Why are players quitting Pet Battles suddenly

(Locked)

70 Undead Mage
I have played a butt load of PVP Pet Battles since launch.

Today I am noticing a strange trend and was curious if anyone knows why this is happening.

People are up and quitting the match. I mean almost everyone I play if they think they are going to lose they just quit.

Is there a benefit to doing this instead of playing out the full game?
90 Tauren Warrior
The only real benefit is that you save time in losing if you know you are going to lose (counter-picked or whatnot)

Think of it as leaving early in StarCraft II and saying GG. You don't actually stay until every building is dead.
90 Orc Shaman
There is no penalty at all for a loss, so if the battle is obviously one-sided, they lose nothing in quitting and going to a fairer battle.
90 Human Hunter
I haven't tried any PvP Pet Battles yet. Are there any penalties to the person that is left after one quits?
88 Troll Priest
10/02/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Manbropig
I haven't tried any PvP Pet Battles yet. Are there any penalties to the person that is left after one quits?
They don't get credit for a win.

For a while, forfeiting didn't count as a loss (which helped with the achievement to win 5 in a row.) They fixed that, though, so there isn't any reason to forfeit other than to get out of a match quicker.

However, given the lovely nature of many WoW players, I suspect that at least some of the people leaving at the end of a match right before they lose are doing it simply to spite the winner and deny them the win.
90 Human Paladin
The only real benefit is that you save time in losing if you know you are going to lose (counter-picked or whatnot)

Think of it as leaving early in StarCraft II and saying GG. You don't actually stay until every building is dead.

Yep, and a 'GG' essentially translates to 'checkmate'. When players know that defeat is inevitable, there usually isn't any reason for people to stick around.
90 Human Death Knight
However, given the lovely nature of many WoW players, I suspect that at least some of the people leaving at the end of a match right before they lose are doing it simply to spite the winner and deny them the win.

sadly, Id bet my Grunty thats its more because of that
85 Undead Mage
10/02/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Phee
They don't get credit for a win.

For a while, forfeiting didn't count as a loss (which helped with the achievement to win 5 in a row.) They fixed that, though, so there isn't any reason to forfeit other than to get out of a match quicker.

It still counts as a win, leaving early (now that the bug is fixed) hurts no one. There is nothing wrong with conceding a match that is won, it is polite in fact. Its a shame we can not talk to at least give a GG, but I guess its better than hearing the whines of OP WHY DID YOUR PROTO DRAKE BEAT MY CRITTER OPOPOPOP.
90 Worgen Warrior
10/02/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Phee

My, how online competition doesn't change.
90 Dwarf Priest
There's a glitch in some of the dailies for Golden Lotus where one of the quest givers doesn't show (phasing problem from what I've read). The 'fix' is reported to be to queue for a pet battle and forfeit and the quest giver is there (I've not tested this, as I can't be bothered to level a pet to 5 so I can queue - not a judgement against pet battles, just not my thing).

Maybe these are the folks you've run into?
Edited by Lignar on 10/2/2012 11:50 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Mage
A forfeiture -should- count as a win for the other player. It does in SC2 doesn't it?
90 Worgen Warrior
10/02/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Shanndi
A forfeiture -should- count as a win for the other player. It does in SC2 doesn't it?

I imagine it's something they overlooked, and will probably change soon.

I mean, no one here considered the possibility of a bunch of people quitting games early, apparently.
Edited by Jessebella on 10/2/2012 11:59 AM PDT
90 Gnome Warlock
In most competitive games, it's considered a courtesy to resign when it's obvious you're defeated instead of forcing the whole match to play out.
90 Night Elf Mage
10/02/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Jessebella

I imagine it's something they overlooked, and will probably change soon.

I mean, no one here considered the possibility of a bunch of people quitting games early, apparently.

Yah, you're prolly right about it changing. I know I didn't consider the possibility of people leaving early because, despite all evidence to the contrary, I refuse to assume that people playing a game I make will go out of their way to ruin it.

That's why I keep my vindictive streak handy. =) Assume the best, and when it doesn't happen...crush them. Depending on the intent and severity, of course.
86 Dwarf Hunter
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure that I pressed (or maybe just hovered my mouse over) the button to concede the other night and the system gave me an advisory that it would count as a loss.
90 Draenei Warrior
IT COUNTS AS A LOSS.

They already fixed it.
88 Troll Priest

It still counts as a win, leaving early (now that the bug is fixed) hurts no one. There is nothing wrong with conceding a match that is won, it is polite in fact. Its a shame we can not talk to at least give a GG, but I guess its better than hearing the whines of OP WHY DID YOUR PROTO DRAKE BEAT MY CRITTER OPOPOPOP.

Ah, last I heard they fixed the part where you could avoid a loss, but you still weren't getting a win if your opponent left. I haven't tested it myself though, so I'm just going based on what I'm hearing.

Keep in mind that counting as a loss for the person forfeiting doesn't necessity mean that it will count as a win for the opponent.
Edited by Phee on 10/2/2012 1:48 PM PDT
90 Draenei Hunter
It counts as a loss for the forfeiture, but does NOT count as a win for the other guy, which is a pretty dumb way to do it, if you ask me.
90 Blood Elf Priest
So it is working as intended? People are just QUITTING?
90 Human Hunter
I believe the reason players forfeit matches earlier on is that the system for pet battles presently is a zero sum game. If you lose you literally get nothing, unlike in battlegrounds in which you get honor points/reputation even for losing. It can be very frustrating to play a 5-10 minute pet battle match, lose, and then get nothing so it makes a good deal of sense (especially because queue times are so short) to refuse to fight players whose pets have 5-6 levels total on your pets and will therefore probably wreck your face based solely on the benefit to the various RNGs from passive stats. It would therefore make little sense in the pursuit of "fun gameplay" (at least compared to other PvP in WoW) to create a deserter debuff for pet battles unless some type of compensation is given for losses; albeit notably less than a win.
Edited by Bómberman on 10/2/2012 2:27 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]