Disc PVP Guide and stuff.

90 Night Elf Priest
Hi I'm Bestworld. Yes I stole Raiku's name, also I recently re-rolled priest from Mage (and hunter, and dk, and rogue, and warrior) and I think they're probably the most fun class in WoW. Hopefully this guide (or whatever you'd like to call it, I recommend Moist Cucumber) will help you new guys out in the wide-world of PVP.

Talents and Glyphs (TL;DR version)

Offensive Cookie Cutter Build - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#p!^i|nqx
Offensive Anti-Shield Build - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#p!^i|Rqx
Defensive Anti-Caster Build - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#p!]j|Rqx
Defensive (TRAIN THE PRIEST) Build - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#p!\n|nqx

In Depth:

Tier 1:

Dominate Mind is a nerfed version of Mind Control (added cooldown), and allows you to position your enemy where you’d like, on traps, within fear range, out of LoS, off the Blade’s Edge Bridge or Dalaran Upper Level etc. In addition, you can use it on your kill target when he’s on low health to prevent healing to him while your team members catch a breath.

Psyfiend is pretty decent against caster/hunter comps, as it lets you fear much further away than you normally would be able to. The downfall is that it went to a special school, you know the ones where you get that cool bus with the padding – anyway, it will most likely fear pets/mirror image/shadowy apparitions over an actual player, so make sure you use it when you’re sure it will guarantee a fear. Note that it DR’s with your Scream.

Void Tendrils are awesome, especially in lower brackets (1600-1900) as players usually won’t kill the tendril until say about 6 seconds have passed, giving you some serious breathing room. Paladins and Druids can get out, but otherwise it is undispellable. Use this against those dog teams that incorporate a “TRAIN THE PRIEST” strategy.

Tier 2:

Body and Soul is nice because you can give it to team-mates, however Phantasm is better in almost every situation, bind Fade to something comfortable and get used to using it, when you take Phantasm, you can avoid interrupts, scatters, charges and more for a short duration, in addition to avoiding CC like Polymorphs when your SWD is ticking.

Tier 3:

This is usually the tier where priests start to QQ about mana issues, while yes, our mana is much less than other healers, you can still live through a good 10-minute arena game without going OOM, it all depends on what you’re vsing.
Mindbender gives LESS mana back per attack/summon, but due to the lowered cooldown it gives more mana overall (if you can use it on-cooldown). The other two talents however, are far too undervalued and you guys should seriously give them a try.
From Darkness, Comes Light (FDCL) is a passive that just hands you free instant FoL procs (quite literally, the game says, here you go, take them!) that are free on mana, so this talent is wonderful for defensive play (if you have spare procs, don’t let them go to waste! Use them with Spirit Shell! It’s OP!).
Power Word: Solace was quite interesting to me, it hits about the same as Smite, but returns mana to you (sort of the new mana burn, I suppose), if you prefer aggressive play, then pick this talent up and replace your Smite with it, you won’t regret it!

Tier 4:

These talents are all wonderful, it just depends on what your opponents/partners.
Spectral Guise: Great for landing fears, avoiding CC, getting trained etc. It breaks on any damage, so try to avoid using it with bleeds or DoTs.
Desperate Prayer: The old school panic button, awesome if you’re up against bursty teams that can swap to you in a heartbeat.
Angelic Bulwark: I personally use this over Desperate Prayer against Train The Priest comps, because it can activate while you’re stunned/silenced, meaning you still get a bit of padding while sitting that 5 second HoJ.

Tier 5:

Personally I feel this tier isn’t too fleshed-out, Twist of Fate seems very underwhelming and unreliable to take, and Divine Insight doesn’t proc enough (for me, but maybe I’m unlucky), so I stick with PI. You may want to make a /cancelaura macro to remove it against a mage team.

Tier 6:

Our new 90 abilities, for serious PVP I would only take Halo because of how blatantly overpowered it is for getting out invisible enemies. In addition it can heal for up to 160k crits (80k damage) if you can aim it properly, plus it heals through Line-Of-Sight, whereas Divine Star does not.
Cascade seems like a very RNG ability that can pull through when you’re getting trained, it works similar to Prayer of Mending only it can damage enemies as well.

