Tricks of Our Trade: Come Back Cloaked!

In an attempt to bring the rogue community together, I say we follow in the footsteps of the Sentry Totem, Mangle: Bear, and more recently Power Word: (for those who don't know, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969937219#3 explains this. Link and info taken from Elethia's Power Word: Threads) and try to keep each thread up and running to cap.

The Archives for the Tricks of our Trade threads can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4038615496?page=1#0

So, down to the business! Rules of the Thread are as follows:

1. Play nice! We're here to help boost the community, not rip it to shreds with our daggers! Every rogue has the right to come post on the forums, so please no bashing other players in the thread (or any others for that matter). Disagreements will happen, but don't let them turn into screaming matches.

2. Its all about having fun with your fellow rogues! Try not to change the subjects to hating whatever the flavor of the month class is or whatnot. We want the rogue community to look good! (at least, on the surface :P). Casual chatting between the rogues is encouraged.

3. Try to help out your fellow players! Whether it be for pve, pvp, soloing content, 1v1ing, stealthing through Orgrimmar or Stormwind for giggles, or whatever may come up. After all, it'll only make us look better as a whole.

4. More to be added if needed later.

We have a vent server now, kindly donated by one of our own!
Rogue Vent:

legacy.darkstarvent.com

No password

I miss Cloaked! Didn't see a title. Will change when needed. ^_^
90 Draenei Monk
Why in the CHRIST do I need 400 northrend herbs. God awful.
More importantly, why is your monk picture cooler than mine?
90 Night Elf Rogue
I really enjoyed some of the heroic versions of some of the old dungeons. I did Scarlet and Scholo. They really did a good job of streamlining them. In Scarlet I really liked how they combined multiple versions, kinda sad they didnt put in the "secret boss" though. Brings back that old school feeling to where you can not help smiling.

*shuffle shuffle*
*shuffle shuffle*
*shuffle shuffle*
*shuffle shuffle*

Kiwe has assaulted the Tricks of the Trade thread! If left undefended, the Horde will control it in one minute!

I forgot about this...
Edited by Kuyk on 10/4/2012 7:36 AM PDT
100 Human Rogue
I posted in another thread, and sheeva correctly pointed out that my reply was slightly offtopic.

Which was true, to an extent. I don't want to derail that thread, and it appears the OP has since edited the original post, which is fine, but I got something on my mind.

The idea is that we are all things squishy and weak right now. Which isn't explicitly true, over long periods, but the short term is where we are lacking I think.

I'll warn any passersby that I talk concepts, not specifics. Energy isn't the problem, its combo points. We don't have enough right now to do the things we need to do in a short time frame. AoE is hindered from dying mobs. Single target is hindered from switching mobs, which forces us to re-spend most of our hard earned CP on buffs, not direct damage which is most useful for short time frames, but not high enough to forgo maintaining said buffs.

Our tax is SnD and Rupture, and its high enough to charge interest in the form of Recuperate, Feint, and our precious cooldowns. All because our greater reliance on CP as our stacking mechanism. They removed the other ramp up mechanics, but I believe that nothing has changed.

I say all that, because I believe that Versatility may be the greatest unsung talent that everyone ignores. I'll definitely be giving it more of a go and see if things feel better. I encourage outhers to give it a try as well while you are out doing your unimportant non-patchwork encounter stuff. :)
90 Worgen Death Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f488uJAQgmw

THIS WILL NOT STAND

'MERICA!
...The idea is that we are all things squishy and weak right now. Which isn't explicitly true, over long periods, but the short term is where we are lacking I think.

I'll warn any passersby that I talk concepts, not specifics. Energy isn't the problem, its combo points. We don't have enough right now to do the things we need to do in a short time frame. AoE is hindered from dying mobs. Single target is hindered from switching mobs, which forces us to re-spend most of our hard earned CP on buffs, not direct damage which is most useful for short time frames, but not high enough to forgo maintaining said buffs...

Its funny you mention this. I am currently leveling a monk for future guild raids and I am really surprised no one has mentioned that chi/cp similarities or concept that could be used for Rogues. I am sure most if not all Rogues would appreciate cp decay rather than complete cp loss on dead mobs or despawning mobs rather.

I think I read something not long ago in regards to why someone "thought" Rogues would be overpowered if cp stayed with us. Could anyone elaborate?
90 Draenei Monk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8C4TCpdYlA&feature=related

Modders have too much free time.
100 Human Rogue
...The idea is that we are all things squishy and weak right now. Which isn't explicitly true, over long periods, but the short term is where we are lacking I think.

I'll warn any passersby that I talk concepts, not specifics. Energy isn't the problem, its combo points. We don't have enough right now to do the things we need to do in a short time frame. AoE is hindered from dying mobs. Single target is hindered from switching mobs, which forces us to re-spend most of our hard earned CP on buffs, not direct damage which is most useful for short time frames, but not high enough to forgo maintaining said buffs...

