Monks are underpowered! vs Monks are fine!

2 Undead Mage
Someones subjective experience does not really say anything about the objective state of a class. (or most other things for that matter)

Comments like "I topped the charts that time i pvp'd on my monk" or "monk is bad because i have 2800 rating on my old main <insert class> and now i whilst playing a monk i was defeated by another player!"
are anecdotal evidence and doesn't prove or disprove anything
We will have to wait for a sufficient pool of PvP ranking and WoL encounter data before any certain judgement on the Monk class viability can be quantified.

In the meantime what does it really matter? Either you are enjoying playing your monk or you are not.
If you are not then stop playing it. Your leisure time should be spent doing something that relieves you of stress, not causing it.
If you are: carry on and damn everything else.

I will however say this:
I think that most players in light of the passed experience of a new class introduction (Wotlk DKs) expected Monks to be the new OP.
Now those players are discovering that monks aren't overtly overpowered because blizzard was deathly afraid of another DK debacle.

This disconnect between expectation and reality has exasperated the sense many players have gotten of Monks being under powered. Another contributor to this may also be that with monks being so new players have not had time to amply practice the class before making assumptions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Someones subjective experience does not really say anything...

I'd like to go out on a limb here and point out a few things.

The first being, on the day when everyone was able to start PvPing and gain honor gear. Most of us had leveling gear and some of us had dungeon/heroic blues. However, regardless, several classes were significantly more dominant in their damage. I'm going to just say DK's and S-priests for now.
10/05/2012 04:39 AMPosted by Roksteady
blizzard was deathly afraid of another DK debacle.

So instead they recreated the DK debacle with the DK's, for the third expansion.

I carry on.

Now that people have gear or at the least, passed the 50% resil point. We are still finding that monks on average, are doing terrible. What i have found to be the main cause for this, is that about 1/3 (subjective) of our damage comes from white swings. We need to be glued to an opponent to deal that damage. Since we have some very bad up-time when it comes to taggin' players, it exponentially increases the PvP skill-cap required to play the class.

I see this as being the WotLK hunter, which had a huge skill check. What people are failing to see is that the people that are doing well, are ones that have passed the skill check. They make it look easy, because they're good at what they do.

For everyone else, they're playing in a competition that demands more, and they can't offer more.

tl;dr

The class requires more skill than most, so it will be buffed more due to QQ. Mechanics wont be fixed for WW because it's not a healer/tank spec, so it's low priority. Expect things like self-heals and damage to be band aid-fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 05:21 AMPosted by Dalthire
What i have found to be the main cause for this, is that about 1/3 (subjective) of our damage comes from white swings. We need to be glued to an opponent to deal that damage. Since we have some very bad up-time when it comes to taggin' players, it exponentially increases the PvP skill-cap required to play the class.

The issue is that the vast majority of your activity comes from auto-attack, Jab, and Tiger Palm....none of which are really all that powerful in damage. Blackout Kick is your third most damaging ability and your Chi dump when FoF and RSK (both of which combined outdo ALL of your other damage sources) are on cooldown.

It's not even sustained damage. It's crappy damage with two short cooldown abilities that hit much much harder than anything else you do. It's not a bad thing that those two hit so hard, but it is a bad thing that all of your other sources of damage are so negligible while consuming so much of your uptime.

Jab and Tiger Palm are going to give players Carpal Tunnel at this rate. They need to be less "spammy", so that your uptime is spent less on building resources and maintaining buffs, and more on doing damage. This would help tremendously toward the gcd locking for monks.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
10/05/2012 06:23 AMPosted by Altoholic
Jab and Tiger Palm are going to give players Carpal Tunnel at this rate.

Monk in general will give us all Carpal Tunnel syndrome.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
OP's colorful story is not the case.

Monk PvP damage is horrendous.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I think everyone has pretty much reached the same conclusion without having to look at representation (there won't be any) or Arena.net or w/e

Monk damage in PVP is absolutely horrendous.

PVE is a different story. I think we're fine in PVE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]