Glyphs:

Inner Focus –

This Glyph is mandatory, 5 seconds of Aura Mastery means you can avoid silences/interrupts should you predict them (more on this later).

Shadow Word: Death –

Another necessary glyph, reverts the ability to the way it was pre-5.0. Allows you to avoid CC like a boss (more on this later).

Mass Dispel/Desperation –

Means you can’t be interrupted on your MD cast (unless they are high-tier players with amazing latency). Use Desperation unless you're up against a Mage or a Paladin (druid's with symbiosis also get Bubble/Block, so keep that in mind!), in which case you can pick up MD glyph (you can change glyphs before the gates open).

Gear and Stat Priority:

First of all, here’s Hydra’s current armory, if you don’t know who Hydra is, you should probably play another class. :p

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Jessrabb%C3%ADt/simple

And my armory:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/saurfang/Bestworld/simple

Stat Priority: Int > PVP Power > Mastery > Spirit > Crit/Haste > Haste/Crit > Resilience.

Intellect is and has been our primary stat for quite some time, so nothing has changed there really. The new elephant in the room is PVP Power, which scales our healing quite significantly (upwards of 20%). Mastery scales all of our absorbs, meaning Spirit Shell flash heals will actually give more throughput than a straight Flash Heal. Spirit is necessary because our mana is awful, and Rapture scales from Spirit. Crit/Haste are good, but are trumped by Mastery, my personal preference is to pick up more haste for dispels/renew ticks but Crit is fine as well.

Resilience isn’t as good anymore, as our 4-Set Bonus gives the target a massive chunk of resilience, so they will end up going over cap, it’s still good, but is no longer as important as it has been. Due to recent changes, we no longer have to reforge Spell-Pen or Hit, so this gives us a little bit of elbow room to try out different enchants and reforges.

When gearing up, grab the 4-Set first, followed by trinkets and finally off-set pieces. We only need 4 pieces of Mooncloth, so feel free to pick up Satin legs as they give a massive mastery boost.

General Playstyle:

As Disc, there are two main methods of playing, and these will differ depending on what you’re up against (I can’t list them all, you’ll need to learn these yourself).

Aggressive:

The offensive playstyle involves you being up with your dps, helping to fear and dps when you can. This method is what has made the priest playstyle so famous over the years.

Defensive:

Defensive priest play involves staying out of LoS and ducking in/out to throw up a shield or quick heal, this is used against teams that can swap to you and force cooldowns quickly or even score a kill (such as Ret/Dk/Priest).

Tips and Tricks:

Fake Casting:

Simple, start casting a spell and stop it to bait an interrupt, takes some practice but eventually you’ll master it.

A word on Interrupt Scripts:

I've noticed a lot of players using Interrupt Scripts (3rd party programs that automatically interrupt spells without the need to press any keys, yes they're illegal). These can be very annoying but luckily they can still be faked, this becomes easier the higher latency you have. I'm no expert, but I'm relatively sure that the server doesn't update your character casting until your keypress has been pinged to the server, which takes longer the higher latency you're sitting on. As an Australian, I am able to fake these programs often, it just has to happen very fast (before you even see your cast-bar appear), if successful the bot will kick and you can start casting normally.

Inner Focus Fake:

A more advanced fake, stopping your casting with Inner Focus using a /stopcasting command in the macro will mean that you also gain immunity to things like Gag-Order and Improved Counterspell silences. Occasionally you will fake an interrupt, then have to sit the full 4 second silence while your team-member dies, so this can help avoid that. (Also works for Strangulate/Silencing Shot!)

Fear Bait:

Against teams with a priest, you can bait their fear by running towards them, then utilizing one of these manoeuvres:

• Jump back, jumping means that your character controller is actually moved instantly to the landing spot, while your character model remains on the screen (so the priest will still think you’re in range).
  • Fear Ward
  • Shadowmeld (night elves only!)
  • Fear Ward Fight:

Against another priest, it is important to strip fear ward as soon as possible (so you can land the first fear/force cooldowns), this can be helped by applying trash buffs (penance yourself so you get Grace stacks) and using Inner Focus to give immunity to dispels for 5 seconds.

