Death Knight PvP (for a novice)

92 Draenei Death Knight
I'm mostly a PvE healer, but I wanted to try something new and so created a Death Knight. The main objectives for this character are tanking and PvP (possibly RPing as well). While I'm willing to figure out tanking on my own (the Dungeon Finder groups have been very accommodative) I'm not so sure about PvP.

My specs are Blood and Frost. I suppose Blood is the spec of choice for battling melee classes (warriors, rogues, and paladins) and Frost is used for everything else.

So, I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out on PvP. Thank you in advance :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/06/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Valithyria
My specs are Blood and Frost. I suppose Blood is the spec of choice for battling melee classes (warriors, rogues, and paladins) and Frost is used for everything else.

Not quite:

Blood is the tanking spec, so in PvP it's great at guarding nodes and flag-carrying.

Frost is the DPS spec so it's best at "storming the castle" type assaults, defending your flag carrier & healers, taking down the enemy FC, and picking off single players running around solo without a pocket healer.
Edited by Avanna on 10/6/2012 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Death Knight
Blood is the tanking spec, so in PvP it's great at guarding nodes and flag-carrying.

Frost is the DPS spec so it's best at "storming the castle" type assaults, defending your flag carrier & healers, taking down the enemy FC, and picking off single players running around solo without a pocket healer.

Well, I haven't thought too much about battlegrounds yet, I'm mostly into low-level World PvP (until I reach 90). So I'd like advice on how to deal with specific classes or specific roles.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/07/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Valithyria
Well, I haven't thought too much about battlegrounds yet, I'm mostly into low-level World PvP

You're not going to find much of that. World PvP is mostly high level players swooping down and attacking a lowbie for a couple of kills until they get bored and fly off. The only place where you'll find world PvP that isn't like that is in the current expansion's content (Pandaria), which won't be available to you until you reach 85 anyway.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
Actually Avanna with the advent of cross realm zones there has been quite a bit of world PvP (at least on PvP servers) lots of people are leveling monk and panda alts so you'd be surprised :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
10/07/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Jilixx
Actually Avanna with the advent of cross realm zones there has been quite a bit of world PvP (at least on PvP servers) lots of people are leveling monk and panda alts so you'd be surprised :D

Huh, you'd think with that all the "Blizz killed world PvP" whining would stop on the main forums.

I've only seen complaining about lowbies having to worry about gankers from many servers now instead of just their home server.
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
I wouldn't wander alone in Haala or near the Gurubashi arena but on the whole the ganking for me has been minimal and there have been lots of fun skirmishes along the way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
If i were you i would go frost for PVP because if you are pvping and you can get killing machine to proc you can get about a 75-85k crit with an obliterate and if they run away just use howling blast or chains of ice to slow them and death grip them back, at least that's what works for me. (and i would start doing bgs because it really helps you learn your class better)
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Death Knight
You're not going to find much of that. World PvP is mostly high level players swooping down and attacking a lowbie for a couple of kills until they get bored and fly off. The only place where you'll find world PvP that isn't like that is in the current expansion's content (Pandaria), which won't be available to you until you reach 85 anyway.

As some people above me have said, there is quite a bit of World PvP in Hellfire Peninsula, especially around the towers and the Dark Portal.

10/07/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Jattomix
If i were you i would go frost for PVP because if you are pvping and you can get killing machine to proc you can get about a 75-85k crit with an obliterate

Sorry, I'm new to the class. What is the proc rate for Killing Machine? After you mentioned it I Googled it (I didn't know about it before) and all I can find is outdated information from the beta.
Edited by Valithyria on 10/9/2012 2:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
42 Tauren Monk
I was in the same boat when I made my DK. I would definitely suggest Frost. It does considerable damage and with Blood of the North, it's easier for a newbie to the class to get the hang of runes vs runic power. I tend to stick in Blood Presence for the health boost. I'm still a newbie to DKs in general, but this is from my experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]