Men v. Women - How socialization affects RP

100 Night Elf Warrior
10/04/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Astaeri
I have zero problems RPing a character of the opposite gender of me.
Ditto. It's like....climbing a small hill. Once you get to the top of it, it's just a easy walk down. Some of the nuances you have to grasp are not that hard to put to mind when writing opposite gendered character, but it's a simple method really.

Writing for the opposite gender you basically have to remember what physical differences there are between the character, and your own self, and from there you can build it with ease. What personality type is he to be? What kind of idea does he have of the opposite sex, is he a womanizer, or a flirtatious fellow? Or is he the shy type, and quiet around the opposite gender? These are the types of things that help define your character that you play around the opposite gendered characters.

Edit: Forgive my spelling, having trouble focusing today. ._.
Edited by Qerrathien on 10/4/2012 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I like incorporating feminine aspects into my masculine male characters. This is because it is of my thinking that true women have masculine aspects and true men have feminine aspects. It takes a balance of both to be a person.

Case in point, Vanstern. My explorer, drunken, gambling-addict... he certainly is a Man's Man in nearly every sense. However, that isn't all of who he is. Under his hard-shell exterior and protection devices (mostly, his masculinity) is a very sensitive person. Sensitivity is definitely a "female trait". However, REAL men posses some "feminine" traits.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I don't like to think of them as feminine and masculine aspects myself, because I feel that can be too constraining. Ferenold certainly has a side that's distinctly more 'fragile' and 'soft', but like you said Systar, almost all guys do.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
10/04/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Ferenold
I don't like to think of them as feminine and masculine aspects myself, because I feel that can be too constraining. Ferenold certainly has a side that's distinctly more 'fragile' and 'soft', but like you said Systar, almost all guys do.

They certainly are not strictly feminine or masculine. I was just using those labels because they are what society perceives them to be.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/04/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Systar

They certainly are not strictly feminine or masculine. I was just using those labels because they are what society perceives them to be.

Yeah, fair enough :D.
Reply Quote
4 Gnome Priest
I like that different cultures in the lore have slightly different views on gender, what it means and how much it matters. Makes the world (of warcraft) feel more realistic.

Like for example, I like that the Orcs don't care a lot about gender, just some subtle things here and there like the blacksmith in Org that has a thing for the twins, and then Forsaken couldn't care less, which may or may not be more a result of their undead-ness than culture, and that in Troll culture they've been very sexist but have been trying to tone it down (Darkspear, at least) since joining the Horde and how Troll women are exploring the opportunities the Horde influence brought them.

So to be honest I think Blizzard has done an okay job in this regard.

I think the men aren't quite as diverse from culture to culture in the lore's expectations of what "manly" might mean. And this is just my perception, but I think it's often the case in fantasy settings like WoW that man actually get troped and left boring way more than women.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/03/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Systar
How do you think our society and the socialization pertaining to gender is different from the races in Azeroth? How do you think they are similar?

A very large factor is the presence of female military personnel taking the field alongside their male counterparts. Females also hold high office of state and society.
Give an example of a lore character that is contrary to stereotypical gender role.

Male: Anduin Wrynn. Anduin displays a wider array of emotions than the typical Warcraft male, and is currently nurturing his talents as a healer and caretaker in spite of protests that this is an "unmanly" pursuit.

Female: Magna Aegwynn. Aegwynn was regarded as inferior to the male candidates to join the Tirisfalen, but engaged them in open competition to be chosen as the new Guardian. When she found herself manipulated by outside forces, she sought to thwart them by passing her power directly to her child. Rather than allow herself to be courted and wed and beget a child that way, she seduced Nielas Aran and discarded him after his purpose in her efforts had been served, effectively severing her relationship with the other mage.

Give an example of a lore character that falls into a stereotypical gender role.

Male: Garrosh Hellscream. Is there presently a character in lore more hypermasculine than the son of Grommash? His moping self-doubt in Garadar marked him as unmanly, but he's more than made up for it since with his open displays of aggression and anger. I think he hits every bullet point on the list.

Female: Jaina Proudmoore. In spite of her position as a head of state, Jaina has been typically defined as Daelin Proudmoore's daughter, as the betrothed of Arthas Menethil, as the woman who rejected Kael'thas Sunstrider, as Varian's confidant and Anduin's "aunt," as Thrall's friend (and sometime love interest, as fandom would have it), and is now Kalec's girlfriend. I don't think of her as Princess of Kul Tiras, as Lady of Theramore, or as head of the Kirin Tor, even though she's all of those things. I think of her in relationship to the men in her life, and that's a sad effect of how she's been written.

Bonus round: Aggralan, daughter of Ryal. Though at first, Aggra stands disdainful and in opposition of Thrall, the end of the book that introduced her finds her tamed and much of her venom drawn. She does yet backtalk Thrall in Twilight of the Aspects, but during the Firelands event, she immediately rushes to rescue her man and pledges to give him the life and family he's always wanted … even though they've known each other a matter of months at this point. If she could have been said to be shrewish before, much of that is gone now and she treats herself as subservient to Thrall.

Why is this important?

It's important because almost every race has strong male and female characters. The blood elves have Lor'themar Theron (sort of …) and Kael'thas Sunstrider, but they also have Lady Liadrin, and Kael'thas himself also had two female advisors: Capernian and Solarian, making the male/female split of named mobs in Kael's sanctum four to two — not quite even, but close. Al'ar doesn't count. Neither does Loot Reaver. The blood elves also arguably have Sylvanas and, by legacy, Alleria.
The Forsaken are led by a woman, who has a banshee as her advisor, but also had Putress in the past.
Even the patriarchal trolls have had a few female NPCs; Earthmender Norsala springs to mind, as does Vanira, who was involved in the Darkspear Isles event.

How does gender socialization affect your ability to roleplay the opposite sex?

I'd like to think it doesn't, but I play very few males these days.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
All I can say for certain from experience, is that every time I've seen guild drama that wound up with one or more people leaving the guild, a female was at the direct center of it. I'm not trying to imply anything, but that's truly been the case for me in the last five or so years, save for a couple of incidents.
Edited by Lailokan on 10/4/2012 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
10/04/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Lailokan
All I can say for certain from experience, is that every time I've seen guild drama that wound up with one or more people leaving the guild, a female was at the direct center of it. I'm not trying to imply anything, but that's truly been the case for me in the last five or so years, save for a couple of incidents.

I'm unsure how this has anything to do with the topic here.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
I've RPed male characters for so long that I feel like I can't RP women right without making them seem too... obvious.

@_@
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
I've RPed male characters for so long that I feel like I can't RP women right without making them seem too... obvious.

@_@

must be a dude behind the keyboard
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
10/04/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Lailokan

This is offensive. It has nothing to do with the topic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]