Death Polymorph/Repentance:

Shadow Word: Death is an amazing ability, when glyphed it deals a delayed amount of damage to you, which can be used to avoid CC that breaks on damage. If a mage is casting Polymorph or a paladin Repentance, you can cast Death right at the end of the cast to break it early. This takes practice, but eventually you’ll get it.

Death Blind/Scatter/POM/Blinding Light:

Instant CC can also be broken with Shadow Word: Death, although it requires more positional awareness and luck.

• Blind: Hydra himself said that he only deaths successfully 1 time out of 10, but that shouldn’t deter you. The better the rogue, the easier it is to death, and you need to keep your distance when you think he might do it. When he sprints at you, run towards him and as soon as he is in blind range (you’ll need to learn this distance) spam Death and pray.
    Scatter: Scatter is slightly easier to death because it has a short range, and the hunter will often be very far away. Good hunters will Disengage towards you to land a scatter, so make sure you keep an eye on him.
  • Presence of Mind (POM): Now that every mage will be picking up presence of mind, you’ll need to watch his buffs (it’s the shiny helmet) and death as soon as you see it. You can also death Ring of Frost to DR yourself or walk over it.
  • Blinding Light: Blinding Light is the new paladin ability that Blinds nearby targets for 6 seconds, if you see a paladin running towards you, he will either HoJ or BL you, so death either way and hope you get lucky.
  • Avoiding CS/Poly:

Good mages will know you can death their poly, so they will CS/poly, to avoid this yell at your teammates to interrupt the mage using anything they have (even polymorph can interrupt another poly if they cast it fast enough), if you’re a night elf you can meld while silenced.

Void Shift Pet
    You can Void Shift your Psyfiend, Shadowfiend, as well as team members pets! Not much to it, target (or use a macro) and hit Void Shift!

Macros:

Used to target my party1, with shift held it will dispel them and stopcasting. Replace party1 with party2 for second team member, and player for yourself.
    #showtooltip purify
    /target [nomod] party1
    /stopcasting [mod:shift]
    /cast [mod:shift,target=party1] purify

Focus’s my target or mouseover if it exists, I use this a lot in RBGs/world PVP.
    /focus
    /focus [target=mouseover,exists]

Shadow Word: Death Macro, deaths the closest enemy or my target if I have one
    #showtooltip shadow word: death
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast [@target,harm] shadow word: death
    /stopmacro[harm]
    /targetenemy
    /cast Shadow Word: Death
    /targetlasttarget

Burst Healing/Panic Button, activates inner focus and uses my trinket, PI and archangel if I have evang stacks.
    #showtooltip inner focus
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast inner focus
    /cast power infusion
    /cast archangel
    /use Vial of Ichorous Blood

Flash Heal/Holy Fire, I use this to save keybinds. Basically if my target is an enemy it will cast holy fire, if not it will flash heal. Replace these abilities with renew/shadow word pain and greater heal/smite.

#showtooltip
    /cast [harm] holy fire;flash heal

Allows me to dance through my auras without having extra binds

#showtooltip
    /castsequence inner will,inner fire

MD/PWB macro, the “!” means I can spam the button without removing the targeting retacle, if I hold Shift it casts Power Word Barrier.

#showtooltip mass dispel
    /cast !mass dispel
    /cast [mod:shift] !power word: barrier

Spirit Shell macro, cancels spirit shell with a second press.
    #showtooltip spirit shell
    /cancelaura spirit shell
    /cast spirit shell

Simple MC macro that cancels it with a second press

#showtooltip dominate mind
    /cancelaura dominate mind
    /cast dominate mind

Self fear ward macro, includes stop casting to bait fears
    #showtooltip fear ward
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /cast [target=player] fear ward

For shadowfiend I use two macros, the first summons it and casts Shadowcrawl/petattacks, the second dispels my shadowfiend.
    #showtooltip shadowfiend
    /cast shadowfiend
    /petassist
    /cast [target=pettarget,exists] shadowcrawl
    /cast shadowcrawl

#showtooltip purify
    /cast [pet] purify

Addons:
    I don’t personally use addons as I hate updating them, I scale the default UI down instead. If you do use addons, I recommend Gladius, GladiatorLoSSA, LoseControl, Interruptbar/Juked and Bartender.

