Zen Meditation - Any Use For It?

Ok I am sure I am missing something.. But has anyone found any use for this spell?

Zen Meditation
Channeled 3 min cooldown
Reduces all damage taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 harmful spells cast against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 sec.

Being the victim of a melee attack will break your meditation, cancelling the effect.

I am sure there is some use somewhere.. Maybe one of the boss fights or something in the raid.. But I have not found any fights that it is worthwhile yet.. Thoughts??
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Since when has being able to reduce damage taken by 90% for 8 seconds not had any use in raids?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think it is a neat spell, but its removal on melee hits def limits it a lot for tanks, which I have been playing almost fully.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
Because no raid encounter ever had a heavy AoE damage phase where the tank wasn't being melee'd, and also Roll/Chi Torpedo, Transcendence and Life Grip don't exist.

It seems lackluster but this ability will break an encounter somewhere down the line and get redesigned. Calling it now.
Edited by Rijdot on 10/6/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I used Zen Meditation on my guilds Feng kill last night, as a tank, during epiccenter, as well as his fire phase, and arcane storm.
It is a fantastic aoe damage reduction ability.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Its very useful but situational. That's why its so powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think useful but situational sums it up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I was using it in 5-man heroics, all of us were new to the instance and just barely made the ilevel requirement, so our healer was having trouble on the lase boss on the Moshu palace, so at one point I stopped dps and popped it to give our healer a moment to be able to heal with us taking less damaged and saved the day.

Like said before it's situational, but when used right can save the raid from a wipe.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
I used Zen Meditation on my guilds Feng kill last night, as a tank, during epiccenter, as well as his fire phase, and arcane storm.
It is a fantastic aoe damage reduction ability.

Works great during elegon's celestial breath (along with diffuse magic talent).

You can use it for an oh'snap i'm gonna get smashed cd, because it does negate the damage of the melee swing/hit that you will take next.
Reply Quote
I was more referring to being a healer and using it.. I guess I didnt think about using it during a massive AoE or something.. I thought it was limited to use of Targeted things..

So this would work as a heal CD to use during a massive explosion or something?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
Lot's of fights have had magic phases, or giant incoming aoes. It could help greatly when off tanking or dps but I don't think a healer wants to be locked up during cast.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Problem is not what it does, but that its rather inconsistent in what it does and doesn't work on. On top of that, you are still supposed to attack the boss during an intense healing phase - There weren't that many where the boss becomes un-attackable and requires intense healing.
Edited by Leciel on 10/6/2012 6:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 Tauren Shaman
People are talking about using it against giant aoes... do they mean as a personal CD or as a raid CD? Because it only works against targeted damage - not AOE, at least as a raid CD.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/06/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Leciel
Problem is not what it does, but that its rather inconsistent in what it does and doesn't work on. On top of that, you are still supposed to attack the boss during an intense healing phase - There weren't that many where the boss becomes un-attackable and requires intense healing.

The flips on heroic Spine, the elementium bolt crash on heroic Madness, the lightning phase for people not running the chain on heroic Hagara, Smoldering Devestations on Beth'tilac.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Lellington
People are talking about using it against giant aoes... do they mean as a personal CD or as a raid CD? Because it only works against targeted damage - not AOE, at least as a raid CD.

That was what I was wondering really.. Does it work on AOE's or JUST targeted..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
There are tons of uses for it. Remember that not all bosses will be meleeing you 24/7.

Some have very large magic attacks.

Also i use it in BGs while hiding behind a rock and stuff.

I can only imagine plenty of uses in a raid where you have off tanks not doing much anyways.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Leciel

Surviving an AoE is worth a dps loss if you're a healer or tank.
Reply Quote
Be careful when using it in BG's. Nothing like getting counterspelled by a mage while using it lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
they need to fix it asap... make it 10 spell to be useful raid cool down... or even 20 spells it would be a nice mechanic have the monk cast it and all healers focus heal on monk (because 90% it would come to the monk 200% of the dmg) its a lot for aoe phases to all healers would have to heal the monk or he would die
Edited by Mithoniel on 10/9/2012 6:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The skill has problems, of course, that melee thing...ew

But you can use it in some situations, even if yes, I used one day against a boss in scholomance and the hit that would kill me saved me enough to the healer pick my health full agan, so yeah, not perfect, has problems...but it is still 90% less damage, even if for one hard hit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]