Hows shaman healing looking atm?

Taking a break from my priest atm for a couple of reasons (dislike the spot priests are in atm, and I'm pretty much geared from heroics), so I decided to level my shaman.
I'm enjoying elemental shaman quite a bit, but their healing also looks like a lot of fun too. But to be honest, I did want to look into raiding soon enough, so I did want to pick a class that would be a solid pick as well.
Thank you for the help.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
it looks kinda moist
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I don't know about raiding. I don't do that. However, I can say that in 5-man I'm having a ton of fun as heals.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
10/05/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Shindahikari
I don't know about raiding. I don't do that. However, I can say that in 5-man I'm having a ton of fun as heals.

My guild is currently 4/6, I've healed the first 3, Shaman healing is....decent at best. Compared to monk heal? It's not even on the same level. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my shaman, but they need to buff earth shield and riptide. The scaling seems off. I get 10-25k Earth shield hits (Normal and Criticals) and 10-35k Riptide (Normal and Critical) heals. It's below par.
Edited by Getrolledkid on 10/5/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
feels good
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
10/05/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Trollinhobo
I'm enjoying elemental shaman quite a bit, but their healing also looks like a lot of fun too. But to be honest, I did want to look into raiding soon enough, so I did want to pick a class that would be a solid pick as well.

in terms of raw throughput we are currently mid-top (behind monks). We have a LOT of throughput cds... so many in fact I struggle to find times to pop them all (Especially with primal elementalist). We are the only spec that brings both a raid wall (spirit link) and a mass heal (healing tide totem). We have one of the very few unique buffs (stackable 10% health buff).

As to the playstyle... they really cleaned up some of the QoL issues... water shield is a static buff... we get instant ghost wolf baseline... and overall made it a lot easier imo to just play the game (no more telluric currents dancing). We still have a LOT to manage with when to use what CD and how to get the most out of it... but to me that is the right kind of management.

Overall, if you want a healer that can tank heal, raid heal; bring a raid wall, tranq; have the best throughput cds of any healer... shaman is a 1 stop shop imo right now.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
10/05/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Trollinthndr
it looks kinda moist

It fun and games until some drowns in the shaman water.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

My guild is currently 4/6, I've healed the first 3, Shaman healing is....decent at best. Compared to monk heal? It's not even on the same level. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my shaman, but they need to buff earth shield and riptide. The scaling seems off. I get 10-25k Earth shield hits (Normal and Criticals) and 10-35k Riptide (Normal and Critical) heals. It's below par.
You're insane. Shaman is incredibly strong. Throughput slightly lower than monk, but with by far the most cooldowns where monk has none worth mentioning. Also one of the only scaling mana regeneration cooldowns in the game in mana tide.

They don't need to buff earth shield or riptide; they moved healing away from both of the abilities for a reason. Riptide boosts the throughput of other spells substantially, and earth shield is essentially a fire and forget smart hot - a full earth shield still heals for more than a crit greater healing wave and is almost garunteed to be 100% effective healing. It's not as crazy as it was in Cata, but nor should it be.
Edited by Elementalism on 10/6/2012 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I felt pretty good. Two healed the last two with a priest on Elegon and MW on WotE. Shaman are in a pretty good spot.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Rshammy was my main for cata, but I'm not thrilled with the heals atm. I've been playing this guy on ele, and healing with my druid instead and enjoying it more. the few I've healed with shammy seemed to hilight the mana issues, which always feels strained, as opposed to druid who seems to have less issue. (tho i can oom myself on druid pretty easily without doubt)

Even my disc priest seems to have less issue with mana which seems odd as they're said to be the worst for mana regen early in this expac.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
10/06/2012 12:26 AMPosted by Nazoikar

in terms of raw throughput we are currently mid-top (behind monks). We have a LOT of throughput cds... so many in fact I struggle to find times to pop them all (Especially with primal elementalist). We are the only spec that brings both a raid wall (spirit link) and a mass heal (healing tide totem). We have one of the very few unique buffs (stackable 10% health buff).

As to the playstyle... they really cleaned up some of the QoL issues... water shield is a static buff... we get instant ghost wolf baseline... and overall made it a lot easier imo to just play the game (no more telluric currents dancing). We still have a LOT to manage with when to use what CD and how to get the most out of it... but to me that is the right kind of management.

Overall, if you want a healer that can tank heal, raid heal; bring a raid wall, tranq; have the best throughput cds of any healer... shaman is a 1 stop shop imo right now.

Says the person who has yet to raid. You didn't get my post at all, I SAID, and i'll say it again, Earth Shield and Riptide feel weak for the mana cost and they don't feel like they heal enough. EVERY other class that has a hot heals almost 20x more than riptide, like I said, the fact that a non-healing class (Boomkin) can have their HoT heal more than my riptide, is a complete joke.