Conclusion:

Well there you go, sorry about the wall of text, hopefully some of you find something useful.

Cheers <3
    Edited by Bestworld on 10/10/2012 8:09 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    I'll be prettying it up over the next few days, but here's the early version.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Kinda disagree with body and soul, I feel like right now fade is far more clutch.

Guess body of soul could be useful in some situations too though.

glyph of desperation is pretty good (mandatory?) also, although lets be honest if you are stunned and someone is hitting you as disc right now you'll probably die through painsup lololol.

Solid guide :)

For anyone getting into arena PVP as a healer its probably worth noting that positioning is in WoW arena the equivalent of macro in SC2 - critical to any sort of success, and grossly underestimated.
    Edited by Cybele on 10/4/2012 6:44 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    The main reason I haven't teched Phantasm is due to my lack of Keybindings haha, also you're right about the pain supp glyph, it should be used 100% unless you're vsing a mage/pal team (you can swap pre-match).

I'll add it in =]
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Warrior
    Pretty nice overview, do you think you could include gearing/gemming optimization and stat priority as well? Also important information!
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    10/04/2012 05:47 AMPosted by Bestworld
    Ok here’s where a lot of priests start QQ’ing about mana. STOP TECHING MINDBENDER! Stop it! Now! It’s a PVE talent that allows raiders a continuous supply of mana, in fact the pet actually gives LESS mana per attack when you use it.

Mana is still a huge issue, rapture is terrible now. You can still Mindbender three times before Shadowfiend comes off CD (any decent 3's team will CC either of these pets) Getting some mana back is better than no mana at all.

Assuming the fiend is not CC'd and gets its hits off.

Shadowfiend - 90k mana back every three minutes(3% of mana, .3*300,000)
    Mindbender - 45k mana back every 1 minute(.15*300,000) 135kmana returned if used on cool down.

Feel free to correct my (possible?) gorilla math.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    i disagree that psyfiend should not be picked. mind control is good for arenas for the most part (or unless you're doing rbg and your group is strong enough to keep you from being trained will you see mind control being useful too) only or under a 2vs2 scenario. if people are using their brains to focus healer try using mind control to save you from 3 or 2 melee and a caster free casting. you'll get locked out for even trying to fast cast it so psyfiend has it's usefulness for crowd peels. tendrils are also good but requires close range to cast and if any melee or caster knows to kill the tendrils will only break through it with one crit or hard damage. psyfiend gives you more time to heal up or run from danger.

being a healer were meant to be trained and mind control will not save you but psyfiend will. void tendrils comming in 2nd cause people can demolish it so quick it hardly exist for it to matter. psyfiend can fear twice after someone trinkets the 1st fear usually getting 3 fears out buying you 3-4 sec's of time to move and heal up so it's far from a bad choice.

bottom line all three choices are preferencial neither ones are terribad.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    don't waste your time with disc until we get buffed, roll spriest and pray for disc buffs, check and see how many disc priests are high up on ladders
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Add this to your macros please... it allows you to have one button for Purify and Dispel Magic.

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift, @player] Purify; [@mouseover, nodead, help] Purify; [@mouseover, nodead, harm] Dispel Magic; [help, nodead] Purify; [harm, nodead] Dispel Magic; [@player] Purify
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Pretty nice overview, do you think you could include gearing/gemming optimization and stat priority as well? Also important information!

I actually don't know too much about it at the moment, only been playing priest for about a month but when I learn I'll add it in!

Mana is still a huge issue, rapture is terrible now. You can still Mindbender three times before Shadowfiend comes off CD (any decent 3's team will CC either of these pets) Getting some mana back is better than no mana at all.

Assuming the fiend is not CC'd and gets its hits off.

