Kinda new to Affliction warlock...

89 Blood Elf Warlock
I feel like I'm kinda mashing buttons and hopeing things die. What order do you cast your spells? Do you cast differently in dungeons?

Currently I seem to cast:
Unstable affliction
than Agony
than corruption
than curse of enfeeblement
than fel flame
than haunt
And then Drain Soul until the mob is dead

Should I change it up? Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
My opener is:

Curse of Elements
SB: Soul Swap
Haunt
Channel Malefic Grasp

then repeat reapplying Haunt & Dots as necessary and filling the rest of the time w/ MG, switching MG to Drain Soul at 20%.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Just an easy question, does SB: SS apply agony, corr, and UA to a target even if you haven't laid them down yet? I was under the impression you needed to put your dots on the target before being able to swap them onto another target.

If you can, in fact, open with SB: SS to apply all your dots without actually hard casting them all, then that would make sense as to why people aren't using the soul swap glyph (although it maybe be useful on multi target fights). If this is the case, is it a DPS gain to always use SB:SS to reapply your DoTs, or should you save your shards for haunts?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
1. Yes, SB: SS does apply all 3 to start (and if you use it later on, will refresh all 3 as well)
2. Not sure why people aren't using the glyph on multi-target fights as switching all your dots completely off Target 1 to Target 2, etc. seems suboptimal at best and just flat awful at worst.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Just an easy question, does SB: SS apply agony, corr, and UA to a target even if you haven't laid them down yet? I was under the impression you needed to put your dots on the target before being able to swap them onto another target.

If you can, in fact, open with SB: SS to apply all your dots without actually hard casting them all, then that would make sense as to why people aren't using the soul swap glyph (although it maybe be useful on multi target fights). If this is the case, is it a DPS gain to always use SB:SS to reapply your DoTs, or should you save your shards for haunts?

SB:SS does indeed automaticaly apply Agony, Corruption, and U-Affliction to the target instantly. (The best thing since sliced bread when referring to an affliction lock).

The method you are referring to where it takes the existing DoT's from a target and moves them to a new target occurs when you use SoulSwap without the use of SoulBurn first.

For those who do not have SoulSwap (I think lvl 69), they will want to apply Agony, Corruption and then U-Affliction, in that order.

Like someone else mentioned, do not forget Curse of Elements, but really only on bosses... everything else dies instantly these days. hell I only apply corruption on trash mobs otherwise it dies before Malific grasp even has time to hit.

Affliction lock damage on AoE targets or targets that Bliz has nerfed down to no life, is pretty weak sauce. We shine on those boss fights that take more than 10 seconds...

none the less, this guy has it nearly spot on.

My opener is:

Curse of Elements
SB: Soul Swap
Haunt
Channel Malefic Grasp

then repeat reapplying Haunt & Dots as necessary and filling the rest of the time w/ MG, switching MG to Drain Soul at 20%.

Some useful reads:
http://icy-veins.com/affliction-warlock-wow-pve-dps-guide
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
1. Yes, SB: SS does apply all 3 to start (and if you use it later on, will refresh all 3 as well)
2. Not sure why people aren't using the glyph on multi-target fights as switching all your dots completely off Target 1 to Target 2, etc. seems suboptimal at best and just flat awful at worst.

The glyph is definately great. Although the rate in which mobs die make it less desirable to me to swap souls for free (without burning a shard) because of the cooldown associated with it. I wish it did not make us wait to SB:SS and maybe only make us wait to SS. That way I wasnt standing there until the cooldown completes before tagging another mob.

most tanks pull packs of mobs within 4 secs of each other... things just die way too fast (my reference is pre-pandaria)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/04/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Lynxia
The method you are referring to where it takes the existing DoT's from a target and moves them to a new target occurs when you use SoulSwap without the use of SoulBurn first.
I thought the glyph allows you to keep DoTs on your main target while swapping to a second target. Unglyphed it'd just remove from one and transfer to another. Doesn't soul burn just make it instant and not have anything to do with keeping the DoTs on the original target?
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't been using SB:SS b/c I didn't really understand it. I'll try using it more now!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
And I don't know if someone answered this already, but is SB:SS actually a DPS gain over using haunts? Because I'm either going to use shards on SB:SS or on haunt, so are you saying that haunt shouldn't even be part of the rotation and the extra time spend casting MG from not needing to hardcast UA/agony/corr makes up for the loss of damage from haunts?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/04/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Loktronotron
And I don't know if someone answered this already, but is SB:SS actually a DPS gain over using haunts? Because I'm either going to use shards on SB:SS or on haunt, so are you saying that haunt shouldn't even be part of the rotation and the extra time spend casting MG from not needing to hardcast UA/agony/corr makes up for the loss of damage from haunts?

Absolutely. SB+SS is a major DPS increase over using a Haunt.

