Sword Art Online Discussion

85 Human Rogue
Hokay, so I wrote up a huge post in a thread that was asking a different question, so I wanted to make a discussion thread about it! I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the Anime, and for now I'll just say spoilers abound, especially in my own post, so read at your own risk!

Spoilers

I loved the anime for a while, but as of right now I just like it; however, I am excited to see where it goes!

I loved the anime at the start because the setting is so understandable to want and love as a gamer (the completely virtual reality MMO). The show started out pretty great, with the interactions between the main character and the characters around him, and the action sequences were (and are) fantastic.

I really started to get annoyed by his severe phobia of grouping with people, his intense flare of a relationship with Asuna, and finally, their adopting of the NPC girl and subsequent reactions. Maybe there was a disconnect between the manga and the anime with time and time passing, but wow it felt so forced and unrealistic that I couldn't truly get down to the levels that the characters were at with their emotions. I felt too detached due to the fast paced progress of their love of each other and that NPC.

That actually made me look at the episodes and I realized that it was a pretty constant theme. I watch a lot of anime, so I know the Japanese can be a little overzealous with their attachments between characters and their full range of quickly developing emotions, which I'm not sure whether or not I should attribute it to simply the genre in the Japanese culture, or to the Japanese themselves, but most emotional connections, actions, and expressions in the show seem forced and unnatural a large amount of the time. Unfortunately, that's really bothered me, as raw emotions seem to be a big part of the anime, whereas I could look past it if they had focused on the combat and action of the anime.

Regardless, I watched it to the end, and I am now excited to see where it takes us. He's finally out of the game (which ended rather... oddly, due to the confusingly terse and lethargic creator's sad last words - you would think that Kirito would lambaste the guy for what he'd done, especially with no real explanation) and he's off to find Asuna, so I can only imagine what their interactions will be like in the future. It's also different to see an anime take one hugely imaginative setting for the plot and make a massive shift over to the "real world" future. I am interested to see what comes next, but if it's more of the disappointing emotional blitzing that we experienced in the first 14 episodes, I don't think I'll continue watching SAO
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
There were a lot of complaints that they'd introduce side characters just to have them disappear (or die) after a single episode. I think they were trying to give as many characters from the books cameos as possible in the episodes they had to work with, more than any cultural influences being at play.

Still watching though - curious to see how it plays out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes im loving this anime so far, love the concept, very creative. i wished they would have focused more on the tense survival theme of the show, but the romance and the tranquil themes came by surprise for me in a good way, and i think it actually made the series alot better in my opinion.

Whenever there was action it was always intense, i didnt even watch episode 11-12 due to episode reviews, it might ruin my taste for SAO if i see too many laid back lovey dovey scenes (which we know japanese anime is already full of). but yeah you can guess what my point is, there is too much room for positive relationship development in SAO in which i didnt think was the show was about. at first it i thought it was good, really good but when it went further with the relationship with the blacksmith and the in game child thats where it became a little too much for me to handle for my taste.

but overall im happy with the series so far.

(My comment on what the OP thinks of the raw emotions in the show being forced, to me it didnt seem that way. like you i have seen a ton of anime to the point i can tell which types of relationships are being forced down upon my throat. But in this anime Asunas worries and especially the main character Kirito expressing fear, loneliness and despair are very logical and sensible enough to relate to since they are dealing with the reality of life and death afterall, in which i thought was a very endearing portrayal of negative emotions that are portrayed throughout the show.)
Reply Quote
72 Undead Mage
I truly enjoy this anime series as well! I have read parts of the light novels and I must say that the anime adaptation is done quite beautifully. I think Kirito is a main character that I have been looking forward to seeing in a really long time. In most anime the main characters is very indecisive, fragile, and wimpy. Kirito just appears as that guy you know you want to be.

I just hope that the animation lives up to how great the light novels are (in my own opinion). I have had a blast reading parts of these light novels and I really hope the anime doesn't fail me either.

As far as his phobia for partnering with other people I think it is completely understandable. If it was just a game it would be silly but in this 'game' it is a matter of life or death. He feels obligated to protect these other players and be there for them. He has also felt like he felt people down. When he witnessed deaths of people he felt comfortable being with I don't think he wanted to feel that sense or feelings of losing another.

Anyway, I really enjoy Sword Art Online and I am hoping for more enjoyable episodes to come!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Transitioning into the second half seemed a little choppy, hopefully we don't go too long without Asuna.

