90 Talents Problem Thread

90 Blood Elf Mage
How about we fill this topic with proposed replacements or fixes for the 90 talents instead of constantly trolling and qqing?

I would love to see what people come up with. and who knows? maybe blizz might take some into consideration.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Personally, I would like to see the 90 talents take on what feels more... Mage like. Of course keeping to our traditional fire, frost, and arcane specs and getting some sort of a damage boost from them. I have several ideas for each so let me know what you think.

[Wisdom of the Ancients]: Instant cast You channel the knowledge of all magi who came before you, granting increased abilities based on your specialization lasting 20 seconds.

Frost - Your frost spells shatter on impact, causing 50% damage to all enemies within 10 yards. (alternate: frost spells chill your targets every muscle on impact, causing them to act as if the target were frozen for 10 seconds and deal 10% more damage)

Fire - Your fire spells burn with continually increasing heat, causing targets affected by your fire dots to take 10% increased damage stacking up to 5 times.

Arcane - You master the power of time, causing your arcane spells to ignore channel and cast times allowing them to instant cast.

[Copy Cat]: Causes your mirror image spell to instead create a single clone of the caster with 50% health. the clone acts as a pet and will cast copies of its masters abilites dealing 40% damage/lasting 40% of the duration.

[Mana Bolt]: 4 second cast; The mage channels all remaining mana into a single bolt of magical energy dealing damage equal to 200% of the mana cost. 5 min cooldown
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Improvements:

Invocation: Invocation can now be channeled while moving.

Rune of Power: Instant. No GCD. Same amount of runes and time constraints as before. Base damage of all abilities lowered by 2%.

Incanter's Ward: You place a ward upon you that absorbs magic around you. Passive spell damage gained has been increased. You gain additional spell damage during ward (ward last for same duration and has same cd as current ward. Spell damage gained would be less than 30% to compensate for the increase in the passive amount).
edit: Also, ward is not based on absorption. It will give a fixed increase in spell damage. No more needing to stand in fire.

-----
Replacement Talent:

Improved Mana Gem: Mana gem now has 10 charges. Mana gem is off the global cooldown and provides 15% spell damage for 30 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown.
i.e. Macro to all abilities and forget about it.
Edited by Citygroup on 10/3/2012 12:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I like your suggestions. Of course, I am not 90 so I havnt had the opportunity to test the abilities myself. However, a few small changes to each would make them all viable. One main problem with the RoP talent that most people are complaining about is the mobility. Why not allow teleportation between the two circles much like a warlocks demonic circle?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vex
I dont see Blizzard just giving us brand new talents...

I like the addition of being able to Invocate on the move.

Your RoP sounds good but I dont think a decrease in 2% would be needed.

I dont think the current IW is all that bad, plus your new version of IW doesnt seem to have any negatives.
Reply Quote
Personally, I would like to see the 90 talents take on what feels more... Mage like. Of course keeping to our traditional fire, frost, and arcane specs and getting some sort of a damage boost from them. I have several ideas for each so let me know what you think.

[Wisdom of the Ancients]: Instant cast You channel the knowledge of all magi who came before you, granting increased abilities based on your specialization lasting 20 seconds.

Frost - Your frost spells shatter on impact, causing 50% damage to all enemies within 10 yards. (alternate: frost spells chill your targets every muscle on impact, causing them to act as if the target were frozen for 10 seconds and deal 10% more damage)

Fire - Your fire spells burn with continually increasing heat, causing targets affected by your fire dots to take 10% increased damage stacking up to 5 times.

Arcane - You master the power of time, causing your arcane spells to ignore channel and cast times allowing them to instant cast.

[Copy Cat]: Causes your mirror image spell to instead create a single clone of the caster with 50% health. the clone acts as a pet and will cast copies of its masters abilites dealing 40% damage/lasting 40% of the duration.

[Mana Bolt]: 4 second cast; The mage channels all remaining mana into a single bolt of magical energy dealing damage equal to 200% of the mana cost. 5 min cooldown

that is honestly great suggestions, but does blizzard even take anybodys suggestions into consideration?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Even if they dont its still makes me feel good to see other people like what I have to offer. Also, one other suggestion might be to allow teleportation between the 2 runes we can summon so we wont have to worry about losing the buff and it allows mobility.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage

Improvements:

Invocation: Invocation can now be channeled while moving.

Seems legit
Edited by Dayzuh on 10/3/2012 3:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Best idea:

8% bonus damage - or - 8% bonus damage - or - 8% bonus damage.

Just do this until Blizz finds something fun or interesting for our level 90 talent selections. I've played most classes with more complex rotations or whatever, and I still found them somewhere in the acceptable to fun range.