Haunts are meant to be used at the proper times, not to be used to try and maintain the debuff as close to 100% of the time. That's impossible. Using Haunt is about timing, knowing the fights and knowing when you're going to have the time to cast and sit still for MG spamming. Right after a major movement phase, or during a burn phase.

Right now, people are learning the fights, so our DPS isn't going to be as great as it should be. Other classes can just spam one or two buttons and do pretty good. Aff has to know the timing of the fights to get the most out of our DPS abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Haunts are meant to be used at the proper times, not to be used to try and maintain the debuff as close to 100% of the time. That's impossible. Using Haunt is about timing, knowing the fights and knowing when you're going to have the time to cast and sit still for MG spamming. Right after a major movement phase, or during a burn phase.
So just for clarity, when are you saying the best time to use haunt is?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
10/04/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Loktronotron
I thought the glyph allows you to keep DoTs on your main target while swapping to a second target. Unglyphed it'd just remove from one and transfer to another. Doesn't soul burn just make it instant and not have anything to do with keeping the DoTs on the original target?

Glyph of SoulSwap does allow you to keep the dots on the target and move them to another (now you have two targets with dots), at the expense of having a cooldown when you do this on soulswap.

Un-glyphed, just like you said, it moves the dots to the new target rather than copying them. There is no cooldown associated this way.

Using Soulburn - SoulSwap combo applys dots instantly without any cooldown to soulswap. Also, correct in saying this does not require a target with dots already to copy/move from.

10/04/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Loktronotron

You definitely want to use both DoT's and Haunt. Haunt will boost all spell damage done to the target and also acts as a little burst when it hits. Together they are most powerful. Use the Glyph of SoulShards so you can carry 4 shards rather than 3. This is the most important glyph for an affliction lock. If shards never ran out, in a perfect world you would keep dots on the target always, and you would have haunt on the target always.

Because they are not though, open up with the SB:SS and haunt, but then if you run short (nightfall not procing or your not in the last 20% using drain soul) then it is most important to keep your dots up as corruption is what triggers nightfall. Out of the three, make absolute certain that agony does not fall off and reset to 1 stack... even if this means applying agony on its own to refresh it.

A cheap way to refresh dots quicker when you have no shards is to use felflame + agony. Takes 2 seconds base (not counting haste) and will fix the issue.

if you are about to move for fight mechanics, dont use haunt. Use haunt when you know you can sit there spamming MG. If you need to move, spam felflame while facing the boss while moving so your always applying pressure to the mob.
Edited by Lynxia on 10/4/2012 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/04/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Loktronotron
So just for clarity, when are you saying the best time to use haunt is?
Lol, seriously?

when you're going to have the time to cast and sit still for MG spamming. Right after a major movement phase, or during a burn phase.

Also, I don't know why you wouldn't be taking glyph of soul swap as SB:SS doesn't activate the cooldown. Only a soul swap does.

At least that's how it was on beta, I haven't really played affliction much since 5.0 cause I'm burning through levels with destro.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/04/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Sveik
Lol, seriously?
You can't accept the fact that someone who isn't familiar with Affliction may want to make sure they understood it correctly? The wording of your paragraph was kind of odd, took me a couple reads through to get what you were saying. Other people may have had the same question. Instead of being a douche about it you could've just said only use in burns or standing still.

That being said, you are still saying that you want to use haunt when you can stand still, yet you are also saying you want to use SB:SS to refresh DoTs. You can't do both assuming you're not crazy lucky with nightfall. So FOR CLARITY, are you saying you should ONLY be doing SB:SS when you are needing to move a lot? No need to be a @*@#*%## about it, I've literally played Affliction for a day. There's still little tricks about Destro I'm picking up on after playing it for all of Cata and MoP (granted it totally changed in MoP). The little things are what makes good Affliction players great Affliction players, and I have no intention of being just "good," even if it means I may look dumb to you by asking for clarification.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/04/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Loktronotron
You can't accept the fact that someone who isn't familiar with Affliction may want to make sure they understood it correctly? The wording of your paragraph was kind of odd, took me a couple reads through to get what you were saying. Other people may have had the same question. Instead of being a douche about it you could've just said only use in burns or standing still.
Dude, I wasn't the one who originally replied to you. That would be Infernalist. I just thought it was amusing that you quoted the guy and asked a question when the answer was right there, wasn't trying to be a douche.

even if it means I may look dumb to you by asking for clarification.
I'm wasn't putting you down and not once did I say you were stupid, you jumped to that conclusion yourself.

Anyway, it would all depend on the fight. If there is a lot of moving, then of course using SB:SS would be fairly optimal. However, if there is only a couple of movements in the fight, trying to get the most out of your haunt would be optimal. It's all about knowing your burning opportunities.

That's just my opinion anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Okay, here's how it works:

Affliction is based on dots, but most of your DPS isn't coming from the standard ticking of the dots. I know, it's weird, but most of your damage comes from Malefic Grasp.

