Tricks of Our Trade: Come Back Cloaked!

35 Draenei Priest
I have achieved my first low rated post!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794980604?page=1

D3 wow haters can't handle the truth I guess.

The D3 forums really were doomed from the beginning. They are a melting pot of degenerates, morons and people who are just plain idiots. If you so much as think about posting on your WoW profile there, they will bite your head off as though you're trying to kill their baby with a hammer.

I made a post about how much I loved D3 early after release; it was immediately inundated with trolls, and when I replied with something along the lines of "If you don't like the game, stop playing you !@#$ing moron," I was temporarily banned by a CM.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Sometimes it really feels like Blizzard is trying to promote trolling. :P
90 Human Rogue
It really is quite sad that the community has been so taken over.

The game isn't bad, it just has no end game except grind gear to grind gear. And the initial difficulty is a bit high I think for level 60. They apeear to be trying to address the concerns. I am confident that D3 can make a fun game that will continue to engage players. The basics are all there, the skill system is simply enlightened. I kinda wish we had a similar system. There are just too many abilities in WoW. I sure that it turns a lot of players off.

Of course, that opinion now pegs me squarely as wanting to "dumb down the game". I think though, the fifty billion skill system is the last bastion of a MMO gaming that needs to go. Somehow the genre evolved to prioritize button mashing and keybinding over choosing the right skill for the job. I think it was a step back.

Putting my EQ hat on, you has to choose which spells you wanted to learn and have available with you. There were 8 spell gems and you could put any of your spell from your spellbook in there, but you have to chose because it was difficult, but not impossible to change in combat. And doing do incurred a cooldown. I played a druid and the only things I had to watch were my longish term buffs (Over 10 minutes or so, so no constant monitoring, and you could feel when buffs dropped, you didn't need the buff icon to let you know it was there.) Druids has a lot fo dots too, but you knew how long they lasted because you cast them so much. I could perfect cast my dots without losing a tick or overwriting them, despite no debuff tracking on the mob. That's because it was one of the few things you had to track and there weren't a bunch of separate buffs and debuff duration to juggle.

You shouldn't need a naga or nostrmo to play a game. And as correlary, you shouldn't need to use a bunch of addons to give you the information you need. The interface needs to be simple, and effective. I'm not sure where we got to the position of having to monitor multiple timers on buffs, debuffs and cooldowns to play at a high level. Sure, you can get by with the default UI, as I have been experimenting since 5.0 hit, but there is so much to be wanted from the UI, than isn't even necessary in the first place.

I almost feel like the game would be improved if it assumed you were going to play in combat with a gamepad.
Edited by Aeriwen on 10/6/2012 6:54 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Rogue
They're actually preparing their final assault right now. On the TooT thread.
Brace yourselves!!!!
90 Human Rogue
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/181/534/10289382.jpg
90 Human Rogue
I feel for daxx having to read that thread. I'm not even entirely comfortable about what I wrote. It just comes off so negative.
10 Goblin Rogue
10/06/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Aeriwen
Of course, that opinion now pegs me squarely as wanting to "dumb down the game". I think though, the fifty billion skill system is the last bastion of a MMO gaming that needs to go.

I don't think it puts you into a stance of wanting to dumb down the game at all.

The current bloat of abilities in the game give a false sense of depth. Although a lot of abilities have slight variations, they're ultimately the same exact thing, just with a different coat of paint on them. They serve the same functions, and accomplish the same goals, they just have a different name, icon, and sometimes, a different animation attached to them.

I would be all for cutting out the bloat, if it meant giving players options to truly specialize their characters in a way that was meaningful.

D3 does a wonderful job in that regard. Sure, you can only have a handful of abilities, but each one truly makes your character feel and play differently. To take a page from a recent MMO, GW2 makes every weapon set you have feel vastly different from the others. They have bugs they need to work out of the system, because each set isn't equal when it comes to balance, but the direction they took with it is wonderful.

I'm not going to rant on about it, but I'm in agreement that you don't need a vast quantity of abilities to achieve character and play style depth, you only need to offer real variety with a few.

