When is Transcendence used?

90 Blood Elf Monk
Transcendence
0.5 sec cast 45 sec cooldown
You split your body and spirit, leaving your spirit behind for 15 min.

Use Transcendence: Transfer to swap locations with your spirit.

So I read the description and I see the screen shot of it on wowhead and it looks neat and all, but when would you actually use it?

My other 85s are a DK and Hunter and I look at their level 87 ability and they look like solid skills where as to me Transcendence looks like a fluff skill. I didn't level to 90 on beta and I'm not 90 now so I'm guessing that I just don't truly understand the full value of the skill and that our level 87 skill wouldn't be just a fluff one.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
some place a lock would use his portal. I really would like to see the .5 second cast time removed for BMs, but I understand why its there.

Basically anywhere where you need to alternate between two positions quickly is where you would use it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
in PVE? LoS mechanics/pulls on BM.
PVP? Anywhere a Lock would use his portal. Juke people in WSG, get out of dangerous areas on other maps, etc.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
For PvE you can use it to instantly jump out of a boss AoE, or to hop over to where adds will be spawning, or to LoS mobs easily. There's plenty of uses.

Similarly in PvP, like others say, any time you'd portal as a lock.

It's mobility. Mobility is ALWAYS useful.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Once you start fighting Feng, you'll understand.

He's got an ability he casts every 30 seconds forcing you to get away from him and stack. Drop Transcendence in the stack point, teleport there instead of running. Saves you a tick or two of damage from being too close.

That's just one example. It'll be great in PvE on certain fights.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's incredible for helping Mistweaver mobility for shifting seamlessly in & out of melee-range.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It can be very convenient when you need to be somewhere suddenly, but the range is kinda pitiful. I can Flying Serpent Kick farther than that.

The real benefit is that it doesn't require a line of sight.
Reply Quote
AH and mailbox. Exactly what my lock uses his port for.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Pve used between phase shifts or to help with various stack mechanics.
Pvp an example would be in temple of kotmogu, jump down (with orb) pop touch of karma. As it's about to fade teleport back up and out of los.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I guess I'd have to ask how something with a cast time will get me away from a boss faster than a roll would. It usefulness in those situations is offset by its cast time and its range limits, both for the teleport and the distance you move between your body and spirit. ANd the cooldown on the teleport ability is pretty long.

All in all, I'd rather see a nice long cooldown ability that does something cool like a shaman's Elementals or a Hunter's stampede. Maybe you spirit splits from your body and either heals, attacks, or mitigates damage depending on your spec. That would have been useful and cool. We've already got mobility coming out of our asses.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
If you don't use that all the time in PvP you're doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/23/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Fuzzbuzzle
I guess I'd have to ask how something with a cast time will get me away from a boss faster than a roll would.

rolls cant move you behind LoS 40 yards away in .5 seconds.
Reply Quote
I guess I'd have to ask how something with a cast time will get me away from a boss faster than a roll would.

rolls cant move you behind LoS 40 yards away in .5 seconds.

It takes a little over two rolls to go the same distance that Transcendence does. Transcendence: Transfer has a 25 second cooldown. Each roll with have either fifteen or twenty seconds a pop that you're going to be waiting for. Why burn both of those rolls going to a place you know you're going to need to go in advance when you can set up a transfer spot and keep those rolls available?

Pvp an example would be in temple of kotmogu, jump down (with orb) pop touch of karma. As it's about to fade teleport back up and out of LOS

That's one possibility.

On Eye of the Storm, it's fantastic if you're going to be trying to hold the center as you can set the point down behind cover on one side of the bridge and have an easy out, unlike rolling back where enemies can still hit/stun you as you're retreating.

In Alterac Valley, if you're in the bunkers, you slap one down on top of the flag and now if an enemy tries to knock you the floor below, you can transfer right back up (Or if you're taking too much damage, you can jump out a window, heal up and transfer back in without having to go around and hit the door). With Horde Towers, you have fewer opportunities to really exploit this, but you can slap them down between East and West Frostwolf Tower and transfer between the two if Horde's being a pain.

Both flag rooms in WSG/Twin Peaks offer a high-elevated platform you can set a transfer point up on so you can retreat to high ground instantly if you take too much damage. On every capture point map, you can use it to make sure you can always teleport back to the flag in under a second and interrupt a capture attempt without burning your rolls.

May also be useful running bombs to doors on Isle of Conquest, though I haven't tried it yet.
Edited by Fizzlepocket on 10/23/2012 2:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
It is a horrendously lazy spell Blizzard tacked onto monks in beta because they could not come up with anything for level 87 that was remotely decent.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you can't find a use for a teleport on a tanking class you're not trying hard enough.

I've used it vs Harlan for safely getting a good distance from his spin, on Xin the Weaponmaster just in case the ground I am on gets risky... best just teleport away from the bad all together...

Great for kiting, just one of those abilities that is 'useless' and yet you can always find some new imaginative use for it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Gandling teleported me to a room filled with his failed students. I Transcended back out.

Problem, Darkmaster?
Reply Quote
Gandling teleported me to a room filled with his failed students. I Transcended back out.

Problem, Darkmaster?

This, right here. And when trying to get the achievement on Rattlegore, you can get some distance using the teleport.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I don't have a problem with the spell. I rather like it.

It just is not a signature level 87 spell. Most people don't mind because it is a new class. I just believe blizzard ran out of ideas and put a teleport with a stupidly long CD on it.

If monk was not a brand new class, I believe a lot more people would of been upset when they found out the one new MoP spell was transcendence.

Granted my dk got soul reaper and that owns, along with most of my other classes getting something more desirable.

Just didn't give me that shiny, excited to hit 87 feeling in beta that my other toons got.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Elegon
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]