This is like giving a rogue some talent where they place a pot of poison at some location and have to run back to it every 20 seconds to redip their daggers. It's so dumb each and every option is horrendous.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Invocation: Buff starts at the start of the cast. If you need the mana and heals then let it channel otherwise you can interrupt and still refresh the buff. Adding the channel while you move will fix the "being left behind" problem.

Rune of Power: Sixty minute self buff. While the buff is active, the Rune is auto-cast and would appear under the mage 1.38 seconds (or so) after casting any hostile spell and would disappear when you move.

Incanter's Ward: Increase the base buff and reduce the on damage buff. This will provide a solution to everyone that hates the other two options no matter what.

(When you come up with your ideas please remember that if it requires major recoding then it will not happen...at least not until a major patch. I believe the ideas above require tweaks rather than major recoding but I obviously don't know.)
Edited by Fuzzywashere on 10/3/2012 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Dwarf Hunter
invoc on the move... isnt really channeled and youre asking for an interrupt
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/03/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Airlin
invoc on the move... isnt really channeled and youre asking for an interrupt

Technically it is Evocation that is channeled and Invocation is passive, so yeah. To interrupt I would include a /stopcasting for the macro were movement to be allowed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm not sure if my suggestions would require recoding or not especially the suggestion of teleporting between the two possible runes. I figured they could take the warlock coding for their demonic circle and add it to the rune.
Reply Quote
Best idea:

8% bonus damage - or - 8% bonus damage - or - 8% bonus damage.

Just do this until Blizz finds something fun or interesting for our level 90 talent selections. I've played most classes with more complex rotations or whatever, and I still found them somewhere in the acceptable to fun range.

This is like giving a rogue some talent where they place a pot of poison at some location and have to run back to it every 20 seconds to redip their daggers. It's so dumb each and every option is horrendous.

LMAO!
Reply Quote
Just hit 90 about 20 minutes ago and was listening to all the complaining about the level 90 talents being "crappy" and "weaksauce", but I couldn't believe it because they sounded so great:

10 sec evo? YES!

Drop a rune to increase hp5/mp5/ AND SP!! OMG YES!!

or how about ANOTHER shield that restores mana and SP Buff? YES YES YES!!

However upon my short experience with these abilities I can see they aren't nearly as great as they sound...
Evo doesn't do jack ish unless you channel the ENTIRE thing. Who has time for that?

RoP kills all bits of mobility mages need. basically a 15% decrease in dmg dealt anytime you have to move plus IT HAS A CAST TIME! It disappears after a minute or so as well. IMO make it instant cast no GCD and make it last until either 100 yards away or you cast a new one.

IW isn't horrible. Probably the only one with a decent design but they shouldn't make it a penalty for not taking damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/03/2012 12:23 AMPosted by Citygroup
Improved Mana Gem: Mana gem now has 10 charges. Mana gem is off the global cooldown and provides 15% spell damage for 30 seconds and has a 30 second cooldown.

I really like this idea! Mana gems really aren't used much anymore, but I would totally use them if they gave a spell buff when used.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Basically you have a choice-

1. lose significant time DPSing for a 25% damage buff you can use while moving (but the channeled spell take 6-8 seconds you can't move during and if you move early no buff for you) passive mana regen cut in half (OUCH for arcane!!)

2. have a 1.5 cast spot on the floor that gives you 15% damage bonus, you can have 2 on the floor at a time. passive mana regen doubled but evocation removed as a spell.

my suggestions-

for evocation- have it where the buff is incrimental, with the last 10% on the completion, the first 15% evenly throughout the first 85% of the channel. You still get to 25%, but if you have to move you are penalized some, but not hosed completely. Obviously the buff needs to be according to timing- if you start with 25% at 40 seconds and 12 seconds in use it for 5%, you still have the 25% until the end of that time, and if nothing greater than the 5% happens before time is up, then you have 5% for up to 12 seconds.

rune of power- the cast time is fine, but do us a favor give us a glyph for blink where it places one at your feet instantly but the buff doesn't take effect for 1.5 seconds.

in general- please fix arcane, it's dead right now (I'm thinking about arcane specifically for the evocation suggestion, it would make it much more viable).

as for the feel of mage- it doesn't feel right to be rooted in place, us veterans that play well use movment very efficiently, we'll get good at these mechanics too, but it feels much less dynamic thus far.
Edited by Knullvai on 10/7/2012 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Casting invocation while moving would be great, however that'll require a new animation and i dont think blizz will do that. Also the whole reson behind those lvl90 talents are that they are supposed to gimp our movement.

IMO, just reduce the cast from 6 to 5 secs or less would make it perfect.

Rune of Power should be instant, but on the gcd. Otherwise it would just be spammable.

Incanter's ward is fine, i guess

Another suggestion is to add another resource bar like demonic fury that can be replenished with our level90 talents. That'll mess up arcane tho.
Edited by Fury on 10/7/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]