Its funny you mention this. I am currently leveling a monk for future guild raids and I am really surprised no one has mentioned that chi/cp similarities or concept that could be used for Rogues. I am sure most if not all Rogues would appreciate cp decay rather than complete cp loss on dead mobs or despawning mobs rather.

I think I read something not long ago in regards to why someone "thought" Rogues would be overpowered if cp stayed with us. Could anyone elaborate?

Its a limitation, it is something to overcome and play with. It is the game. It part of what makes rogues interesting. Rogues would be more powerful without that limitation, but they'd also be less complex.

I've been playing with Versatility, and the initial verdict is very positive. I'm am pretty sure this is the talent to have if you do any amount of target switching.

Here's a tip:

You can "walk" your combo points with you on all the mobs around, even ones you aren't attacking. So long as you keep moving them, they never decay, its like anticipation on the target.

You can move them on critters.

Yes...critters.

I can't believe no one talks about this. :O
100 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Aeriwen
I can't believe no one talks about this. :O

Probably because it is so niche.

Really the only time it will be used is on heavy target swap fights.

Not only that but with anticipation you can pseudo redirect...further encroaching on versatility's already small niche.
93 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Aeriwen
Energy isn't the problem, its combo points. We don't have enough right now to do the things we need to do in a short time frame.

I don't think you can make an either-or argument here. Energy and combo points are part of the same system. If you don't have enough energy, you can't do stuff. If you don't have enough combo points, you can't do stuff. And in an overall sense, right now we have less of *both* than we did at the end of Cata. Our haste is far lower, so we regen energy far more slowly, so we can't do as much stuff. Our crit is far lower, so passives like Seal Fate and Honor Among Thieves proc less frequently, so we generate combo points more slowly, so we can't do as much stuff. And the semi-removal of Vanish as a DPS cooldown (via passives like Overkill) doesn't help the low haste levels, although I'd argue that loss is offset by our lower ramp-up time across the board (thanks mostly to the poison changes).

Rogues were at the top of the mountain at the end of Cata. We largely ruled the roost in key measures in competitive PvE and PvP. Our crit and haste levels were at their highest point. Combat in particular was like a carpal tunnel-inducing form of lightning in a bottle. So it really doesn't surprise me at all that when stats are retuned for a new expansion and we all come back to earth, it actually feels like we've crashed into a far larger hole than we actually did.
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Woran
'MERICA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

They may have a larger alphabet, but they will never have our washington!
100 Human Rogue
10/04/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Rfeann
Energy isn't the problem, its combo points. We don't have enough right now to do the things we need to do in a short time frame.

I don't think you can make an either-or argument here. Energy and combo points are part of the same system. If you don't have enough energy, you can't do stuff. If you don't have enough combo points, you can't do stuff. And in an overall sense, right now we have less of *both* than we did at the end of Cata. Our haste is far lower, so we regen energy far more slowly, so we can't do as much stuff. Our crit is far lower, so passives like Seal Fate and Honor Among Thieves proc less frequently, so we generate combo points more slowly, so we can't do as much stuff. And the semi-removal of Vanish as a DPS cooldown (via passives like Overkill) doesn't help the low haste levels, although I'd argue that loss is offset by our lower ramp-up time across the board (thanks mostly to the poison changes).

Rogues were at the top of the mountain at the end of Cata. We largely ruled the roost in key measures in competitive PvE and PvP. Our crit and haste levels were at their highest point. Combat in particular was like a carpal tunnel-inducing form of lightning in a bottle. So it really doesn't surprise me at all that when stats are retuned for a new expansion and we all come back to earth, it actually feels like we've crashed into a far larger hole than we actually did.

I terrible explaining things, but after having written it, I think it can be better summed up as it feels much worse than it is doing everyday stuff because we lose the combo points. Which is like losing energy all the time when something dies.

You are right ofcourse, I just wanted to explain why people should be using versatility in thier everyday stuff until we steamroll everything again with a suplus of stats, such that it doesn't matter.

Redirecting CP between encounters is amazing!
are mix tapes/cds/playlists still cool?
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/04/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Redfang

The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules. Anyway... I've started to make a tape... in my head... for Laura. Full of stuff she likes. Full of stuff that make her happy. For the first time I can sort of see how that is done.

-Hight Fedlity
10/04/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Gyroscope
I would say not

I'll have to change that then.
10/04/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Redfang

playlists, yes.

8tracks.com is a good website if you are into making playlist and want other people to listen to it all the time.
90 Pandaren Monk
So, I've decided to keep brewmaster full time.

Then I decided to get rid of mistweaver because they're slow at questing.

Then I got rid of windwalker because it's too squish.

halp
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]