@ Other Classes = How to Notice a Bad Brew

There is a huge issue with how other players see the Brewmaster. The spec itself is quite fun for those who prefer to be involved with their tanking but the skill gap is definately noticable when the dungeons stop becoming 5 DPSable and actually require a tank to be ready to go.

@ New Brewmasters
* Blackout Kick -> Shuffle - This is your lifeline and should be a button you press until you hit the 30s Shuffle buff, or your healers are okay with you working more of your rotation to damage. If it's not up your healers will notice.
* Guard - Unless glyphed (for only Magical damage), hit this when it's up unless you know a huge Burst sequence from the boss is about to happen. Absorb Shield = Less Healing needed.
* Guard Pt.2 - Guard scales off your Attack Power. Do not use it unless your Tiger Palm is maxed out at 3 stacks. Your specialization makes Tiger Palm free to use and should easily be maintained.
* Lv 30 Talents - These are not meant to be part of our Optimal rotation. If you see some issues with healing or want to be a more utility friendly monk, AND you can spare delaying a Guard, toss up one of the heals but don't go out of your way to maintain it. You are required to keep the enemies on you and that's what you are a brewmaster for. Not a healer.
* When to Clear the DoT - When shuffling, unless you see your Stagger in the red zone, do not try to clear it. If you're hurting and feel the need to clear more, do it no more than once every 10 seconds.
* When in doubt, Shuffle. - Unless your Shuffle buff is at 30s (Current Cap) or near it, Shuffle. Shuffle. Shuffle. The Mitigation is a huge benefit to your party if you keep it up. When it drops... it will be noticed.

Most of all, be patient. The initial pull will be a little crazy or off, but as soon as the motion of the tanking is in you'll be in for some nice pulls.

Note @ Healers - Currently, stuns are a real killer for the Brewmaster. The only option right now to combat it is to hopefully have a Shuffle fully maxed out or kiting.
Edited by Chunlia on 10/2/2012 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Chunlia
Note @ Healers - Currently, stuns are a real killer for the Brewmaster. The only option right now to combat it is to hopefully have a Shuffle fully maxed out or kiting

I'm not sure how/why bliz didn't preempt this problem.
Simple fix: while control of character is loss, you take less damage.
Problems: could cause pvp issues.
why it's needed: I'm fairly certain that monks have the lowest armor of any tank, i'm not sure how it is at end game, but mine currently is 23%..that's rogue levels.

however they fix it, something certainly needs to be done about it.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
@ New Brewmasters
* Shuffle - This is your lifeline and should be a button you press until you hit the 30s Shuffle buff, or your healers are okay with you working more of your rotation to damage. If it's not up your healers will notice.

By "Shuffle", Chunlia means "Blackout Kick". Note that you may want to alternate BOK with BOF on AOE pulls. BOF is always more damage if the enemy is affected by Keg Smash and does not already have a BOF rolling, but many enemies are immune to the secondary Keg Smash debuff.

Remember, Stagger by default does NOT reduce the total damage you take, and Stagger does not stack but instead rolls, so clearing the debuff at optimal times is the majority of Bewmaster Tanking.
Reply Quote
@ New Brewmasters
* Shuffle - This is your lifeline and should be a button you press until you hit the 30s Shuffle buff, or your healers are okay with you working more of your rotation to damage. If it's not up your healers will notice.

By "Shuffle", Chunlia means "Blackout Kick". Note that you may want to alternate BOK with BOF on AOE pulls. BOF is always more damage if the enemy is affected by Keg Smash and does not already have a BOF rolling, but many enemies are immune to the secondary Keg Smash debuff.

Remember, Stagger by default does NOT reduce the total damage you take, and Stagger does not stack but instead rolls, so clearing the debuff at optimal times is the majority of Bewmaster Tanking.

Fixed that, thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I have to say that this is pretty misguided advice. Why on earth would you want to try and get your shuffle buff to a 30s duration? All that chi you've wasted could've been spent on purifying brews.

This post doesn't even talk about dampen harm, avert harm, expel harm or elusive brew but my biggest point of contention is when you say not to purify unless your stagger is in the red. That is crazy! As long as you're keeping shuffle up and are hitting guard appropriately you should purify as often as your chi pool allows you. There is no point taking 10k+ damage every second just because you're waiting for heavy stagger before you purify.
Reply Quote
I have to say that this is pretty misguided advice. Why on earth would you want to try and get your shuffle buff to a 30s duration? All that chi you've wasted could've been spent on purifying brews.

This post doesn't even talk about dampen harm, avert harm, expel harm or elusive brew but my biggest point of contention is when you say not to purify unless your stagger is in the red. That is crazy! As long as you're keeping shuffle up and are hitting guard appropriately you should purify as often as your chi pool allows you. There is no point taking 10k+ damage every second just because you're waiting for heavy stagger before you purify.

Reread my post:
@ New Brewmasters

This wasn't meant to get into the nitty gritty but a quick way for new Brewmasters to work on the basics, instead of being overwhelmed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I can appreciate your intentions, I just think it best that brewmasters get into the habit of purifying frequently as early as possible, even if it means not worrying about your cooldowns while you practise.

I definitely don't think anyone should ever be trying to get their shuffle to 30s, that's going to hurt new brewmasters as they ignore all of their other abilities trying to ramp up a shuffle buff which is ultimately a pointless exercise because there's really no reason to have your shuffle higher than 10s duration.
Reply Quote
hey shootz, isn't your expertise way too high, and hit. I was under the impression that 7.5% is the goal for both.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
10/03/2012 05:40 AMPosted by Mokei
hey shootz, isn't your expertise way too high, and hit. I was under the impression that 7.5% is the goal for both.

due to nerf of baked in haste it may be better now to go for a full 15% expertise because we can't afford a missed keg smash
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Shuffle all day? Really? I level 15-80 almost exclusively in dungeons and 15-60 only using shuffle on bosses. 60-80 I only used shuffle when I pulled 2-3 groups or on bosses. I may have had heirlooms but my healer had 0 and had no problems keeping me up. I know my healer never hard heirlooms cuz it was my RAF friend healing me. I was like a dragon, just breathing fire on everything. Ain't much need for shuffle/guard at low levels when trash dies in a few seconds. They can't even get through your whole HP bar in that time especially at the rate you poop out healing spheres when AoE'ing.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
Gotta make sure to use the Power Strikes talent, too. Just because you're in a huge pack of mobs doesn't mean the only skill you can use is Spinning Crane Kick. Survivability's way more important, and the leading Keg Smash should hold the threat long enough for you to set up a blackout kick or two before you need to follow it up.

Oh, and healing orbs. Don't just stand there, pick them up when you're taking hits! Seriously.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]