Shadow Priest Rotation Help

90 Night Elf Priest
Hi... I'm trying to get my damage up and I'm having a difficult time. I'm wondering if someone who knows there stuff can look at my rotation and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've been following this site http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/priest/shadow/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns for just about everything PVE. I'm doing exactly what they suggest on this page, but I'm always in 4th place on my recount add-on in damage when doing Heroics.

I've spec'd the way noxxic.com has suggested and it actually makes more sense than what I had before. The rotation they suggest works with it.

I've reforged to get my hit to approx 15% like suggested.

I've enchanted and socketed all my gear except my bracers because I'm waiting for a friend to make the enchant for me. I took the suggestions from wow-heroes.com for the enchants.

I just don't understand why I'm not even close to the damage other people in my groups are doing and I feel like I'm not helping the group very much.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
How much are you pulling? at a quick glance your haste is very low.
Reply Quote
First: You dont need 15% hit cap for dungeons. It is way lower for heroics only.
2nd; Keep Your Intellect and haste as high as possible (My self i have 14k int and 6k haste)
3rd. Keep ur dots up at all the time on as many targets as possible. Use your procs asap, Use you Halo wisely, try to stand at the right distance (25 yards) When ur casting it.
Armory : Trytofail - Shadowmoon. Check out my reforges / Gems. Prolly will help. Can maintain 60-75k dps on boss fights in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Without logs we can only tell you small things that you've probably already read.

Just a small thing, replace the matery gem in your dragon trinket with crit. Mastery is a very unfavorable stat for us.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Thanks all... good suggestions :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Haste carries incredible weight until around 8k.
You don't want to gem pure int, you want cross gems if you need the socket bonus (+80 int +160 haste) since haste isn't half the value of int when you are below 8k haste/etc.
Try to get a helm that has a meta socket so you can put a +3% crit gem in it (+54 int, +54 spirit, +54 crit, all work, the important part is the +3% crit on a nice budget)

Halo is generally useless in dungeons, it pulls way to much.
Twist of fate is extremely questionable/sometimes not worth it if you're not raiding. (Stuff dies really fast in execute phase, trash can be brutal, this isn't heroic Spine either)

Oh, and if expertise works for spriests like it does mages/warlocks you want a expertise
cogwheel.

Oh, and noxxic is generally junk, icy-veins is pretty good on overviews, and elitistjerks.com is generally fantastic however it's not updated recently.

Also, what addons are you using? What keybinding setup/dot tracker?
I hate to sound elitist, jerk, know it all, etc, but, In My Opinion, you will never be able to play a shadow priest to 80-90% of it's ability without addons to track that effectively.
Edited by Ragathaer on 10/8/2012 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Haste carries incredible weight until around 8k.
You don't want to gem pure int, you want cross gems if you need the socket bonus (+80 int +160 haste) since haste isn't half the value of int when you are below 8k haste/etc.
Try to get a helm that has a meta socket so you can put a +3% crit gem in it (+54 int, +54 spirit, +54 crit, all work, the important part is the +3% crit on a nice budget)

Your stat weights.
Haste pre-8085: Int > Hit/Spirit to 5100 > Haste to 8085 > Crit > Mastery
Haste post-8085: Int > Hit/Spirit to 5100 > Crit > Mastery > Haste over 8085

Halo is generally useless in dungeons, it pulls way to much.
Twist of fate is extremely questionable/sometimes not worth it if you're not raiding. (Stuff dies really fast in execute phase, trash can be brutal, this isn't heroic Spine either)

Halo's easily simming as our best DPS increase for our level 90 talents. Download and use HaloPro to "accurately" determine your range from targets to maximize its output.

Twist of Fate and Divine Insight are arguably the two best options for talents in that tier. They are both fight specific. Make your decision accordingly.

Oh, and if expertise works for spriests like it does mages/warlocks you want a expertise
cogwheel.

Expertise does work the same way, but you'll get much more output from Spirit than Expertise or Hit. Mana is good, remember?

Oh, and noxxic is generally junk, icy-veins is pretty good on overviews, and elitistjerks.com is generally fantastic however it's not updated recently.

Both Noxxic and Icy-veins are okay. Elitistjerks does not seem to be up-to-date a lot of the time. Howtopriest.com is the go to website for anything and everything Priest. It's a very friendly community too. I'd suggest using that over the WoW forums.

Also, what addons are you using? What keybinding setup/dot tracker?
I hate to sound elitist, jerk, know it all, etc, but, In My Opinion, you will never be able to play a shadow priest to 80-90% of it's ability without addons to track that effectively.

This is true. You should be running something to track your DoTs. I'd suggest using Tidyplates to see your DoTs on multiple targets and then a DoT length tracker. I'd have to run through Curse to see what I'm running for that.

DeadlyBossMods/BigWigs is essential to helping your timing for maximizing your trinkets and long cds effects. It also will help you avoid avoidable mechanics.

Lastly, it's difficult for anyone to help you improve your DPS directly without seeing what you're actually doing. Howtopriest has a basic priority system listed that has been theorycrafted and simmed for in order to maximize the potential output of Spriest players. I'd use that as a starting ground.

Edit: Currently Windsong is not proc'ing off of DoT effects (VT, SW: P, and MF). It's better to use Power Torrent until Blizzard fixes Windsong. Unless, of course, you know an enchanter with the 600 lvl enchant (the name escapes me at the moment).
Edited by Dazbekzul on 10/8/2012 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Halo's easily simming as our best DPS increase for our level 90 talents. Download and use HaloPro to "accurately" determine your range from targets to maximize its output.

Twist of Fate and Divine Insight are arguably the two best options for talents in that tier. They are both fight specific. Make your decision accordingly.

Agreed on Halo as being the best dps, agreed on Twist of Fate being one of the best however it's just extremely specific to the fight. Sub 20% on mobs in dungeons doesn't last long, Halo is a problem because you can't use it if it's going to pull something else .
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]