10/06/2012 05:16 AMPosted by Harpoa
I felt pretty good. Two healed the last two with a priest on Elegon and MW on WotE. Shaman are in a pretty good spot.

Me too, I think we're fine in raids but I still feel that Earth Shield and Riptide need to be scaled up with the HP and HoT healing mechanic. For the amount of health that we have and the % it's healing for, it's a joke to me right now.

My Riptide's hot heals for 2-3% of my main tanks health (complete !@#$) and my Earth Shield heals for roughly 3% of my main tanks heals.....that's %^-*. Look at Rejuv heals for boomkins (heals for 2-4% of their health), or Renew for priests. ALL heal more than our Riptide does. All I'm asking is that they scale correctly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/06/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Getrolledkid
My Riptide's hot heals for 2-3% of my main tanks health (complete !@#$) and my Earth Shield heals for roughly 3% of my main tanks heals.....that's %^-*. Look at Rejuv heals for boomkins (heals for 2-4% of their health), or Renew for priests. ALL heal more than our Riptide does. All I'm asking is that they scale correctly.

Well if you look at it it is really not that bad for the mana cost.

RT 9600 mana, will heal for 40k if it DOESN'T crit. That is a little over 10% of a 400k HP tank, if one exists. If you are glyphing RT you are gimping the intial heal which is 10k then 7 ticks at 5.8k each.

And ES is just a buffer. The overheal on it is minimal and the cost is pretty cheap. On Elegon last night it do 800k healing. For a cast and forget heal that really isn't that bad.

If either were buffed they would become OP pretty quickly.

I feel we are pretty balanced right now if you look at the heal breakdowns over a fight.
Edited by Harpoa on 10/6/2012 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why don't you post on your main? troll much?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I healed the first 4 in 25 man, and my guild finished the last 2 up on 10 man on our third day of raiding. Depending on the fight and the amount of RNG we got i was ranging between #1 and #3 heals on most fights. Our skilled monk was blowing me off the charts on most fights while me and a resto druid ran a close fight for second on most fights. If we had bad RNG or i had extremely good timing of my CD's i could pull ahead of the druid. Shamans got changed from thier Cata standpoint of the superior AoE Healer to a more cooldown based class. Shaman are now about balancing your cd's and throwing out heals where you can. Usually my healing breakdown went HR --> Healing Tide --> SLT(I know this isnt "healing" but for sakes of showing the amount it was used im including it) --> Healing Stream Totem --> Restorative Mists --> Riptide. I have riptide glyphed because in 25 mans the extra hots you can throw up and regenerate the mana over downtime beat the 6 second CD any day, as well as the extra haste on CH/HW when you need it. Shaman are now (IMO) all about support and CD management rather than a throughput healer, If you want big numbers without using cooldowns you better reroll or wait till later tiers when we have the spirit and crit rating to maintain high mana expenditures on throughput. Right now shaman feel in a good place though, and when monk healers get brought down(which they should soon) we will be looking in the upper tier of healers depending on the skill level of healers you play with.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Says the person who has yet to raid.

bs not only have i raided, i've completed fights on both 10 and 25m this week.

EVERY other class that has a hot heals almost 20x more than riptide

you're just making a fool out of yourself now with these bogus statistics... i mean 20x? really?

like I said, the fact that a non-healing class (Boomkin) can have their HoT heal more than my riptide, is a complete joke

mind you druids LIVE and DIE by rejuv, it is their bread and butter spell. RT is (for me at least) the sideshow to either setup chain heals or gain TW for big single target heals. Personally I'm glad that RT is "weaker" and ES "very weak" because it means I'm less likely to get a PvP nerf like we did during t11.

10/06/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Harpoa
And ES is just a buffer. The overheal on it is minimal and the cost is pretty cheap. On Elegon last night it do 800k healing. For a cast and forget heal that really isn't that bad.

exactly, and it also still provides a substantial healing buff to the player it is on. The two combined make it effective enough for how infrequently it needs refreshing. Its not something our class is designed around for throughput and also isn't something we have to manage all the time (unlike renew/lifebloom as examples) so I'm perfectly ok with how marginal it is. And I'll say it again... PVP. Last thing I want is to see my actual throughput nerfed because we do well in arenas...

10/07/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Pwningshaman
Shamans got changed from thier Cata standpoint of the superior AoE Healer to a more cooldown based class.

couldnt agree more... and from a 25m standpoint our CDs are really superior to any other individual in the raid. I've got something for every situation it feels like... and remember... THIS IS WHAT WE ASKED FOR WHEN THEY WANTED CLASS FEEDBACK, for once bliz actually listened.

10/07/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Pwningshaman
Right now shaman feel in a good place though, and when monk healers get brought down(which they should soon) we will be looking in the upper tier of healers depending on the skill level of healers you play with.

exactly my sentiments.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]