Mote of Harmony, a Blizz contradiction?

OK, from what I've read the idea behind using a BoP reagent as central crafting material was; 'to get crafters away from the AH and back into the world." OK, fine, a sound idea.

However the definition of a gathering profession is to GATHER MATS for crafting professions, so why can't we get Motes of Harmony from skinning/mining/herbing? If anything, having two crafting professions and farming mobs for gold/motes just seems like a better set up at the moment.

Please, Blizz, fix it, as you can see from a lot of threads concerning Motes and other crafting materials a lot of people are unhappy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I do agree that we should get Motes randomly off of successful skins, herbing or mining. Although the drop rate would have to stay low considering how abundant natural resources are in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Herb/mining, that I could agree with. Skinning I'm less certain about. The reason being, the drop chance for the mote should have already happened, when the mob was killed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
They have specifically said they want people out in the world. That is one of the main theme of this xpac. That's why the quartermasters are out in the world as well.

Harmony still sucks.

If they have to get people out into the world with a stick then it might be a better idea to reevaluate the world design and what about it makes players avoid it. People are going to play the way they want and efforts to manipulate and micromanage will only lead to resentment.

People are going to complain about anything that makes the game more difficult for them.

They tried a different approach in Cataclysm and made the dungeons punishing and people complained about that also until it got nerfed.

The fact is people are going to complain about anything inconvenient even if in the long run it's good for the game as it prolongs the life of the content because people aren't able to blitz through it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Mahanik
Herb/mining, that I could agree with. Skinning I'm less certain about. The reason being, the drop chance for the mote should have already happened, when the mob was killed.

So? By that logic, skinning shouldn't produce leather either. Skinners treat dead, fully looted beasts as resource nodes. There is no logical reason that they should not produce motes for the skinner, if we are going to posit that herbs and ore veins produce motes for herbalists and miners.

The drop rate for motes from a beast is for killing it. Skinning it would have its own additional chance, as a way to get motes with your gathering profession, just like herbalists would get motes from gathering herbs and miners would get them from mining ore.

Edit: The prevalence of dead, fully looted beasts killed by other players would probably justify a lower mote drop rate than herbs or ore veins, though. I think my hunter only killed about 2/3 of the beasts he skinned leveling in Pandaria.
Edited by Moncrief on 10/6/2012 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So? By that logic, skinning shouldn't produce leather either. Skinners treat dead, fully looted beasts as resource nodes. There is no logical reason that they should not produce motes for the skinner, if we are going to posit that herbs and ore veins produce motes for herbalists and miners.

his point is that with skinning you already get a chance at motes since you are killing/looting mobs so adding a chance to actually skin a mote would give you 2 chances at motes. Same reason herb/mining give XP and skinning doesn't.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
People are going to complain about anything that makes the game more difficult for them.

They tried a different approach in Cataclysm and made the dungeons punishing and people complained about that also until it got nerfed.

The fact is people are going to complain about anything inconvenient even if in the long run it's good for the game as it prolongs the life of the content because people aren't able to blitz through it.

Farming motes is not difficult. Time consuming and difficulty are two completely different beasts.

Tell me, what good do Spirits of Harmony serve? At what point is it fun to be leveling professions only to suddenly realize that you can't progress without using 1 or more Spirits on a worthless item that's going to get vendored or disenchanted anyway? How is it enjoyable that the main component of almost every profession is not reliably obtainable in any way, except by grinding up Tillers rep and filling your farmland with them?

The drop rate is absurdly low, it doesn't come from gathering nodes, and it's BoP. God forbid I level a pure gatherer or an alt that otherwise doesn't have a profession. I'll be stocking up on all of these useless blobs that I can turn in (at a massive loss) for basic resources that I can gather at least twice as many before I even find 1 mote drop.

They want people out in the world - fine. There are better ways to do that than repeating and amplifying the annoyance of the Chaos Orb mistake. At the very least with Chaos Orbs you can farm them predictably, you just needed to gather some friends or cross your fingers. That Chaos Orb was definitely going to drop. You can't say that about Motes of Harmony.

The drop rate needs to be upped. Drastically. I should have multiple Spirits by the end of a few hour session, not less than 1 Spirit per level.
They need to lose their unnecessary soulbinding restriction.
Or they need to be a key ingredient ONLY for a select few L600 items, or exclusively for new recipes.

