Lock or Mage - am really stuck!

85 Worgen Mage
hello :-)

i have always loved my mages, in every MMO i play - i pick mages! i loved my mage all through cata, she pulled amazing DPs (arcane.. yes i'm lazy :-P)

now that MOP is here.. i'm wondering if it's worth to stay a mage, or goto my lock (level 70) for something new and fresh..

are mages still good in MOP? are their rotations hard? is mage / locks DPs competitive? is arcane still viable in MOP?

any tips would be appreciated

TIA
Edited by Zåråh on 10/6/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
All 3 mage specs seem to be at or near the top. Affliction warlocks are competitive with mages, demonology is slightly above middle of the pack, and destruction is mediocre.

Of the 6 specs available to both classes, destro is the easiest and demo is the hardest (opinion). I'd recommend warlock for something "new and fresh" (mostly because I'd like less people playing mages).

If we just take into account level 90 talent options, I'd rather play a mage than a warlock. Mages have complained about L90 talents, and there are some serious concerns, but warlock L90 talents are pure crap (PvE, mostly).
Edited by Jamlielle on 10/6/2012 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
thanks Jaml, it's too bloody hard to decide zzz
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Go with mage I had the same decision and I felt like it was impossible, I had to choose from like four different classes, mage, warlock , elemental shaman and hunter.. I have been debating since beginning of MoP, got my warlock to level 87 and was like this is not for me, switched to mage almost level 86 and I'm loving every it of it, the new 2 frost spells are simply amazing :-).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Just go Fire Mage.
We're like a Warlock except Ghostcrawler loves us.
Reply Quote
Go mage or go home.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Numbers-wise, it's a toss up currently. Locks did get a significant amount of love and no longer require 65 different keybinds to play properly, and have been made almost moron-proof.

If you can stand the level 90 talents and how they affect the playstyle, then the mage is still a blast to play.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
roll both
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
affliction and demonology are like gods compared to any mage spec
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
warlocks dont need amazing level 90 talents our dps is already top notch QQ bout yo talents guh
Edited by Tamaki on 10/7/2012 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mages are still uber. locks are also very impressive...as i ALSO have both.... since other than a SP which is OP in its own braket it seems a ton of mage players have locks... or vice versa cause each sees the other do well and we get the grass is greener complex and want both :3

My mage does very well on nearly everything and weighing both together i think mage and lock lvl 90 talents are both pretty bad unless you PVE. If rune of power could be used and STILL had evocate... then i'd be fine. Incanters shield is ok but the damage it absorbs is totally pathetic.....its only for activating the damage buff..... so yeah... i say let our arcane missiles ALSO get spread like arcane barrage which i luv that spell.... and tweak our upper tiers for more realistic PvP choices.... like maybe a final lvl 90 talent Arcane Cataclysm...(note this move is stupid and op and im not serious) explodes in a 60 yard radius (like Halo) and hit evrything and applies Nether Tempest to em....and slow....or maybe a Talent where you get 2 blinks and if you use the second within a 3 second window the second blink gives you a run speed increase like the old awesome blink talent choice gave mages...i miss that run speed!!!

Overall i'd be a fan of just nerfing clothies armor and physical damage taken to barely anything..and reducing cooldowns and improving their control and having them melt to a physical class like cut blink CD to half and frost nova down 20% and iceblock by half and invis by half.. nerf stuns abit and slows from physical classes to compensate so its not TOO easy... but make every clothiy weak on damage taken but improve their utility from abilities so more skill can be drawn from overall good classes lock,mage,priest. Dont give everyone a base 40% resiliance... don't buff and nerf and buff and nerf till arthas comes back....make casters have an innate ability to resist magical damage though from magic/disease dots..... they deal with that all the time... like a snake handler can actually become resistant to poison..... or if you blink while stunned it causes a proc to reduce blink CD by half or sumthing.... i dont like the same chess game over and over with a warrior to fight him...he charges me... i blink... he uses the other one and hamstrings you or w.e and ur stuck and die.... not all warriors are good... but a great warrior can eat a mage if they play it right.

idk... im not the devs but i see alot of good tweaking they could do....

TLDR. Ponies....buffs....nerfs....l2p......bring auth servers up plox
Edited by Kyonshï on 10/7/2012 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Mages are still uber. locks are also very impressive...as i ALSO have both.... since other than a SP which is OP in its own braket it seems a ton of mage players have locks... or vice versa cause each sees the other do well and we get the grass is greener complex and want both :3

My mage does very well on nearly everything and weighing both together i think mage and lock lvl 90 talents are both pretty bad unless you PVE. If rune of power could be used and STILL had evocate... then i'd be fine. Incanters shield is ok but the damage it absorbs is totally pathetic.....its only for activating the damage buff..... so yeah... i say let our arcane missiles ALSO get spread like arcane barrage which i luv that spell.... and tweak our upper tiers for more realistic PvP choices.... like maybe a final lvl 90 talent Arcane Cataclysm...(note this move is stupid and op and im not serious) explodes in a 60 yard radius (like Halo) and hit evrything and applies Nether Tempest to em....and slow....or maybe a Talent where you get 2 blinks and if you use the second within a 3 second window the second blink gives you a run speed increase like the old awesome blink talent choice gave mages...i miss that run speed!!!

Overall i'd be a fan of just nerfing clothies armor and physical damage taken to barely anything..and reducing cooldowns and improving their control and having them melt to a physical class like cut blink CD to half and frost nova down 20% and iceblock by half and invis by half.. nerf stuns abit and slows from physical classes to compensate so its not TOO easy... but make every clothiy weak on damage taken but improve their utility from abilities so more skill can be drawn from overall good classes lock,mage,priest. Dont give everyone a base 40% resiliance... don't buff and nerf and buff and nerf till arthas comes back....make casters have an innate ability to resist magical damage though from magic/disease dots..... they deal with that all the time... like a snake handler can actually become resistant to poison..... or if you blink while stunned it causes a proc to reduce blink CD by half or sumthing.... i dont like the same chess game over and over with a warrior to fight him...he charges me... i blink... he uses the other one and hamstrings you or w.e and ur stuck and die.... not all warriors are good... but a great warrior can eat a mage if they play it right.

idk... im not the devs but i see alot of good tweaking they could do....

TLDR. Ponies....buffs....nerfs....l2p......bring auth servers up plox

lol i started leveling a mage before just so i could freeze ppl and and make mana food..mana food was the big turn on ... dem cakes
Reply Quote
I stopped playing this mage to level my Destro Warlock. Destro plays as smoothly as Fire, does competitive DPS (better AoE than any mage spec), Aff beats any mage spec in overall by sims...

And best of all, Warlocks don't have ridiculous lvl 90 maintenance buffs to deal with.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I stopped playing this mage to level my Destro Warlock. Destro plays as smoothly as Fire, does competitive DPS (better AoE than any mage spec), Aff beats any mage spec in overall by sims...

And best of all, Warlocks don't have ridiculous lvl 90 maintenance buffs to deal with.

Warlock plays like a mage in slow motion.
Reply Quote
No I am Stuck.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Stuck
No I am Stuck.
Reply Quote
You know it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Warlocks have flashier spells and cooler looking robes.

That's about my only reason for going a Lock if I ever rolled one lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]