Zen Flight

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is it intended to be the same Speed as BC non-epic flight or is it just bugged out for me?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It is intended. The great thing about it is it is instant, you can mount a normal mount while on it, hearthstone, fish, pick herbs, pick up cogwheel quest items, etc.

I find it one of the handiest of glyphs.
Reply Quote
The glyph is amazing for dailies where you have to gather stuff on the ground, but don't want to keep mounting up/dismounting.

Like the catching the fish one for golden lotus.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It is intended. The great thing about it is it is instant, you can mount a normal mount while on it, hearthstone, fish, pick herbs, pick up cogwheel quest items, etc.

I find it one of the handiest of glyphs.

You can hearth and fish?! Thats pretty awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/08/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Earthreaver
You can hearth and fish?! Thats pretty awesome.

half of the animations occur too. its pretty neat to watch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Still don't see why it can't be full flight speed. I'd give up the fishing/hearthing to make it the same speed as my other mounts/druid flight form.
Reply Quote
If you gave up herbing then it would be just like a regular mount just instant cast since you wouldn't be able to interact while still mounted.
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Hunter
I'd like it to at least scale with my speed. Maybe not FULL speed, but it shouldn't be one speed. Say I have basic flight training, it moves slower than that. If I get the next up, it should at least move up to basic flight speed, and after that one, move up to 270% when I fork over 4000g for 310%. I just feel kind of robbed getting a "mount" that doesn't follow any of the mount rules. It is like getting a rock for Halloween. You still got something, so you could be happy for getting it, but it still doesn't change the fact that your friends got candy and you got a rock.
EDIT: Just noticed I have my lowbie hunter as my avatar. >.>;
Edited by Furryatwill on 10/8/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Its not a mount. Its a glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, one may say that it is, in fact, a duck.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/08/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Moofu
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, one may say that it is, in fact, a duck.

that's a pretty good heuristic for classifying ducks. Not WoW abilities. If Blizzard wanted to give monks a flying class mount, they would have. Instead they gave them a neat little glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/08/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Furryatwill
It is like getting a rock for Halloween.

An AWESOME rock.

10/08/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Huanggai
I'd give up the fishing/hearthing to make it the same speed as my other mounts/druid flight form.

And like many other mounts you have had, in a few weeks it would go back on the pile of unused mounts. This glyph, as it is right now, will always have a place in my glyph slots.
Edited by Chuin on 10/8/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk

that's a pretty good heuristic for classifying ducks. Not WoW abilities. If Blizzard wanted to give monks a flying class mount, they would have. Instead they gave them a neat little glyph.

Well, they obviously wanted to give us a mount, and not a glyph, as the increase in mount speed from the guild perk applies to this. So, failing to see any evidence that indicates anything contrary, we must assume that this was intended, and that Blizzard does, in fact, view them as mounts.
Edited by Moofu on 10/8/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Well, they obviously wanted to give us a mount, and not a glyph, as the increase in mount speed from the guild perk applies to this. So, failing to see any evidence that indicates anything contrary, we must assume that this was intended, and that Blizzard does, in fact, view them as mounts.

You're still glossing over the fact that if blizzard wanted to make a flying class mount for monk, they would have made a mount. Your secondary and tertiary evidence does not trump the primary evidence of that simple fact.

This is meant to be a neat little plus for monks, not a new mount.

Like someone earlier said, who cares to have another mount in their list? This is much cooler.

the increase in mount speed from the guild perk applies to this

this is more likely due to reused code than a desire on blizzard part for this to be a new mount.
Edited by Jayded on 10/8/2012 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Alright, I have to chime in on this as I'm getting sick of seeing these threads. I'm not sick of seeing the thread because reasonable players have reasonable expectations from their game, but because I'm sick of the neverending waves of fan boys/girls that feel the need to defend this game in its current iteration as if it was the work of God and is perfection as we know it.

Things change. Blizzard can be "wrong" by their own intentions. Clearly this is meant to be a mount, an instant cast flying mount. This is not the only concept or mechanism in the game to function in a similar way. Let's take a look at this counter part, Flight Form for Druids.

Both can cast Hearth

Both can loot quest objects/loot bodies

One scales with your flight training, the other does not

One can fish/perform basic actions, the other cannot

The only reason Flight Form cannot perform basic actions like fish or mount up, is because you are Shapeshifted. Go drink a noggenfogger and tell me how well you can mount up as a skeleton. Shapeshifting has major code implications on what you can and cannot do. It just so happens that OUR Flight Form does not shape shift us, allowing us to do certain actions that birds cannot.

Now, all that sunk in and understood, why is it so impossible to fathom another class moving in and getting a Swift Flight Form? One that scales with their mount training?

