Solo Monk Leveling: Mistweaver vs Brewmaster

100 Gnome Monk
So I am solo questing in Un'goro at the moment, and just hit 54 (avatar not yet updated apparently). I leveled as Mistweaver from the start, and wanted to check out Brewmaster since I'd heard great things about it.

Now I have a little bit better gear on my Mistweaver, but I do have several pieces of heirloom gear for Brewmaster, so gear should not be much of a factor.

What I have found so far is that I survive better and have a slightly higher DPS on my Mistweaver. Heals are so strong that they can help keep my alive through anything. I can take 4 same level mobs easily, probably more than that. On my Brewmaster, well, even with Stagger and using Blackout Kick to help with Stagger and parrying, plus using Guard when it is up, I have a harder time honestly. And DPS is no better. The main issue seems to be energy starvation.

I'm sure I could improve my Brewmaster performance since I am new to a number of the skills, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort when I can't see it being that much better than Mistweaver.

Anyways, I'm currently going back to Mistweaver, but I was curious what others who have tried leveling with both specs think about each.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Brewmaster is all about the AoE. Keg Smash -> Guard -> Breath of Fire -> Spinning Crane Kick until Keg Smash is up, and then lather rinse repeat.

Brewmasters are CRAZY good at taking a crapload of mobs at once and never having their health budge below 3/4. You wont kill things lickety-split, but groups of 5+ mobs will generally all end up dying at roughly the same time.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
As mistweaver monk you will have more mana issue later on if you constantly use your abilities without breaking

But brewmaster monk use energy and brewmaster monk can also use self healing abilities (not only expel harm but also regular healing sphere and healing sphere from gift of the ox) for constant battle without breaking
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
I soloed better as WW than BW, more survivability against most mobs, packs, aoe stuns, and just enough healing to do pwn,

I would easily believe MW is as good as BM.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
Brewmaster is all about the AoE. Keg Smash -> Guard -> Breath of Fire -> Spinning Crane Kick until Keg Smash is up, and then lather rinse repeat.

Brewmasters are CRAZY good at taking a crapload of mobs at once and never having their health budge below 3/4. You wont kill things lickety-split, but groups of 5+ mobs will generally all end up dying at roughly the same time.

I know I end up with better mitigation (more STA, damage reduction) in Sturdy Ox stance, but Guard has a 30s CD, and against a lot of mobs I'm still taking a TON of damage with only Expel Harm and (in my case) Chi Wave to help heal up. I guess I should be using those heals whenever they are available. It just seems there are so many things to spend chi on and it's hard to generate it that quickly; I'm always looking for energy to Jab with to get chi.

I'll give it another try. Need to look more closely at my chi generators and chi expenders and try to work a balance.

It just seems with a lot of mobs you are still taking a lot of damage. On my Mistweaver, I have lots of heals I can use to get thru that damage, lots of them powered by mana which will last me a good while in a fight. As a Brewmaster, I only have two heals and they can be hard to spam. Remember, no Purifying Brew at my level.

I also need to redo talents. I was looking to try out different ones than I has as a Mistweaver, but I picked Ascension for my third level talent and I think that was a bad choice lol.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mistweaver all the way, burned through in 3 days 9 hours without RAF using a combination of Spinning Crane Kick and sleeping. As a mistweaver spinning crane kick does everything you need. It may not have quite as much damage as other spec abilities but the fact that it heals you for more than a 3rd of your health every tick more than makes up for it.
find an area of high density mobs, use crackling jade lightning to aggro them, not damage them (interrupt it the moment it connects) then tab target around you pulling things close, then spam SCK til everything is dead. Providing the mobs don't have a stun, you can get away with AoE pulling about 7-8 mobs up until mid Cataclysm content, then you will probably have to come down to 5 mobs or so, this will work up to lvl90 except that by then I found myself drinking after each pull
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk

This will only get you killed questing in MoP, but it should work brilliantly before MoP when any class can tank a crapload of mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1. Go Mistweaver
2. Pull an entire area
3. Spinning Crane Kick
4. ??????
5. Profit
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was soloing Hellfire Ramparts at 63 and it's a 58-62 dungeon. Brewmaster is very good at surviving. Gift of the Ox, I think it might be bugged. From what I recall seeing, people would say always leave 2 spheres for emergency healing and use 1 whenever, but I see about 20 healing spheres (little mini ones) all over the place and I'm always running around so if I lack heals, I can just pick up the spheres. Although Brewmaster is amazing with that, Mistweaver is still pretty darn good. I would pull a bunch and spam Spinning Crane Kick and never even go below 90% health and everything around would die (although a bit slower than Brewmaster).
Reply Quote
I've tried both. I'd say it comes down to personal preference...I like both. But for my own sanity and stress-relief, I'm thinking I'll go Mistweaver/Windwalker at 90 just so I have a spec where I can murder people I don't like.

