Protection Paladin Stat Weights

91 Tauren Paladin
I've been scouring the internet looking for stat weights. I know the stat priority:

stam > hit > expertise > mastery > haste > parry > dodge

But what are the actual numbers behind them? I'm terrible at reforging on my own. Askmrrobot is being crazy and telling me to reforge everything that I have into mastery. The last reforge addon didn't seem right either. Though that was in that odd period between 5.0.4 and the actual release of MoP. So, some actual numbers that I could plug into Askmrrobot would be awesome.

Also, just curious, is it really feasible to try and hit the full 15% expertise cap this early into the expansion? Wouldn't it be better to just the 7.5% dodge cap?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I prefer to focus on Parry/dodge mastery than hit/exp if you have a look on the icy-veins website it has some good information and explanations.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://sacredduty.net/
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32805

Best places to learn about paladin tanks.

Places like Icyveins are pretty much copying them and then have to scramble to catch them when they update stuff.

Mr. Robot even consults Theck (the person of the above 2 links) sometimes on stats.

10/10/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Banithen
Also, just curious, is it really feasible to try and hit the full 15% expertise cap this early into the expansion? Wouldn't it be better to just the 7.5% dodge cap?

Survival benefit of exp is constant. Just soft capping does not change its value from 7.5% to 15%. But of course if you are feeling like you are sacrificing too much damage reduction then you got to do what right for you and not what some nitwit like me on the forum says right?

But to answer your question. You probably cant do it in heroic 5man gear (unless you have really good luck on the random stack drops =P) but if you have the right items you can do it in LFR quality gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bani, I was struggling to find numbers to plug into Mr. Robot, as well. As Ceyln mentioned, Theck's work is the best and I was trying to find stat weights, but I think I am too dumb to know what the heck is going on in his threads.

I decided to try and make stat weights of my own using this priority (I personally value mastery slightly higher than haste, but that's my preference):

Hit = Expertise > Mastery > Haste > Dodge = Parry

Here are the stat weights I've been playing around with:

Hit = 1.01
Expertise = 1.0
Mastery = 0.75
Haste = 0.66
Armor = 0.5
Strength = 0.4
Dodge = 0.35
Parry = 0.35
Stamina = 0.3

I haven't actually reforged my gear in game, but this weight system gives a reforge with these values based on my current gear set-up:

Strength 8614
Stamina 24717
Mastery 16.69%
Physical Hit 7.46%
MH Expertise 14.79%
Melee Haste 16.34%
Health 492441
Armor 51072
Parry 12.05%
Dodge 4.69%
Parry (on gear) 12.53%
Dodge (on gear) 3.95%

I think that's a pretty healthy set-up, but again, I probably have no idea what I am doing so if someone else has more theorycrafting experience, please correct me :)

CAVEAT: Take everything I say with many grains of salt!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hey there, I'm one of the people behind Ask Mr. Robot. As previously mentioned, we're working with Theck on fine-tuning our pally stat weights. I wanted to be sure to let you know that we do have an 'ok' set of initial weights, but that we haven't updated them based on Theck's latest theories yet. So if you grab his numbers, feel free to put in custom stat weights.

Next week we'll have pally's updated :) Sorry for that delay btw!
Reply Quote
97 Blood Elf Paladin
10/10/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Hyperîon
I prefer to focus on Parry/dodge mastery than hit/exp if you have a look on the icy-veins website it has some good information and explanations.

Parry and dodge works well only up into heroic 5 mans; beyond that you're not doing much of a favor to your healers.

Also - stacking mastery without prioritizing hit/expertise is a really bad idea since you won't be able to reliably place SHoTR buff on yourself to utilize mastery stacking anyways. Against raid bosses, you're gonna get dodged/parried/missed a crapton if you don't take the time to prioritize hit and expertise. Sure, you'll eat more damage than you avoid - but it also means that you'll have a higher SHoTR uptime and essentially make healing more smoother and predictable. As long as you have a high HP, healers don't really use that much mana healing tanks; they use large spikes of their mana when you eat spiky damage since they'll be forced to drop fast and inefficient heals on you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Parry 12.05%
Dodge 4.69%
Parry (on gear) 12.53%
Dodge (on gear) 3.95%

This^ Dodge is simming out very poorly right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]