Also, as you can tell, I'm in a better mood after a good night's sleep and the first half of my morning revolving around spending some quality time with my daughter. My time here is limited, and ultimately, it just makes more sense to focus on making the most of the time I have, rather than staying emo and keeping myself away from a place I enjoy.
Edited by Sheevah on 10/6/2012 8:16 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue
Well, I'll be sad to see you go. But life moves on. I missed about 2 years or so during BC while going to school and working a fantastic job. And I still take breaks often to play other games. Those breaks are probably the only reason I still find the game fun, because I'm never quite bored with the game itself. If I only played wow, I would probably have left long ago for good.
Edited by Aeriwen on 10/6/2012 8:27 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue
I got two worn junkboxes in the scarlet revamp, wth! And level 21 potions...

You gotta love silly bugs. :)

I wonder why the battltground music plays in dread wastes...seems a little weird and out of place.
Edited by Aeriwen on 10/6/2012 8:55 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
I swear leveling this crit chicken is easier than my rogue was >_>
90 Human Rogue
I haven't ever played boomkin. I have some unwarranted, and unnatural disgust for the spec. I am not sure why. It is complete prejustice, I know. It is just that when I see one I want to stab it. Many. Many. Times.
10 Goblin Rogue
I leveled a lazer chicken up in my spare time in Cata. After I hit level cap, I lost any desire to play the toon after about a week. As such, it's been collecting dust ever since.
90 Night Elf Druid
I'll be going Resto, I don't necessarily like boomkin but it's easier to collect healing gear while crit chickening.

Going to juggle 3 characters this expansion rather than 10, 1 healer, 1 tank, 1 dps.

DPS: Rogue(Zanumas)
Healer: Druid(Nanethiel)
Tank: Death Knight(Zane)
Edited by Nanethiel on 10/6/2012 10:49 AM PDT
90 Human Rogue
Probably two for me.

Aeriwen and my Paladin (Prot/Holy), Tweedled if I either don't like my monk or don't level it. My pally is a good backup I think, since I can also play my pally if for some reason rogues just can't perform for a while. Its so ridiculously easy to gear str dps and holy heals as prot. And dpsing ret is like playing whack a mole, not exactly a lot going there.
90 Night Elf Druid
Probably two for me.

Aeriwen and my Paladin (Prot/Holy), Tweedled if I either don't like my monk or don't level it. My pally is a good backup I think, since I can also play my pally if for some reason rogues just can't perform for a while. Its so ridiculously easy to gear str dps and holy heals as prot. And dpsing ret is like playing whack a mole, not exactly a lot going there.

My friends want me to roll my paladin as Holy because I was a stellar healer for them but I can't stand it. I had one as my main alt from like Ulduar until Firelands and almost raided as much on him as my DK/Rogue with alt runs and such and I'm just sick of it at this point.

Doing this character as Tank/Healer would save me leveling up another character but I love my DK and I have an entire 450 ilvl set waiting for her at 90 excluding trinkets.
Edited by Nanethiel on 10/6/2012 11:01 AM PDT
90 Worgen Mage
10/06/2012 03:03 AMPosted by Vyomini
Does anyone know if the Shado-Pan mounts are in the game? They are the only cat mounts I would ever ride.

Don't know how late this is, but yes, they are, at the Shado-Pan Garrison in Townlong. Costs 425 for a blue one, and gets progressively more expensive for different colors.
90 Human Rogue
10/06/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Pundas
Does anyone know if the Shado-Pan mounts are in the game? They are the only cat mounts I would ever ride.

Don't know how late this is, but yes, they are, at the Shado-Pan Garrison in Townlong. Costs 425 for a blue one, and gets progressively more expensive for different colors.

Requires Exalted I'm assuming?
90 Worgen Mage
10/06/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Zanumas
Requires Exalted I'm assuming?

Aye
86 Night Elf Rogue
10/06/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Sheevah
I'm in agreement that you don't need a vast quantity of abilities to achieve character and play style depth, you only need to offer real variety with a few.
ikr? WoW is the first game that I've played that required 30+ keybinds to not only be competitive but to even function. And with other MMOs trying to mimic WoW's success, they're starting to look the same (swtor just felt like Space WoW).

GW2's skill system, on the other hand, looks fresh. They all have a self heal, some buff abilities, 5 rotational abilities based on weapons that are equipped and a core Class ability, like a Necro's Death Shroud or an Elementalist's ability to change attunement, which changes they're weapon skills into something completely new.

Has anyone played? I've just seen vids and they look awesome.
86 Night Elf Rogue
WHOA! If a civilization a million lightyears away was pointing a telescope at us right now, all they would see is dinosaurs.

mind = blown
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]