But as for leveling? I absolutely love the cheesy ability to just grab a bunch of people, AoE them down and heal myself while doing it. Throw in some bouncing Chi balls and some Tiger Palms and I just watch the unworthy mofo's fall....then I loot them, and walk away at full health like a champ.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As leveling I was pulling upwards to 10 mobs at a time. Made questing go pretty fast.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

This will only get you killed questing in MoP, but it should work brilliantly before MoP when any class can tank a crapload of mobs.

Didn't get me killed in MoP. Yeah, stuff hit harder, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Worse comes to worse, roll away, Dizzy Haze, and heal up.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You're level 54? Get 2 more levels and Brewmaster becomes unstoppable. Gift of the ox procs constantly, giving you a pretty limitless supply of health regen if you use it intelligently.

I will say I have not tried mistweaver yet, but based on what I've seen, it'll definitely be my os when I hit 85-90. I don't have the looms for it now, but I've been enjoying BM way too much to deviate from it right now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I've been a brewmaster since about lvl 50. The great thing is the mass aoe potential. Zones like icecrown in wotlk and shadowmoon valley in the burning crusade let you easily pull 20+ mobs at once with zero down time in btetween pulls which makes leveling a breeze. In generally I don't bother fighting stuff unless there's 4+ mobs because the downside to brewmaster is the single target damage is much lower then that of a mistwalker.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
1. Go Mistweaver
2. Pull an entire area
3. Spinning Crane Kick
4. ??????
5. Profit

Did this pretty much till around 88 or so. Worked out fine. Having a DPS spec obviously makes Dailies and other killing NPC quest go by a bit faster. But I had a lot of fun leveling as a Mistweaver.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Haven't played a second of Mistweaver but I love the crap out of Brewmaster.

It almost seems broken how easy it is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
So I am solo questing in Un'goro at the moment, and just hit 54 (avatar not yet updated apparently). I leveled as Mistweaver from the start, and wanted to check out Brewmaster since I'd heard great things about it.

Now I have a little bit better gear on my Mistweaver, but I do have several pieces of heirloom gear for Brewmaster, so gear should not be much of a factor.

What I have found so far is that I survive better and have a slightly higher DPS on my Mistweaver. Heals are so strong that they can help keep my alive through anything. I can take 4 same level mobs easily, probably more than that. On my Brewmaster, well, even with Stagger and using Blackout Kick to help with Stagger and parrying, plus using Guard when it is up, I have a harder time honestly. And DPS is no better. The main issue seems to be energy starvation.

I'm sure I could improve my Brewmaster performance since I am new to a number of the skills, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort when I can't see it being that much better than Mistweaver.

Anyways, I'm currently going back to Mistweaver, but I was curious what others who have tried leveling with both specs think about each.

Thanks for any feedback!

2 things I found that made my survivability jump astronomically.

1: avoid jab like the plague. It should be used as a last resort to avoid energy capping. Keg smash is jab but so much better and should generate the bulk of your chi. Spam tiger palm as long as you can't do anything else, make sure to hit it 3 times before guarding.

2: Guard quickly and often. Maxed guard is OP as hell. For healing, pick up your little healing balls, and use chi wave. Those things combined make for a very durable ball of death.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

Didn't get me killed in MoP. Yeah, stuff hit harder, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Worse comes to worse, roll away, Dizzy Haze, and heal up.

I facetanked mobs as a mage to level through MoP.

Stuff hits about as hard as it ever did. Which is to say, not that hard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I am lvling my brewmaster right now, and let me tell you that they have to be the most survivable class i have ever seen. He is 69 right now and basicly i can go into a group of mobs and keg smash+BoF them down in a very short time. You can also use gaurd to avoid alot of damage. Also when you unlock healing spheres you can just drop 2 down and be at full health and energy regen is fast so you are straight back to dpsing the mobs down. Plus if you specced for chi wave you are damn near invincible. This is al at lvl 69 though. Also i would like to add the i just got done with an arathi basin BG and i hade like 5 horde on me and i just kept using healing spheres and they couldn't kill me. I kept this up for like 2 mins b4 some ppl came (i was at farm). So as a brewmaster, i ended up being #1 in healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Dat necro...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]