I need a direction please.

90 Pandaren Monk
Hey all. I'm just really struggling with my will to continue playing this character. I put so much hard work into leveling it, but right now it just feels so -stale- and I can't figure out why. I'm just not enjoying this character as much as I thought.

Windwalker rotation is essnetially: Jab, jab, BoK or RSK. Occaisionally hit a procced Tiger Paw for continued Tiger power. Use the brew at 10 stacks for 20% extra dmg when possible. Use Xuen the tiger. -yawn-. 3 buttons, where have I seen this before? Oh hey arcane mage.

Brewmaster: Keg Smash, then jab, BoK, Guard and sometimes elusive brew. Also around 3 buttons...except for various situational things. -yawn- it's like a tank arcane mage of old!

Mistweaver: My experience was I got into a dungeon...couldn't keep the tank up for the first pull he was taking so much damage, we all wiped, and I was OOM horribly quickly and I jumped ship so it wouldn't be a terrible run for everyone. I also kind of don't "get" healing on a monk.

Any help or advice or tips? I already have a lot of rep grinded for a lot of factions and all the time invested in this guy...and I love being Pandaren...but..idk my Hunter or Warlock are looking more and more attractive lately.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
you probably wont find too many tanks that are more complicated than BM right now. So if thats too easy for you, I would suggest going dps/heals.

I know for me personally, I've never been a huge fan of melee dps, and even less so of one with such a simple rotation, so a ranged dps may be better for you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
OP I like how you claim that DPS and Tank is easy yet you say that you don't understand healing.

Sounds like you don't actually understand DPS and tanking. I suggest go back and look at DPS and tanking again and really look at your abilities. Also check out your talents.

But if you want to argue. I can do it too.

Warrior Tank - Thunderclap, revenge spam, shield block, devastate when nothing is up. Faceroll.
But I failed to add charge, heroic leap, shockwave (if you choose), intervene, spell reflect, and many other utilities. These are what makes a good prot war from a faceroll prot war.

Faceroll WW from a good WW. Faceroll BM from a good BM.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
This is kinda subjective.. I don't know but I personally identify myself with the "monk way to do things", since I'm a huge fan of martial arts and siege weaponry in general. The touch of doin' things in a different mechanic from the other classes of the game made things even more fun for me. But, as I said before, this is completely subjective.

If you aren't enjoyning the class, don't extend your pain. If you think you can have fun with it, explore the gaps and try to find something. Have you tried some more dynamic activities? PvP? Sometimes the grind can be quite boring as you already know, so the more you diversify your in game do's and done's, the less chance of boredom you get, in some time off course.
Edited by Artheran on 10/5/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Mistweaver healing is different than any other healer, i'm definitely no expert in it and am learning new things everyday but stacking spirit is essential and understanding the class is essential. With the mana heals along with chi heals there are endless opportunities and possibilities.

When I hit 90 and got geared enough for heroics I had the same thing happen to me as you did, the first pull the tank took too much damage and everyone wiped. I took that fail and went back to normals/scenarios and healed to find out what worked best since I found it hard to 'practice' my rotations sitting in sw thinking of what could happen, I had to experience it. I'm now able to heal heroics in my gear with a few close calls but nonetheless usually successful runs.

Healing as a monk is way fun, I suggest putting the time in.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Oh hell man i'm not any help here, I just like punching crap in the face, over and over, a lot.

tl;dr face punching is fun.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
OP I like how you claim that DPS and Tank is easy yet you say that you don't understand healing.

Sounds like you don't actually understand DPS and tanking. I suggest go back and look at DPS and tanking again and really look at your abilities. Also check out your talents.

Warrior Tank - Thunderclap, revenge spam, shield block, devastate when nothing is up. Faceroll.
But I failed to add charge, heroic leap, shockwave (if you choose), intervene, spell reflect, and many other utilities. These are what makes a good prot war from a faceroll prot war.

To be truly fair all tanks at the moment are incredibly boring. Druid is essentially spam thrash on Cooldown, mangle and maul sometimes.

Blood DK is pretty much a whole lot of deathstriking and keeping up disease.

Paladin is spam Jugdement, Exorcism and Crusader strike to 3 holy power then hit the Shield.

They're all boring.

Also, no kidding about all that extra stuff. But that's what it is. The meat and potatoes of the rotation is what I mentioned. Obviously there are going to be situations when you need to use your talents, cooldowns and extraneous other abilities, but in the normal everyday of things you're not going to add "Dampen Magic" to your rotation. You're not going to be using Expel Harm on cooldown everytime it's up. You're not going to be using like 90% of your abilities all the time. No class is. The abilities exist for a reason but the real rotation is like 3 buttons.

The DPS and Tanking specs ARE EASY. You can look at them all you want, you can have all these extra abilities and whatever but the MEAT AND POTATOES EVERYDAY ROTATION is simple as ****.

The healing I don't get because of the whole swapping between melee and ranged. Also they don't seem to have the same set-up as the other classes.

There's light damage top off, medium damage heal, big fast heal lots of mana, big slow heal not as much mana, and then AOE healing abilities for like 90% of the classes. The Monk's aren't so clearly defined, and what does being melee provide? Big heals? Medium heals? Small heals? What's the primary healing range? melee? Ranged? Both? It's more complicated and set up differently than any healer in the game hence; I don't understand.
Edited by Kouze on 10/5/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

To be truly fair all tanks at the moment are incredibly boring. Druid is essentially spam thrash on Cooldown, mangle and maul sometimes.