Shadowfiend - 90k mana back every three minutes(3% of mana, .3*300,000)
    Mindbender - 45k mana back every 1 minute(.15*300,000) 135kmana returned if used on cool down.

Feel free to correct my (possible?) gorilla math.

Against any decent team either pet will be CC'd, I suppose it isn't all bad, I just personally prefer the instant procs over a pet, and I try to use fiend when as many enemies are CC'd as possible, since we can't dispel him properly any more :c

i disagree that psyfiend should not be picked. mind control is good for arenas for the most part (or unless you're doing rbg and your group is strong enough to keep you from being trained will you see mind control being useful too) only or under a 2vs2 scenario. if people are using their brains to focus healer try using mind control to save you from 3 or 2 melee and a caster free casting. you'll get locked out for even trying to fast cast it so psyfiend has it's usefulness for crowd peels. tendrils are also good but requires close range to cast and if any melee or caster knows to kill the tendrils will only break through it with one crit or hard damage. psyfiend gives you more time to heal up or run from danger.

being a healer were meant to be trained and mind control will not save you but psyfiend will. void tendrils comming in 2nd cause people can demolish it so quick it hardly exist for it to matter. psyfiend can fear twice after someone trinkets the 1st fear usually getting 3 fears out buying you 3-4 sec's of time to move and heal up so it's far from a bad choice.

bottom line all three choices are preferencial neither ones are terribad.

The main reason I dislike Psyfiend is that it forces you into a defensive play-style, hanging back and fearing from a distance is only effective against teams like TSG or Ret/Dk/Priest who can swap to you quickly and violate you, Mind Control is better against teams like RMP or other control comps that rely on you playing aggressively to force cooldowns early, it's not that it is a bad ability, I just feel that Mind Control is much more powerful if used properly.

In RBG's however Fiend is probably better.

10/04/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Fissy
    don't waste your time with disc until we get buffed, roll spriest and pray for disc buffs, check and see how many disc priests are high up on ladders

Coming from playing a mage for several years I'm really over offensive caster playstyles so I won't personally be going shadow any time soon, plus I've only been playing priest for about a month so I need to practice disc! :))

Add this to your macros please... it allows you to have one button for Purify and Dispel Magic.

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift, @player] Purify; [@mouseover, nodead, help] Purify; [@mouseover, nodead, harm] Dispel Magic; [help, nodead] Purify; [harm, nodead] Dispel Magic; [@player] Purify

Can't believe I forgot it! I use something similar, so I'll add both in when I get the chance.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Oh also if you think it's worthy please ask for a sticky so people can find it easier! <3
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Priest
    I don't know why people are debating which talents are better to go into, the bottom line is that blizzard removed the old talent system so people are free to use the abilities that better enhance their play style. Sure, there are definitely talents which are more effective in PvE but in PvP you can definitely be a lot more versatile, it's kind of the point of it.
    Reply Quote
    wait. disc priests dont suck right now?
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    I'll also be adding variant builds depending on what you're up against, started using things like Psyfiend (Yes I know! D:) against teams that train me (hunter/pal) where tendrils would be less effective.

Shame about warriors but :p

10/05/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Dishmayhem
    wait. disc priests dont suck right now?

It's not so much that we suck, it's just that every other class is doing better. :p

That was the point but it ends up not working that way. There is some matter of preference but for the most part there is very little choice involved.

Personally, I go with Void Tendrils otherwise every melee will train you to death, moreso than they already do.

Phantasm is a must IMO.

Agree with FDCL. Mindbender is not good for PvP.

Normally I go with PI but testing DI right now. Seems good despite eating up mana.

Agreed with Halo.

Pretty much, priests actually have a lot of variety in their builds compared to other classes, which is awesome! Mages literally have a set build per spec (cant skip scorch as fire, ring of frost etc etc).
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Updated/added more stuff.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    great tips for pvp disc, nice :D
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    10/06/2012 02:45 AMPosted by Gomill
    great tips for pvp disc, nice :D

Thank you sir!
    Reply Quote
    90k? more like 9000

0.03%
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    90k? more like 9000

0.03%

Not sure what you mean exactly, are you talking about Fiend's mana return?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]