Why the lack of gear for normal progression?

90 Human Death Knight
As a tank I found it extremely disappointing that there's only a handful of decent tanking gear in the 4 normal instances leading up to level 90. Then I come to find out to even do heroics starting out all the gear is craftable and your either forced to farm mats or spend gold.

What was the reasoning behind this? It's pretty clear now why there's so many dps that queue because as soon as you hit 90 you can spend 10-12k gold in the AH and be fully geared to tank heroics without even touching normals.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
What's the point of normals if everyone is doing heroics and ignoring normal modes? Why separate the two?

Blizz decided to just focus on heroics this expansion. If you want 5 mans with a punch, do a challenge mode.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
When you hit lvl 89, head to dread wastes, do quests, and get the tank rewards. Boom, instant good enough to tank heroics. You don't have to buy a single BoE piece or farm a single mat.

And gear really doesn't matter THAT much in the MoP 'heroics', as long as you have a tank spec, know how to tank, and aren't cheesing the ilvl filter with intellect cloth.
Edited by Helagoth on 10/5/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Normals are leveling instances. Do the quests in them then ignore them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
or you can just get your dps gear and reforge them into defensive stats?

it's not that hard =o
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I just queue as dps whenever I am questing. After 30 minutes it pops and I get a break from farming Mogu. And is it just me, or did Blizzard forget to set some of the dungeons on heroic?
Reply Quote
39 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Jozie
I just queue as dps whenever I am questing. After 30 minutes it pops and I get a break from farming Mogu. And is it just me, or did Blizzard forget to set some of the dungeons on heroic?

Blizzard wants heroics to be easy. For people that want challenging 5 mans, Challenge Modes are what you are looking for.
Reply Quote
Heroics are tuned to be easily pug-able, unlike cata heroics.

As stated earlier in this thread, if you want a challenge, put a group together to do challenge modes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
"heroics" doesn't mean they are hard. Not anymore at least.

They are simply "lvl 90 versions of the dungeons". And since people were already familiar with the term "heroic" for those high-lvl versions of the instance, it made sense to just leave it that way (even tough initially on BC they were hardcore versions of the dungeons).

This is basically the explanation of the blue poster a couple of months ago.

Putting a random group together (LFG) and asking them to do really challenging content, wiping to learn boss mechanics, be geared etc, when likely several of those players are not exactly good at the game, proved to be a big headache.

Back on BC, heroics made sense to be really hard because you had to manually form a group to run them (no lfg back then), so you could pick good players and go for it. But nowadays with LFG that model doesn't work anymore.

So heroics are tuned to be completed by any average group.

If people want the real challenging brutal version of instances -> challenge modes.
Edited by Leeflow on 10/5/2012 11:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
10/05/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Leeflow
Back on BC, heroics made sense to be really hard because you had to manually form a group to run them (no lfg back then), so you could pick good players and go for it

I do kind of miss having a massive friends list I'd peruse for good players and a good group composition for heroics.

I don't miss it that much though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/05/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Rijdot
I don't miss it that much though.

This.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/05/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Leeflow
or you can just get your dps gear and reforge them into defensive stats?

and it's viable if they have some combination of hit, mastery, expertise, and haste on the secondary stats although for a Blood DK haste is least desirable.

but it should be a good enough strategy while leveling if you're going for a more control oriented method of DK tanking... removing as much RNG from misses and avoidance from mobs in regards to your mitigation and threat skills.
Reply Quote
41 Orc Warrior

I do kind of miss having a massive friends list I'd peruse for good players and a good group composition for heroics.

Ha, this! I had the pally who tanked my first heroic (Slave Pens) on my friends list for a loooong time :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]