MoP Rogue DPS? (pve)

99 Night Elf Rogue
So, my friend says rogues suck at 90 and don't do much damage (pve), but he did see one 90 rogue doing a lot of damage.

What do you guys think, or is there a generally accepted opinion on this? I'm trying to decide if I should give up on this class or if there's a way to have good dps on this character at all. Any advice would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
At the low end, Rogue damage is average at best, which by gamer definition is terrible. In favorable situations though, it can be quite good. It's pretty universally accepted though that we sure don't FEEL like a powerful class due to how our damage spread works, so there might be some cognitive bias on our part.

The class feels rather disjointed at the moment. Like it doesn't feel like all the bolts are screwed on tight enough, and there's a switched piece here and there. You can tell what it's supposed to be, but something's wrong.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Kanoi
At the low end, Rogue damage is average at best, which by gamer definition is terrible. In favorable situations though, it can be quite good. It's pretty universally accepted though that we sure don't FEEL like a powerful class due to how our damage spread works, so there might be some cognitive bias on our part.

What surprises me is that Blizzard seems to feel that auto-attacks are needed by some classes to even out damage, but not by others. What is it in the way that casters work that all of their damage can be placed into spells and not wands? Cast times? Maybe. But does that justify the current % damage due to (especially buffed) auto-attacks?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Output wise for rogue is fine in PVE, a combat rogue can easily top DPS in heroic dungeon boss fights.
Problem now lies with our steathy and cds, especially in PVP
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
So far I've seen rogue damage to be decent, bot in PvE and PvP. Needless to say its a lot different than before. They're no longer globaling people in 5 second kidneys, and they have to experiment with what spec they want to choose now because sub doesn't give you spammable ambushes for 40k+ anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
10/07/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Kanoi
The class feels rather disjointed at the moment. Like it doesn't feel like all the bolts are screwed on tight enough, and there's a switched piece here and there. You can tell what it's supposed to be, but something's wrong.

This. All my this.

Personally, I am nearly always or always top dps. Good warriors and mages give me a run for my money in dungeons, and in MsV I was doing 71-76k on Guardians as Combat, and 60k on Feng as Assassination. This is LFR mind you. Still waiting for my guildies to get raid ready. /tap

In a nutshell, play what you like. If you're good, you'll do good. It's as simple as that.
Edited by Toxxus on 10/10/2012 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
As a assassination rogue I used to bring good DPS to heroics/raids in cata (usually top in dungeons and top 5 in raids). I haven't gotten to raiding in MoP yet, but in these heroic dungeons, I have an ilvl of 453 and I am always last in DPS. I am following the rotation right, but even with better gear than my friends, I am last or second to last in DPS.

It's very possible I am doing something wrong, but I agree with what people say here. I spend most of my time auto-attacking while energy starved, and when blowing my cooldowns, I only barely catch up to the rest of the party.

And I REALLY miss overkill...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
As a assassination rogue I used to bring good DPS to heroics/raids in cata (usually top in dungeons and top 5 in raids). I haven't gotten to raiding in MoP yet, but in these heroic dungeons, I have an ilvl of 453 and I am always last in DPS. I am following the rotation right, but even with better gear than my friends, I am last or second to last in DPS.

It's very possible I am doing something wrong, but I agree with what people say here. I spend most of my time auto-attacking while energy starved, and when blowing my cooldowns, I only barely catch up to the rest of the party.

And I REALLY miss overkill...

I doubt you're doing much wrong. It'll just be about a year until gear lets us overcome !@#$ scaling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
They are in the same spot they have always been, even in T13. In short fights, assassination and combat were just sub-par even with the 397 welfare daggers compared to other non-raiders using 378 weapons. Assassination had a lot of ramp-up and combat is more cooldown dependent than cata ret.

They shine when they have a lot of time to beat on a mob though.
Edited by Leciel on 10/13/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
They are in the same spot they have always been, even in T13. In short fights, assassination and combat were just sub-par even with the 397 welfare daggers compared to other non-raiders using 378 weapons. Assassination had a lot of ramp-up and combat is more cooldown dependent than cata ret.

In tier 13 Rogues were, bar none, the best DPS class in the game. Not sure where you get the 397 dagger vs 378 stuff from, unless I don't understand what you're saying. Rogues were quite strong and ahead of other raiders early on with those weapons. They still have problems with target switching if that's what you mean though.

So far, Combat is the best spec on Stone Guard, by a large margin. Assassination is a top 4-5 spec outside of Elegon, which probably shouldn't be surprising given the problems with target switching with Rogues. So all in all Rogues are in a very good spot early on.
Edited by Bloodletters on 10/13/2012 11:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

In tier 13 Rogues were, bar none, the best DPS class in the game. Not sure where you get the 397 dagger vs 378 stuff from, unless I don't understand what you're saying. Rogues were quite strong and ahead of other raiders early on with those weapons. They still have problems with target switching if that's what you mean though.

So far, Combat is the best spec on Stone Guard, by a large margin. Assassination is a top 4-5 spec outside of Elegon, which probably shouldn't be surprising given the problems with target switching with Rogues. So all in all Rogues are in a very good spot early on.

Pay someone for Hagara lockout, walk in, voilah! Better weapons than anybody who doesn't raid. Even with those, most melees would crush rogues on short fights because nobody wants to use cooldowns for a short fight.

A lot of rogues are complaining about heroics, LFR and leveling, where mobs die before they can get a 5 point damaging finisher off.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Rogues were stronger than most melee and most other classes with those weapons, at least until people caught up. Then when they got into more heroic gear they stayed comfortably ahead of everyone else.

Heroic, leveling those are things that are difficult on a rogue because of the ramp up. But DPS is not balanced around heroics and leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

I think you're still stuck and lost in Naxx40.
Edited by Kanoi on 10/13/2012 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

I think this post gave me brain cancer, there are so many things wrong in it.

So, you are saying that without using AR/KS, you were doing competitive damage with other melees during T13?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Quit referring to tier 13 while referring to leveling and heroic dungeons. Tier 13 is the Dragon Soul raid. In the Dragon Soul raid, Rogues were THE best DPS class in the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]