Challenge Modes & Healers: Your Thoughts?

22 Goblin Rogue
10/11/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Momofuko

I'd prefer to see skilled healers help with Challenge Modes by allowing the tank to pull more, not by finding ways to deal damage.

And a shaman healing from Ele isn't a healer contributing damage, it's a DPS contributing healing, by definition.

Easy solution is for you to get Gold healing a group using that strategy (which I think you'll be seeing as more people try for Gold and Silver BTW). People are making too much of this the same way they make too much of cutting edge Guilds stacking classes to beat content they shouldn't be able to based on the gear they have.

...and you can use semantics but someone who plays a healer is still a healer in my book even if they spec DPS and are assigned the healing duties. I happen to like that model...it's reminiscent of Vanilla WOW.

I would venture a guess that even someone specced full healing wil be expected to DPS in Challenge modes if they want Gold. The question just becomes the balance between that players damage output and the healing they can do based on their spec and how it synergizes with the other players. The more direct healing from the healer the less the DPS and "Tank" need to use their self healing which in turn means faster kills.

mana regen for all healing classes would not allow your above assumptions to be possible, healers doing all the healing and trying to do as much dps as possible would ooom them fast.

I see why it would be easier to have a shadow priest or ele shammy glyphed/talented with the right utility builds to instead create an all dps team, and this is wrong period and completely goes against the idea that challenge modes are to replace heroic dungeons as the next pinnacle group content.

Right now my main Holy Priest has spent more time specced as Shadow during this Xpac then ever before.

Leveling 85-90 leveled as Shadow to hasten the grind, healing 4 dungeons over and over again would be wrist slashing.

Scenario's- Makes more sense to be in shadow, and i have never been in a pug group that even needed a healer.

Heroic Dungeons- are already faceroll, give everyone a few more upgrades and i could probably start healing these in shadow, while spending most of my time dps'ing.

LFR- Can zerg in shadow spec, or fall asleep healing in Holy spec.

Daily's- rep grind keeps me in shadow spec, i am not masochistic enough to do these in my healing spec.

Challenge Mode Dungeons- Why go holy when I can go shadow if i really want to compete

So,I have normal raids and heroic raids left for me to actually really enjoy healing in this Xpac?

What happened to the philosophy of more DIVERSITY of play that was the premise of this expac?

As i have said before, very disappointing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

mana regen for all healing classes would not allow your above assumptions to be possible, healers doing all the healing and trying to do as much dps as possible would ooom them fast.......
What happened to the philosophy of more DIVERSITY of play that was the premise of this expac?

As i have said before, very disappointing.

Most healing specs have the ability to DPS for free either baseline or through Glyphs. It's similar to bringing a healer to a Scenario. If the other two players only need to focus on damage and can ignore self healing while the Healer adds some damage the run is just as fast (or faster at times) than one where you bring 3 DPS.

As far as diversity it seems like it's you who's limiting yourself. All the things you mentioned outside of Challenge Modes can either be done in your Healing spec (LFR, Scenarios, Heroics) even if you consider them faceroll or it's content where a healing spec has never been optimal (Solo play like Dailies).

I think the ability to respec on the fly added to the existing Dual Spec system means this x-pac offers more diversity of play than ever.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/12/2012 05:45 AMPosted by Momofuko
I think the ability to respec on the fly added to the existing Dual Spec system means this x-pac offers more diversity of play than ever.

If I want to be challenged as a healer, I have... heroic raids, heroic raids, or heroic raids.

Yup. That's sure a lot of diversity.

It seems like, as someone said above, Blizzard thinks healers are gladly embracing the fact that they "finally!" can go DPS primarily. Which is not the case... plenty of us love and prefer healing and only DPS when we have no choice.

There's a lot of diversity of play... if you're DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You're missing the point. All 'healers' just became disenfranchised from top competitive runs completely. This is certainly not what Blizzard had intended and needs to be fixed.

Making comparisons to PvP doesn't work - this isn't PvP regardless of tactics involved. Apples and oranges.

/cry
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
not needing a healer is not just a healer issue, it is a comp issue.

Only if you have a certain tank, certain amount of DPS, certain buffs will various healerless comps be viable.

I imagine this is going to be made very clear by the challenge mode scoreboards. You're going to see certain classes stacked in a group and other classes simply not brought at all.

This is because no matter how much blizzard wants it to be "bring the player not the class" everything they do in the game supports a single player having access to all of the classes. So really its "bring the player who then brings the ideal class."

For those of us who don't care much about alts, or having 1 of each class just to ride blizzard's balance issues out until nerfs happen, this is not a good thing.

Some classes you're simply not going to be able to stack, where others you will. I don't think it's a major breakthrough that the firsts and bleeding edge comps have similarities.

We tried doing on with 3 paladins and a druid. That is a disadvantage simply due to buffs. Even if all other classes are equal, we are missing buffs that we could have with other classes. The classes with stronger AE are preferred in many situations. Range preferred in many situations.

Cooldowns that soak tank damage are obviously preferred and not everyone has it (is anyone really surprised that army of the dead, hunter pet and shaman totem were in the first challenge gold groups?)

Shrug.

In my situation where my friends play paladins and a druid, there is no magical 5th player that makes the comp work. My only options are 1. to get other friends 2. use alts 3. skip out on challenge modes.

It takes fun out of it to realize that comps dominate strategy.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
As a balance primary spec I have no issue as a druid healer healing druid tanks in challenge mode.
Only issue I have is I get 1 shotted all the dang time =o
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]