And here's another scary concept that you might not be able to grasp: why can't we just make this spell baseline? *GASP* I know, it's a crazy thought. But holy crap it just might make sense in a world....

Anyways I'm sure said fan boys/girls will harass me for this, as I am questioning their faith in God, but there's really no valid excuse why ANY Monk should not want what was posted above. Are you all a bunch of masochists or what?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/08/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Kenjiryu
Clearly this is meant to be a mount

It's anything but clear. What is more likely?

Blizzard's team of X developers are all stupid and don't realize they want to make a class flying mount/spell?

Blizzard's team of X developers wanted to make a neat little flavor glyph for monks that would be similar to a flight form for druids, albeit at a reduced speed.

If there were no difference between this and a mount, then yes CLEARLY it would be a mount, but there are significant differences. It's slower for a reason, if it were the same speed, it wouldn't be a glyph anymore, it would be a class mount (and it would be less useful than it is in its current form).

I can understand someone not agreeing with blizzard's design decisions, but convincing yourself that not one of them realizes what they actually want to do is just foolish.
Edited by Jayded on 10/8/2012 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Things change. Blizzard can be "wrong" by their own intentions.

Actually I think in this case they achieved exactly what they intended.

Clearly this is meant to be a mount, an instant cast flying mount

It is not. You're sitting on a cloud. How ridiculous would it be in world pvp to chase someone while sitting cross-legged on a cloud with your eyes closed?

The only reason Flight Form cannot perform basic actions like fish or mount up, is because you are Shapeshifted. Go drink a noggenfogger and tell me how well you can mount up as a skeleton. Shapeshifting has major code implications on what you can and cannot do. It just so happens that OUR Flight Form does not shape shift us, allowing us to do certain actions that birds cannot.

It actually wouldn't be difficult for Blizzard to let Druids in flight form do other actions. It would just be silly(How can a Bird mine?).

Now, all that sunk in and understood, why is it so impossible to fathom another class moving in and getting a Swift Flight Form? One that scales with their mount training?

It's not, and I think there should be another class in the game with an equivalent to flight form.

But with this glyph, I don't think that class will be Monks.

And here's another scary concept that you might not be able to grasp: why can't we just make this spell baseline? *GASP* I know, it's a crazy thought. But holy crap it just might make sense in a world....

In this case, while it certainly could and should be baseline, Blizzard must have their own reasons for not having that be the case. They're going to see pretty much everyone takes this Glyph for its convenience, so it's not really a "minor" glyph at that point.

But by Blizzard's definition, a minor glyph is supposed to add something minor and unique to the game. This does that. It just happens to also be really convenient.

Anyways I'm sure said fan boys/girls will harass me for this, as I am questioning their faith in God, but there's really no valid excuse why ANY Monk should not want what was posted above. Are you all a bunch of masochists or what?

This is where you're entire character falls apart.

-You can't enter an argument and complain that you might get "harassed". That's not harassment, it's being countered in an argument you entered willingly.

-Having a different opinion than you doesn't also imply a person wholly supports Blizzard in everything. 1+1 does not = 3.

-Nor is it fair to bring faith in anything over a minor gameplay issue.

-For that matter, it isn't fair to claim people who disagree with you Masochists either.

Monks can fly at full speed like any other class. They just can't do it instantly like Druids can. And Druids can't do all the things we can while on our cloud, either. It's a fair trade off.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I enjoy the slow speed. You can no longer down grade to a slower mount thanks to the scaling system now (unless there is a way to scale it back temporarily, but I have not found it).

I am very happy with the way it is right now.

And your overuse of the word 'fanboy' is just a blanket defense you use for some odd-reason, as the rest of your argument is rather sound. You do not need to fall back on such a tired shield that you can use to repel all arguments, solid or otherwise.

Peace and Happiness.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ultimately at the end of the day this is what this whole argument boils down to:

Group A - wishes for Zen Flight to scale with flight speed

Group B - opposes Group A and want's it to stay slow

I love Zen Flight, I think it looks awesome. I wish I could use it as my own flying mount, but I can't. It is illogical to do so when it moves significantly slower than my other mounts.

Druids don't have to worry about this because they get their class specific flight form to scale with their mount training. No one else in the game has this luxury, and I don't understand why.

I also don't understand why Group B would NOT want this change.

Seriously? Who does it hurt? Who sits there and goes "I don't want my class improved."

Only on Blizzard game forums can I witness such routine belittlement of one's own gameplay. Like someone said to Shigeru Miyamoto "No Mr. Miyamoto I don't want Super Mario to be able to do a long jump in Super Mario 64. He couldn't do that in the old games, why should he do it now. FEAR CHANGE."
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/08/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Kenjiryu
I also don't understand why Group B would NOT want this change.

because the tradeoff would more than likely be the loss of things like fishing/hearthing/herbing/mining/etc from the glyph.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]