Overall state of 'locks?

90 Undead Warlock
Just curious how people feel locks are overall. I will probably do dungeons, heroics, and some PVP. Not likely to raid seriously much, and I will only be playing 2's arena for fun with a friend.

I have most classes at or around level 85 so I have a lot of choices, including this lock, 85 warrior, 85 DK, 85 paladin, 85 priest, 84 shaman, 81 mage, 82 druid, and 85 rogue.

I just want a well-rounded character and lock is what I gravitated to at first, but not sure how we stack up overall. Questing so far has been okay, although I'm slowing down as I level up past the 85-86 quests.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Fan-!@#$ing-tastic?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Haven't tried Afflict yet but I do love Demo and Destro

Both have very different playstyles to them and I do enjoy jumping in to Melee with my Demo spec.

Destro is what I've been using for solo questing most of the time these days. Once you are on a roll with it it's good for burning through mobs with ease. I know it's tempting to fire off the Chaos Bolt as soon as you have them but I'm finding Fire and Brimstone really handy for general mob farming.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I started out with aff and destro, swapped aff for demo just to give it a feel for the new mechanic (I haven't played in along, long time). Aff is actually pretty solid right at 85 but I didn't like the damage in the easymode dungeons, demo seems to do it better.

I'm also wondering how we might do now if I wanted to go solo old raid content and such? I've got the DK too and I think I might just main warlock and alt the DK. I used to be a MT in vanilla, BC, and a little in Wrath, so I'd like to get back into tanking again too.
Reply Quote
Affliction is nice, good single target, bad aoe, quite decent, at least you don't have to worry about keeping the old awful shadow embrace stacks. I like it quite a lot on pvp.

Demo is by far my favorite in this expansion, nice dps on all acounts, single target, aoe, while moving, you can use demon form whenever you want or need, just amazing.

Destruction I only tried during Cata, seemed kinda cool, but I didn't really like the ember thing, plus I can barely move at all during it, way too turret for me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Affliction is nice, good single target, bad aoe, quite decent, at least you don't have to worry about keeping the old awful shadow embrace stacks. I like it quite a lot on pvp.

Demo is by far my favorite in this expansion, nice dps on all acounts, single target, aoe, while moving, you can use demon form whenever you want or need, just amazing.

Destruction I only tried during Cata, seemed kinda cool, but I didn't really like the ember thing, plus I can barely move at all during it, way too turret for me.

I'd agree here on all accounts. Destro does have some solid AoE though, drop a rain of fire and use fire and brimstone conflag (or imm/inc. if i need some more embers or the mob will last a while, dependong on what's going on), and I have Harvest Life as a filler, also Shadowfury.
Reply Quote
Pretty much this, multi dotting is now quite pointless to attempt, the dots run out quite fast, and without haunt and MG, they barely crit for 7k.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Psyops
We've taken a hit in PvP - multi-DoTing, and thus our overall damage and pressure, is much weaker now than it was in Cataclysm. We've gotten stronger in terms of single-target damage and overall survivability, though.

this ^ plus an extra trinket and bubble
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I've been a Warlock since Vanilla and I am not feeling the cool-factor anymore. Hybrids seem to be the way to go if you want to have fun.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/04/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Adanael
I've been a Warlock since Vanilla and I am not feeling the cool-factor anymore. Hybrids seem to be the way to go if you want to have fun.

Would you care to elaborate? I am genuinely curious.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
10/04/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Mourgrim
Fan-!@#$ing-tastic?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
10/04/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Batatafrita
Pretty much this, multi dotting is now quite pointless to attempt, the dots run out quite fast, and without haunt and MG, they barely crit for 7k.

Multi Doting is for 2 targets only.

Sadly realized this too late this week on my Stone Guard kill.

Next time only gonna keep the 2 "active" ones dotted and just ignore the other two for more dmg.
Edited by Ruyzakia on 10/5/2012 5:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Compare our number of stickies to the other class forums.
Hunters, Shaman and Warrior have one. The rest have more.
We have zilch, which is sad.

Slightly on topic, but slightly off.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
I played warlock since Vanilla but finally leveled a mage and mained that for the entirety of Cataclysm because lock simply wasn't fun anymore for me. I think the new changes breathed a lot of life into the class and added some quality of life improvements but compared to the other classes we're still a bit harder to master but really not THAT bad.

I think you really have to have a love for the class though and all its flavor, along with the play style. Early on before 90 I considered whether I would main my mage or warlock, had an easier time doing dps as mage but now that I'm at 90 I really love my warlock again. I don't quite know why its just really enjoyable for me right now.

Destro is actually a lot of fun to me and quite simple to learn and I think affliction is pretty great too, love pandemic. I love the new talent system too because I can rock with grimoire of supremacy and get the awesome void lord for making dailies even more trivial and its awesome having shadow fury in other specs.

Objectively, I think pve wise we're in a good place. I've played with all 3 specs and find them pretty enjoyable. I'm more of a glass is half full kind of person though that tries to be optimistic, no doubt many of the class changes and balance issues will disappoint or confuse lots of veteran warlocks. Destro at first glance is about as simple as it was in WOTLK but if you want to do decent damage you're going to need to be smart with your embers (which again isn't that hard). Demo is pretty cool too and while its not terribly complicated it is probably the most challenging lock spec to master. Destro and affliction are pretty simple.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I can totally relate to a class becoming "fun" again. As somebody with almost every class at 85 before MOP came out (and that includes taking off most of Cata, I only played a few months and got to 85 on most of my toons), I've switched "mains" many times, even during an expansion.

If we're in a solid state, I'll probably keep on playing. I've been poking around on my DK and Warrior, and one of the things I want to do is be able to tank, and the warlock can't really do that. (Let's not talk about it - I mean, legit tanking, all the time).

The DK is so similar to the lock thematically that it's a natural affinity, and I know they'd be decent at soloing old content too. I find the lock more durable so far, but my lock is better geared than my DK, that basically hit 85 and I quit playing.
Edited by Soularpower on 10/5/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Psyops
We've taken a hit in PvP - multi-DoTing, and thus our overall damage and pressure, is much weaker now than it was in Cataclysm. We've gotten stronger in terms of single-target damage and overall survivability, though.

I absolutely HATE this about pvp now. The only reason I enjoyed affliction so much was because I had become very good at micro managing my dots during cata and so in BGs I put out immense pressure and damage. Now in mop, I feel like im being forced to focus down a single target via haunt and MG if I plan on doing any substantial damage, which I hate. In Rbgs our role will likely remain the same however we will do considerably less damage than we did in cata, when we were only second to boomkins. OR we will scale very well with gear and with full conquest gear maybe multidotting will become viable again.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
so what is it about multi dotting that its not a good option anymore?

i did not even bother to look at what kind of ticks i was getting on multiple targets i guess i will have to pay more attention next 3s i do. if that is the case and single target is the key then this will change up my game play alot in 3s as affy, and maybe doing destro or demo might be the better choice if we are going to be mages.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I dropped my Lock after BC, wasn't fun anymore, maining once again now that it seems they fixed a lot of the clunk and junk.

Multi-dotting doesn't seem too bad still. I spam DoTs on everything in PvP unless I see a high priority target, in which case I focus them down. Still usually top of the charts in KBs:Deaths ratio and in damage.

Arena are probably a whole 'nother story though. I'm a battleground hero. =D
Edited by Lyea on 10/6/2012 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]