These things are valuable for all of the wrong reasons. As much as I love the expansion, the Spirit of Harmony is the thing I loathe the most. I have nothing positive to say about it. It's a terrible idea with no excuse to exist given that they've already tried and failed with this experiment. I'm not going to be going out into the world farming for Spirits. I'm going to want to play less because I really enjoy the professions mini-game. Knowing I'm going to continually hit brick walls just because I refuse to go out and grind (and even if I did, I have no guarantee that I'll come back with even 1 Spirit) is nothing but frustrating and unfun.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Time Consuming = Difficult in an MMORPG.

That's how the game is built. That's how the genre is built.

The challenge for players is how best to take something that should take a long time (like a raid because of gear check bosses) and do it in a shorter period of time.

Take the time consuming aspect away and the game is easy. That's how this genre plays out. Go check any other MMO on the market and it's the same way. If you don't want things to be time consuming don't play MMO's. It clearly isn't the genre for you.
Reply Quote
82 Tauren Priest
Rhykess is right.

BoPing this basic item is a cynical exercise of 'time-sinking' by Blizzard no matter what the stated aim of 'getting people out in the world' suggests. It shows a significant lack of understanding regarding just who plays this game, and why.

The Blizzard attitude of 'this is how you'll play OUR game' illustrates the contempt they show the WoW community and the absurd lengths they will go to in their attempt to control players.
- I'm not into this focus on running Dungeons again, and again, and again ad infinitum.
- I'm not into roaming the countryside killing mobs for the same reason.
- PvE is not for men any longer. Done that horrible time consuming nonsense and won't go back.
- I'm for the WAR in World of WAR-craft in spite of the awful imbalances that exist between the classes. BUT NO...NOW Blizz wants to make me a farmer of low level BoP motes.

And, Vindicare...you've got it wrong! If the only answer you give is "That's how the game is built" then you are EXACTLY the type of player that Blizzard loves... accepting of everything Blizzard does, following orders and dutifully coming out to defend their position in spite of the spiteful, patronizing and arrogant manner it treats its player base.

Oh...you are right in one respect...if things don't change, my 6 years with WoW will come to an end in about 2 months.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Rhykess is right.

BoPing this basic item is a cynical exercise of 'time-sinking' by Blizzard no matter what the stated aim of 'getting people out in the world' suggests. It shows a significant lack of understanding regarding just who plays this game, and why.

The numbers speak differently than the voices do on the forums.

When things are time consuming people play more, either because they feel they are forced to or because they enjoy it.

When people cap out on things to do as was the case throughout virtually the entirety of Cataclysm aside from those people that level'd tons of alts, they stop playing and when they stop playing they stop subscribing.

Time consuming tasks might seem tedious to certain sections of the playerbase but as long as it keeps people playing the same content longer it's better for the game's bottom line.

You're arguing about what you think players want, while Blizzard is acting now on what they know keeps players playing and unless people start unsubscribing in protest, they'll be correct. However considering how the current time consuming aspect of Mists of Pandaria doesn't even scratch that of Classic or Burning Crusade when WoW was in its absolute prime I highly doubt that people will start quitting now.
Edited by Vindicare on 10/8/2012 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I thought people were reporting motes from herbing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
10/08/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Jozie
I thought people were reporting motes from herbing.

I haven't gotten a single one from Herbing, so unless they're just an absurdly rare drop, then that's not true.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think the system as it works right now is perfect. Keep the drop rate of Harmony's low, keep them BoP, and only from mobs. I hated botters, especially the ones that would operate right below the map and farm nodes, etc. This means everyone has to go out and kill stuff to craft.

Good going and keep up the great work in this area Bliz! :-)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
If they wanted to prevent them from the AH they should be BoA. No reason a player with multiple profs should have to go out multiple times on multiple toons to farm something they might have sitting in a large stack on another toon. I kept saying it with chaos orbs, yet they choose the boe route, and i'm gonna keep saying it with these motes till they get it right. The day Blizz starts looking at solutions to problems through the eyes of achieving their stated goals while minimizing legitimate community impact. Unless of course their goal is not to bring profs back into the world and out of AH. BoP sure makes a lot of sense if goal is "Want to maximize the time a player has to spend crafting anything, so it stretches over the course of many monthly subs"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
"to get crafters away from the AH and back into the world."

"the world" now = whatever pack of mobs you're farming.
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Druid
Just make motes BoA, I'm fine with them otherwise. I can farm 1.6 a day just from my farm, and I know a lot of really good farming spots out in the world to farm them as well.

I just don't want to be out in the world farming on my disc priest, regardless of being a dual boxer, I prefer my shaman out with my druid over my priest. It's a preference thing.

BoA and I'm a very happy girl!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]