Incredible villain though. Damn.

I'm usually pretty relaxed about my fiction but I passionately want to see that guy die.
Edited by Verelyse on 10/20/2012 6:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
10/20/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Midvale
Why didn't they just EMP the helmets? they wouldn't have had to rely on Gary Stu to save them otherwise

Wasn't there something about the helmets microwaving their brains at the first sign of tampering?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
10/20/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Midvale
Why didn't they just EMP the helmets? they wouldn't have had to rely on Gary Stu to save them otherwise

Why didn't all 10,000 of them just team up and steamroll every boss? Since Asuna discussed kiting a boss to a town, that means the dungeon bosses weren't restricted to their instances.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
As much good as I've heard about the anime, the pacing is pretty bad. At least for the first few episodes. The time skips every episode doesn't help. Neither does the relentlessly depressing tone of the whole thing. Perhaps it picks up later on in the series, but the beginning is a real slog.
Reply Quote
72 Undead Mage
Electro magnetic pulse would disable it before it ever gets triggered.

how did asuna overcome paralysis? power of love is just poor writing and cliche imo

This is kind of similar to Accel World's "Incarnate System" where the players in Accel World are able to use special abilities and what not through their sheer willpower. Now, before you say they are different anime these to anime / stories are set in the same world. SAO came before Accel World but they have the same concept. The "Incarnate System" in SAO is just Willpower. The player's willpower to overcome their own limitations and do more than the system allows them to. Of course they are not aware that this is some 'special ability' but it is the same nevertheless.

Also, there are ways to protect electronics against EMP. The helmets may have such defenses. Besides, we don't want the story to end just like that...
Edited by Smshurprvts on 10/22/2012 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
10/22/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Smshurprvts
Besides, we don't want the story to end just like that...

Most important part. :3

"So why didn't Thorondor just drop Frodo and the Ring into Mount Doom again?"

(Before anyone interjects, yes, I know all the reasons why that wouldn't have worked).
Reply Quote
72 Undead Mage
Most important part. :3

"So why didn't Thorondor just drop Frodo and the Ring into Mount Doom again?"

(Before anyone interjects, yes, I know all the reasons why that wouldn't have worked).

Love me this Rogue.
Edited by Smshurprvts on 10/22/2012 3:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
72 Undead Mage
So Kirito could've also cured his paralysis the same way when he was getting owned by Kuradeel but didn't?

It's the future, if anything EMP would be much much stronger.

In the light novel he was a bit more hopeless / accepting that he was about to die. I don't necessarily remember if it was the same in the anime but he pretty much thought "Well, I'm dead." Until you know he was saved by a super fast Asuna who somehow got there despite the great distance. (Maybe another example of the Incarnate System?)

As for the future argument that the EMP would be much stronger. Wouldn't EMP protection be the same? I mean, it's the future.

Also the willpower or 'Incarnate System' is not really well known. In SAO they just stumble upon it as an accident.So it is basically just willpower. While in Accel World it is known but only by a very few amount of people.
Edited by Smshurprvts on 10/22/2012 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
72 Undead Mage
10/22/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Midvale
Nobody knows since it was never brought up, so we can assume EMP's would have worked.

Exactly, but judging by the anime since it was never brought up, and if by chance in this alternative universe they had tried it we can assume that it did not work. ;)

By the way, I love your rogue. I wish I wasn't exceptionally lazy this expansion.
Edited by Smshurprvts on 10/22/2012 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Why don't we just assume there were spring-loaded magnetically-restricted extendable rods right near the ears that, in the event of power failure, would be released and drive metal rods directly into player's brains?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/22/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Midvale
how did asuna overcome paralysis? power of love is just poor writing and cliche imo

I'm guessing that Heathcliff disabled the paralysis because he knew that Asuna would try to save Kirito. Heathcliff was almost sarcastic in saying "Oh well, things happen...".
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
10/26/2012 01:31 AMPosted by Zekkyou

I'm guessing that Heathcliff disabled the paralysis because he knew that Asuna would try to save Kirito. Heathcliff was almost sarcastic in saying "Oh well, things happen...".

actually he admitted it there in the end that he was surprised to find two people who could surpass the world he created.. Both Asuna and Kirito broke the rules of his game through sheer willpower., Asuna by breaking the paralysis and Kirito by ....well not dying.

basically pure willpower = hack
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]