set bonus is huge for us. I do have better gear but for raids and quicker holy power I use my 4 set. I thought that I would just give a little insight to the healing prob.
Reply Quote
With paladin healers...taking advantage of your holy power is the most important. If your wiping in a 5 man and your doing at least basic healing, its more then likely not just your fault...

I personally go with DP,EF,LH in the talent tree. With those 3 talents alone, I quite often will get strings of DP procs 5 or 6 in a row. At a minimum keep EF on your tank.

Also there are some amazing add-ons out there that I use. Im an idiot for not remembering what they are now, so I'll describe what they do and try to remember later what the point of them is.

Often times as healers we feel like our eyes are all over the screen,be it watching health bars/hurty stuff/debuffs/CD'S etc etc...

bartender4 is an add-on that allows you to customize your UI. Which will put all of your cds basic heals hands spells everything you can think of into a format that will fit your playstyle personally. Example is my brother plays a healer druid-all of his main healing spells are probably an inch wide and spread out over the length of his screen and he can click through them. I want everything bunched up and close to the middle of my screen.

Another add-on I use actually puts a number over your CD'S for length of the cool-down. So you always can see right there......"hey in 8 seconds I know that I will have H0S ready again or..."incoming titan gas and my AW is ready in 4 seconds...It helps me a lot!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Hamerdin
Another add-on I use actually puts a number over your CD'S for length of the cool-down. So you always can see right there......"hey in 8 seconds I know that I will have H0S ready again or..."incoming titan gas and my AW is ready in 4 seconds...It helps me a lot!

Fricking love that addon. Makes me so much more efficient with holy fire on cooldown and mindbender as well.

To the OP, you shouldn't be relying on your casted heals to do the bulk of your healing. The majority of what you do should be building holy power with holy shock and spending it on Eternal flames. With divine purpose talented, you can get 20k or so worth of hots rolling on the tank by blanketing the group with flames.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
i was wondering if any of you hpallys were having troubles healing? my heals seem extremly weak, im running around trying to heal heroics, with tanks who have 450k hp and im spaming everythign i have to try and bring there hp up. im seriously struggling, and having insane mana issuse's, spells cost to much and and my heals seem extremly weak, but on the other hand my druid has absolutly no issuse healing, or with mana, im just wondering if im the only one having problems with h pallys heals? it seems as though holy pallys healing is basically healing for the same amount as it did in cata, we didnt scall with the release of mop like most other healing class's, just about every other class seems to be doing really well in mop. i have heard that priests are having the same issuse's.

I would like to help, however, you are in Ret gear, so I can not help you there. However, it would benefit you to look at Taillias guide Moar Light, in the paladin forums. When I was running heroics in an equipped ilvl of 432 at the start of the xpac, I was having mana issues. By the time I hit 463blues, mana was no longer an issue.

With the new fixed mana pools, you really have to focus on your Divine Plea a lot more. Holy Light should be used more often and please, get rid of Selfless Healer in your Holy spec. There is zero reason to judge anymore. You should not be judging, which means Selfless Healer is worthless to you. Eternal Flame is your go to spell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I probably logged out in my tank gear, but my holy set is I believe a 464 ilvl (OS) and I stack pure spirit because of the mana problems, but at the same time my Holy Lights heal for between 38k and 43k depending on buffs etc.

No different from my shaman, really, but my shaman has so many abilities to use that I don't really have problems with mana or keeping a group up and my ilvl is only 460 on him.

My problem with my paladin is that Holy Light tends to be my second heal behind illuminated healing in 25, followed by beacon usually. I can't use divine light much because it's such a mana hog and holy shock has such a long CD that it's pretty much my only HoPo generator that I can afford to use since HR is so expensive.

Halp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I usually start looking for windows to pop divine plea at 80% mana. Seriously, just like mindbender on my priest, if it's available and I'm not at 100%, odds are I'll have time to pop it "soon".

I keep a 2-3 of EF on the tank always, 1-2 on the group depending on the damage splashing, HS on CD for HoP generation. Yes, even if I don't need it, I HS to maintain HoP.

I have a lot more mana issues with my priest, and they're similarly geared. Main thing on my pally seems to be staying ahead of the curve and not getting behind the curve where I'm having to spam to catch up. I judge if I can, but it's not a priority.

Illuminated healing is usually top heal, followed by Eternal Flame and beacon.

For huge aoe damage, like the last boss tends to have in Mogu'shan Palace, I try to alternate HR with LoD and EF blanketing and pray - because if someone won't get out of the arrows, fire, or devastate, I probably won't be able to save 'em.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you only healing 5 mans Datbubble? In my experiance, Holy raidiance is almost useless there since its rare that it will even hit 3 targets.

The biggest thing i do for mana in 5 mans and even several raid bosses is melee with seal of insight. My mouseover macros are set up so they dont change my target and so I just target boss or trash at the beginning of the fight and allow melees to hit in-between casts. Casted spells reset your swing timer but if you have 2 instant casts back to back then you get a little mana back or if you just dont need to be casing heals for a few seconds then you get some mana back.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm mostly a pvper, but i still do the occasional raid and ill throw my two cents in.

Holy Radiance is something i almost never ever ever use unless i get it prock'd and am near to full mana. The cost and cast time is way too much. Let your other healers like shamans and Disc priest manage the constant AOE!

Usually after having stacked 3 HL eternal flame on the tank ill use my excess holy power on LoD to top off a raid group and help the other healers with keeping everybody up.

Holy paladins are not designed for AOE healing in MoP. We have MASSIVE single and double target healing. When a tank is getting low all it takes is a Holy shock and a Prism cast to bring him back to full health.

But if you really need to use aoe healing during a fight because the other healers can't manage on their own Guardian of the ancient kings will spread out 10% of the next 5 healing spells you cast across the raid group. Combining this with other major cool-downs really help you maintain a raid group.

Also holy paladins have tons of utility with their many talents and ability's. Hand of sacrifice for one. This hand allows you to transfer 30% of damage to yourself. Using this on a tank is one of the best things you can do when the tank is getting low and you and other healers need time to catch up. Along with Clemency you can do this 2 times every two minutes.

I've personally stacked mastery by reforging completely out of haste. This really helps my healing by applied a large adsorption shield along with our massive healing.

Personally i've avoided stacking spirit. Even with large amounts of it i don't notice much of a difference in mana regeneration. But when i do go oom or i am close to doing so i usually call out to a Rshaman or a Rdruid for Mana tide/Inervate. Since they seem to have less issues with mana in MOP then most classes at the moment.

Even when OOM, because of the low cost of some of our most powerfull spells, such as: Holy shock and Holy prism, i've managed to keep up arena partners and raid groups just long enough to score a kill.

This is just my personal opinion and i hope some of what i've said here can help :)
Edited by Airesblood on 2/2/2013 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
yay for 3 month old threads
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]