MG, by itself, won't do much damage, but what it does is create 'shadow dots', MG-based mirror dots based on your Agony, Corr and UA that work the exact same way, but only at 50% effect, I believe.

What this means is, is that when you have time and positioning to use MG, THAT is when you want to hit DS(Agony at 10 stacks, full duration on UA and Corr), your trinkets if any, Haunt and then MG until you have to move or you have a Shard to spend on a second Haunt.

When you open with SB+SS, you instantly put all three dots up, followed by a Haunt and then MG to get Agony to 10 stacks asap. Now, if you know you've got time and the opportunity to sit still, then yes, MG your butt off. Because MG indirectly doubles your chances at a Nightfall proc due to the 'shadow' Corruption dot that MG creates when you channel it on a target with Corr on it.

So, save your Haunts unless you've got tons of Nightfall procs going on due to spreading Corruption around on various targets.

It's often best to consider Haunt as a DPS CD that you use when you know you can sit still and cast for at least...8 seconds, if not ten.

Does this help at all?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Makes sense. It's a lot easier to figure out when you know then theory behind everything rather than just looking at a chart from noxxic that says do this this then this. So if I understand correctly, you are going to want to pretty much always use SB:SS to refresh DoTs (specifcally UA since agony and corr are instant cast but it will refresh all). MG as much as possible, haunt when you use your cooldowns or if you are proccing a lot of nightfalls to avoid having 4 shards during the fight.

I haven't experienced this exactly since I've only practiced on dummies so far, but when you're filling with drain soul I'm assuming the shard regen is such that you can pretty much always have enough for haunts and SB:SS. If not you still prioritize SB:SS (don't use your last shard on haunt) before casting haunt.

Last question, I downloaded Quartz for seeing the ticks on MG and DS, but is there any other add on you recommend for Affliction? I'm specifically looking for one that shows the active DoTs and possibly times for multiple targets. I use ForteX for Destro, but on multi targets it just stacks everything on top of each other and it's hard to track individual DoTs on different targets to keep multi target DoT uptime as high as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Makes sense. It's a lot easier to figure out when you know then theory behind everything rather than just looking at a chart from noxxic that says do this this then this. So if I understand correctly, you are going to want to pretty much always use SB:SS to refresh DoTs (specifcally UA since agony and corr are instant cast but it will refresh all). MG as much as possible, haunt when you use your cooldowns or if you are proccing a lot of nightfalls to avoid having 4 shards during the fight.

I haven't experienced this exactly since I've only practiced on dummies so far, but when you're filling with drain soul I'm assuming the shard regen is such that you can pretty much always have enough for haunts and SB:SS. If not you still prioritize SB:SS (don't use your last shard on haunt) before casting haunt.

Last question, I downloaded Quartz for seeing the ticks on MG and DS, but is there any other add on you recommend for Affliction? I'm specifically looking for one that shows the active DoTs and possibly times for multiple targets. I use ForteX for Destro, but on multi targets it just stacks everything on top of each other and it's hard to track individual DoTs on different targets to keep multi target DoT uptime as high as possible.

You've almost got it right. You don't want to SB+SS after your dots are up and running due to the fact that your dots have a relatively low uptime on their own. What you want to do is clip them with less than 3 seconds. 'Clipping' is something we always tried to avoid in the past, but now, it's okay with less than 3 seconds, as it just adds onto the duration of the original cast.

The point to using SB+SS to start it off is for the DPS burst born from having all 3 dots up with one global whereas if you do it manually, you're looking at 2 globals and a 2 second(I think) casted UA. Why is it so important? Because getting Agony to ten stacks asap is a big big thing and MG makes those stacks happen within 2 MG channelings.

So, to clarify. You open with SB+SS, but you manually cast your Corr/Agony/UA in order to save your Shards for burn phases and non-movement phases. Don't forget, you can use Fel Fire to keep your UA and Corr ticking, even on the move.

With DS, it becomes incredibly easy. Once you hit 20%, it's Haunt, SB+SS, DS(if available), trinkets, potion, and DS, refreshing Haunt to keep it up at 100% uptime and using SB+SS to refresh your dots before hitting DS again. Repeat until dead. Bear in mind, this rotation(and most of Aff DPS) is based on fighting a mob that lasts for longer than 20 seconds. We shine on boss fights, not so much on trash.

Expect to get thrashed on DPS charts when it comes to trash.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/04/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Infernalist
Expect to get thrashed on DPS charts when it comes to trash.
I usually sip my beer during trash anyway nbd.

So, to clarify. You open with SB+SS, but you manually cast your Corr/Agony/UA in order to save your Shards for burn phases and non-movement phases. Don't forget, you can use Fel Fire to keep your UA and Corr ticking, even on the move.

This is kinda the biggest thing I was looking to clarify on. So you really aren't ever using SB:SS other than your open until burn phase comes up. Just not going to spam haunts either. Make sure you never have 4 shards up, but don't waste them on haunts when you don't have CDs up either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]