Caging pets

90 Goblin Death Knight
Why are so many pets that can be caught untradeable? It would be nice to be able to hunt rare qualities of the pets that can be numerous qualities to sell or trade, why is this like this?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
I like the idea.
Don't want to spend hours hunting for a minfernal?

Buy one off the AH and everyone wins!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Why can't I trade/sell captured wild pets?
Because Blizzard said no. There was a point in beta where this was allowed, but problems arose (including people buying level 25 pets and steamrolling through the Tamer quests).
Mumper quote(link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6148555633#8 )

We just finished a pass making all pets that are caught via pet battles in the world non-tradeable. This means these pets cannot be put in cages for trading or posting on the AH. We felt that the option to buy these pets on the AH would take away from the exploration/collection gameplay of the system.
This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP. You should see the change in our next build.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Ah well its good to know they may change it once the "newness" of the trainer quests has worn off and people have level 25 teams already... Even if they just made the rare span pets tradeable I would be happy :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Because Blizzard said no. There was a point in beta where this was allowed, but problems arose (including people buying level 25 pets and steamrolling through the Tamer quests).

We just finished a pass making all pets that are caught via pet battles in the world non-tradeable. This means these pets cannot be put in cages for trading or posting on the AH. We felt that the option to buy these pets on the AH would take away from the exploration/collection gameplay of the system.
This could always change in a future patch, but this is how it will go out with MoP. You should see the change in our next build.

Solution: You can only use a pet of the same level as one you personally raised.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
They just need to make it achievement based. You may purchase a level 25 pet but you can't use it until you have the achievement of leveling a pet to level 25.
Reply Quote
65 Troll Shaman
I thought that they had already made it so that you cannot learn a pet of a higher level than any you have in your pet journal.

That being the case, I don't get why we still cannot cage wild caught pets.

Side note: I have 3 Vampiric Batlings. I only really need 1, but I am not willing to just delete the 2 extras. I would love to be able to cage those and give the 2 extras to some friends as they are no longer attainable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm inclined to believe the real reason is this: If goldsellers could make insane money by camping rare pets, NONE of us would ever get one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Thats stupid. If I really want to I can let friends borrow or I could sell them level 25 pets that I raised from 1. They can steamroll the tamer quests just fine. Wild pets aren't the only pets that can hit 25 >_>. Although if what Mahatma says is true, then you wouldn't have to worry about this at all as they would need to have something of that level to learn it anyway.

10/10/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Destian
I'm inclined to believe the real reason is this: If goldsellers could make insane money by camping rare pets, NONE of us would ever get one.

Thats like saying camping for rare drop pets is a productive source of income. Its huge RNG base, there is no set spawn time, you just sit there and hope you get lucky. The only people willing to drop a fair amount of money on these pets are the same people who would be willing to camp them (In most cases.)

Honestly I really want to see tradable pets caught in the wild. There isn't really a good reason for them not being tradable.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Thats like saying camping for rare drop pets is a productive source of income. Its huge RNG base, there is no set spawn time, you just sit there and hope you get lucky. The only people willing to drop a fair amount of money on these pets are the same people who would be willing to camp them (In most cases.)

Honestly I really want to see tradable pets caught in the wild. There isn't really a good reason for them not being tradable.

Clearly, you've never farmed for a whelpling pet or searched for one on the AH. Remember when the green whelpling only dropped from a handful of mobs in Swamp of Sorrows? I do, because I had to fight a bot for each kill over the course of three days. Now imagine bots running around despawning all the minfernals...spawn of Onyxia...scorplings...scourged whelplings...and then putting the rares on the AH for way too much gold. Destian was right, if they were tradeable, none of us would have one because there'd be bots taking all the spawns.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
10/10/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Ryxl
Clearly, you've never farmed for a whelpling pet or searched for one on the AH. Remember when the green whelpling only dropped from a handful of mobs in Swamp of Sorrows? I do, because I had to fight a bot for each kill over the course of three days. Now imagine bots running around despawning all the minfernals...spawn of Onyxia...scorplings...scourged whelplings...and then putting the rares on the AH for way too much gold. Destian was right, if they were tradeable, none of us would have one because there'd be bots taking all the spawns.

i think any pet that is a super rare spawn is the wrong approach, as you say above it just rewards botting/staying online 24/7 (which is why they changed the old pvp system).

There needs to be a more challenge orientated way for pet battlers to get rare pets.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I was mostly talking about say I find a rare squirrel as examples go. Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing the rare spawning ones too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This was allowed in beta but players just bought max level pets that you can easily catch and destroyed all the lower level pet battle content.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Please no. Leave wild pets for people who actually want to play the game rather than having the chase spawns eternally camped 24x7 to feed the auction house.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i dont want to be outfarmed by some chinamen and have to resort to buying off the AH
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I agree.
Reply Quote
24 Dwarf Hunter
I have killed dozens rare pets because I already had a rare of that type. I would have captured them if there was the option to sell them. Of course then the AH would be flooded with rare squirrels, rats and snakes.

The problem with the hard to get pets like Minfernal and Giraffe Calf seems to be an artificially low spawn rate compared to other pets.
Reply Quote
58 Night Elf Death Knight

We'd be seeing them in the ah for fortunes, I wouldn't even want to guess how much they'd be trying to rip people off for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]