Blood DK is pretty much a whole lot of deathstriking and keeping up disease.

Paladin is spam Jugdement, Exorcism and Crusader strike to 3 holy power then hit the Shield.

They're all boring.

Also, no kidding about all that extra stuff. But that's what it is. The meat and potatoes of the rotation is what I mentioned. Obviously there are going to be situations when you need to use your talents, cooldowns and extraneous other abilities, but in the normal everyday of things you're not going to add "Dampen Magic" to your rotation. You're not going to be using Expel Harm on cooldown everytime it's up. You're not going to be using like 90% of your abilities all the time. No class is. The abilities exist for a reason but the real rotation is like 3 buttons.

sounds like the problem is you, and not the classes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Tanking isn't just holding threat and surviving.

DK: How about maximizing dps or deathstrikes. Watch the Dark Corruption buff, time it with your next rune strike. Don't let you Runic Power hit full at any time during the fight. Always keep 1 of each Rune on charge. Interrupt. Time your AMS to reduce even more damage.

Monk: You can Leg Sweep. Keep your Shuffle up. Use Purifying Brew. Keep up the 30% armor piercing. Use Elusive Brew. Roll to kite (and avoid damage).

What you are doing essentially is just doing the bare minimum. Every tank is tank'n spank, with class perks. Every DPS is 3-4 main buttons, with class perks. Every heal is... you get the point, hopefully.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
10/05/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Kouze
Brewmaster: Keg Smash, then jab, BoK, Guard and sometimes elusive brew. Also around 3 buttons...except for various situational things. -yawn- it's like a tank arcane mage of old!

If this is all you were doing as a Brewmaster, you were playing very poorly.

Personally, I feel like monks aren't particularly interesting to play, but not because they have too few buttons.

ed:
You're not going to be using Expel Harm on cooldown everytime it's up. You're not going to be using like 90% of your abilities all the time. No class is.

If you weren't using EH nearly on cooldown, you probably didn't look into how your abilities work very much. Skilled players have reasons to use nearly every ability they have, especially as content becomes more difficult.
Edited by Descretoria on 10/5/2012 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Pandaren Monk
Hey OP Lrn 2 Mana Tea. Might fix your mana problem
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
10/05/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Artanys
Have you tried some more dynamic activities? PvP?

Unless level 90 PvP is better than lower levels, don't - at least as a Windwalker.

This has been a study in frustration for me. I have wanted to play a monk since I started back in early WotLK. My mains have been a Combat rogue and an Enhancement shaman - both tricked out with fist weapons just so I could emulate a monk. So you can imagine my excitement when I got the chance to roll a Windwalker.

But I gotta tell you, I'm nothing but one big, fat, free Honor kill. I can't burst anything down, particularly if it has a shield spell or healer. And it's just way too squishy. Fortifying Brew and Touch of Karma only extend the pain a few more seconds. Control is good in theory, but horrible in practice because you really need to stick to your target, and your gap closers almost always overshoot.

Ranged classes are eating me alive. Melee classes I can handle, until their buddies roll in, then I just blow up.

Someone please, please, PLEASE tell me it's better at 90. Should I just level and ignore sub-90 PvP for now?

/sigh

I never said it was good or anything... Just consider it as an option. Although I don't faceroll people I'm quite able to have some fun on PvP. At level 90 I've seen many people say they can do pretty well, even aganist the odds. Just gotta reach there to try it myself!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Hey all. I'm just really struggling with my will to continue playing this character. I put so much hard work into leveling it, but right now it just feels so -stale- and I can't figure out why. I'm just not enjoying this character as much as I thought.

Windwalker rotation is essnetially: Jab, jab, BoK or RSK. Occaisionally hit a procced Tiger Paw for continued Tiger power. Use the brew at 10 stacks for 20% extra dmg when possible. Use Xuen the tiger. -yawn-. 3 buttons, where have I seen this before? Oh hey arcane mage.

Mistweaver: My experience was I got into a dungeon...couldn't keep the tank up for the first pull he was taking so much damage, we all wiped, and I was OOM horribly quickly and I jumped ship so it wouldn't be a terrible run for everyone. I also kind of don't "get" healing on a monk.

Any help or advice or tips? I already have a lot of rep grinded for a lot of factions and all the time invested in this guy...and I love being Pandaren...but..idk my Hunter or Warlock are looking more and more attractive lately.

I actually love the state the class is in. Brewmaster keeps me completely involved with trying to mainin all 3 of my self buffs, and also do maximum DPS.

Mistweaver is very good at raid healing, it just takes time to figure out how to do it without going OOM. Their tank healing isn't 'bursty' but Cocoon helps a lot. However, if a tank is dropping insanely quick, chances are part is on him as well, with the new defense system.
Reply Quote
55 Pandaren Monk
Oh hell man i'm not any help here, I just like punching crap in the face, over and over, a lot.

tl;dr face punching is fun.

^ This... x100. That and those rare times when you do get to use BoF. How can anyone not like breathing fire on a booze soaked enemy? Light em up like the 4th of July!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]