Leveling 85-90, Question

90 Orc Monk
So just a quick and simple question, leveling my Druid from 85 to 90 and wondering what the best spec is for mostly questing. I would prefer to be able to pull 3-5 mobs and handle them decently while still being able to do good single target DPS

I realize there is the Druid leveling guide 5.0 sticky, but after reading it I felt it was more of a generalized post explaining how to level as each spec, not really saying "If all you care about is leveling fast, do this" I've enjoyed the content on my Monk, now I just want to super charge through it.

I'm Balance right now, but I don't know, the damage just doesn't seem amazing. Well, thanks for any help!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Balance is pretty solid lvling, guardian is doable as well.

Overall I was happier with balance even if the damage isnt "amazing" with glyph of the moonbeast you have more then enough utility to keep yourself going, and with eclipse changing you never go oom! its great
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I switch back and forth nearly every day between Ferel & Boomkin, and keep Resto for dungeons. Ferel seems a little faster and also has elf heals although Boomkin seems better for PvP (I'm in Hyjal at the moment and bump into a lot of Alliance there.)

Ferel seems to perform better in dungeons too, mainly due to Boomkin ramp up time and poor AoE.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
85-90 I'd recommend going moonkin. Feral is very frustrating with lack of Energy regen and meh AoE, but moonkin you blow things up and kite. Don't forget Feral bear is now not very good, so you can't rely on that very much when things get hairy (Might of Ursoc aside, of course).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I leveled as feral, and given the amount of time I was available to play, I leveled pretty quickly. As far as energy starvation goes, you really shouldn't notice it if you juggle cooldowns. I'd typically get full bleeds on whatever I was fighting, and then 'phoon them off me while i PS+HT and let energy come back for another (mangle) or two, and be done.

I'd also typically pull 3 mobs at a time, TF+Zerk, thrash, and swipe spam. Mix in a NS+HT and I'd blow through quests.

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Had no problem with large packs as guardian, but my dps sucked. Seemed to lack control in moonkin, prefer it when I am not getting beat by mobs. But once I switched to feral, things seemed to improve a lot...especially once I found out about Predatory Swiftness. Previously, could only handle 2-3 mobs at the most, but with the heal, I could possibly handle more.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Feral was really quite easy, and pretty fun, honestly. I tried boomkin, but found my survivability as feral far far superior. Predators swiftness heals, NT heals/cyclone/root, Survival Instincts, barkskin, Tigers Fury, berserk.. I was able to chain pull mobs by just wild charging, rake, mangle, mangle, rip, wild charge to the next, same thing, and so on until I had about 5 mobs down to 20%ish from bleeds, with myself at full health from PS procs, and then just Thrash, swipe combo until they die. The passive energy regen kinda sucks, but with Soul of the Forest refund on finishers+tigers fury I found myself having plenty of energy to do what I wanted to do, with berserk as an emergency cd if I pulled too many at a time i could pop that to get more bleeds out/more PS procs/more direct damage. I never had a problem once.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Going from Monk to Druid, I'd recommend Feral.

The speed and survivability of Balance drops after the first few opening quests. Once you hit Valley, you'll start feeling how low your DPS is, even after gear upgrades from quests/dungeons. Once you realise Starfall is to be used with caution you'll slow down even more as you'd only be single targeting mobs from then onwards. Due to the length of your fights, you'll macro Rejuv into your rotation (assuming you'll be Glyphing for healing while in Moonkin form).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Balance is the worst by a huge margin. Don't level Balance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've found that after trying all 3 damage specs for leveling (just came back to wow after 2.5 year break so all my toons started @ 80 about 3 weeks ago) and having leveled my DK last couple weeks through Cata and MOP that I am staying guardian.

The key to not "feeling slow" as guardian is to use vengeance to your advantage... I RARELY ever pull less than 3-5 mobs at a time.

After having just finished leveling my DK (as frost until 88, then I discovered blood/vengeance and basically mass aoe'ing mobs) I noticed that through MOP there are TONS of mobs everywhere. I used to worry about getting more than a couple adds as frost in MOP but as blood they are welcome participants to the engagement.

I'm going to use the mob density in MOP to my advantage and level guardian (I also like to queue instances to break the quest monotony) using vengeance to it's fullest.

Barkskin+Might of Ursoc+Renewal if Frenzied Regeneration isn't enough. If you really get in trouble Typhoon and Vortex are amazing for being able to pop out of bearform and self heal.

Pulling 6-10 mobs at a time I often pop barkskin at the start and after a couple seconds my attack power is so high I'm mowing mobs down SUPER fast...
Edited by Gladiatar on 10/26/2012 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
Feral is the fastest for leveling and has been since the Burning Crusade expansion. :)
Reply Quote
3 Draenei Shaman
I've found that after trying all 3 damage specs for leveling (just came back to wow after 2.5 year break so all my toons started @ 80 about 3 weeks ago) and having leveled my DK last couple weeks through Cata and MOP that I am staying guardian.

The key to not "feeling slow" as guardian is to use vengeance to your advantage... I RARELY ever pull less than 3-5 mobs at a time.

After having just finished leveling my DK (as frost until 88, then I discovered blood/vengeance and basically mass aoe'ing mobs) I noticed that through MOP there are TONS of mobs everywhere. I used to worry about getting more than a couple adds as frost in MOP but as blood they are welcome participants to the engagement.

I'm going to use the mob density in MOP to my advantage and level guardian (I also like to queue instances to break the quest monotony) using vengeance to it's fullest.

Barkskin+Might of Ursoc+Renewal if Frenzied Regeneration isn't enough. If you really get in trouble Typhoon and Vortex are amazing for being able to pop out of bearform and self heal.

Pulling 6-10 mobs at a time I often pop barkskin at the start and after a couple seconds my attack power is so high I'm mowing mobs down SUPER fast...

I did the same thing with my DK, and eveled my druid as guardian aswell.
The other specs just cant compete once you start getting in areas with more and more groups.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Feral is the fastest for leveling and has been since the Burning Crusade expansion. :)

Feral and guardian are pretty equal varying by what type of quest you're doing. Feral does better than guardian in one-unit kill quests (with high hp) and quests where rounding up multiple units is not feasible (typically due to distance). For the much more plentiful kill-12-of-this-mob quests, guardian will out-pace feral significantly.
Edited by Nourah on 10/26/2012 3:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
10/26/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Lissanna

I don't know, it's pretty slow right now.
I didn't level at all with boomkin in MoP, so I can't say which is better. But my warlock is lvling at light speed compared to my feral... and with completely crap gear (still just 395 at 89... my feral started at 406)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]