Priest or Warlock?

90 Undead Priest
Hello all!
I am shooting for 2.2k+(3v3)even though I know this will take a lot of time/experience.
I'm trying to decide between these two classes so if you could tell me some of the main differences or why you prefer one over the other, I would be very grateful!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Define priest. Disc/holy/shadow.
Basically, as warlock, your job is to fear/spell lock really well, and otherwise just spread your dots while staying alive. There's nothing else for you to do in that situation, assuming you're rolling the normal afflic.
As shadowpriest your job is threefold: provide support in the form of healing/dispells when your healer can't, deal very high single-target damage, and set up nice void tendrils/fears/ etc, all which require high positioning.
IMO, it's much harder to be a good SPriest, however, the better ones are the best casters in game.
For comparison, look up Azaels and Talbadar, Lock and Priest respectively. Same team, Team EG, but the two classes you require.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thank you for the info.

Well I do love to heal, but disc is the worst spec atm? ):
So most likely spriest.
Maybe i'll stick to spriest because of the high skill cap?
any place that gives good tips/macros/etc for only priest?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
shadow is good, disc needs buffs

locks are always good, but you are stuck as dps only (not a bad thing, but if you want to heal too go priest)

cant go wrong either way, try both and play what you like

Warlock is the only class I have never played.
Don't want to level one to max just to find out I don't like it. :P
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

well in that case, affliction will always be a solid choice for 3v3, the amount of control and utility you offer your team is something most other classes cant do

How do they control the enemy? just spam fear?
I was looking through the talents and was curious about all the life regen abilities.
Would they do well 1v1? RBG's as well?
In 3's it's mainly just spread dots, spam fear?
Edited by Baww on 10/7/2012 10:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
bump.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

PTR is up soon. Try one.

Do I have to install a separate client? or how does that work?

Also what is the best PvP spec for Warlocks right now?
Destruction looks fun to me, I have never understood Demo, and Affliction has always seemed like a support class.
Edited by Baww on 10/12/2012 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Priests are really bad 1v1 vs. melee right now. Also, in order to deal the high single target damage Raventhor is talking about, you will be relying on lots of RNG this expac. Affliction Warlocks are currently weak. Aff Dots are hitting ~70% less then they did in Cataclysm, given the damage to HP ratio.. which is bad considering they were already weaker in Cata than in any previous expac. Either way most top Warlocks are running Destro in Arena right now because Afflic is underperforming. Destro is alright but GL getting Chaos Bolts off vs. any competent team. As far as Warlock 1v1, Destro is performing well in this area due to incredible self healing (Ember Tap), solid control and the fact that you actually can get Chaos Bolts off in a duel. Also, I'd have to disagree with Raventhor when it comes to skillcap: IMO Warlock skillcap is substantially higher than SPriest.. especially right now.

I don't think they will be buffing SPriests any.. if anything they will likely see a self healing nerf in the future. However, I'd put my money on Blizzard buffing Affliction Warlocks soon. Disc will probably get a mana cost reduction across the board eventually, but still were gutted enough to likely leave them below Druids and Shamans for the rest of the expac unelss major changes take place.

My vote: Warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/12/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Creepindethh
Priests are really bad 1v1 vs. melee right now

Maybe warriors, all other melee are a joke against spriests now. Warriors only because of fear immunity and their annoying stuns.

Your point about RNG is absolutely correct though. When it goes your way with double Mind Spike procs, and MB proc all while having 3 orbs, you can burst someone down hella fast. But you have to have those procs to get it.

They won't be buffing spriests, and though I would see a nerf coming to heals, the healing problem is more about pvp power then the baseline heal. As my pvp power has risen my heals in arena/bgs have as well.

Watch Taldabar, he also explains stuff very well in his videos.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Spriest.

Spriest, frost mage, healer. Same comp was rocking reckful, vanguards, shamman.

Mages and priests have always had great synergy. Lock are still totally viable and very strong in some setups, but I think if you are newer and looking to push that high, spriest is a bit more straightforward. Also, shadow has a huge healing component now so its not like you won't have your chance to toss out a few poms and flashes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Majority of warlocks I've faced in arenas have been destruction including myself lol. Affliction looks promising. But many people choose destro for chaos bolt and its high damage. If you can manage to build 3+ Embers. Pop your Mastery and have 2 Conflags ready, So backlash can reduce the cast for it. So Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Its always best to reserve and keep 1 Ember handy Unless you see fit that it might be able to finish off someone, but you should keep it for Shadowburn. And don't be afrad to attack a low health pet of anykind, because if you shadown burn it , it will result in your gaining more Embers.Then go back to your Happy Incinerate spamming. Respectively throwing to rain of fire for its stun and chance to gain more embers. Make sure you set up your Demonic Circle and Gateway in a nice place.
Other than that, pray that the warrior doesnt stay on you.
^.^
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Priests are really bad 1v1 vs. melee right now. Also, in order to deal the high single target damage Raventhor is talking about, you will be relying on lots of RNG this expac. Affliction Warlocks are currently weak. Aff Dots are hitting ~70% less then they did in Cataclysm, given the damage to HP ratio.. which is bad considering they were already weaker in Cata than in any previous expac. Either way most top Warlocks are running Destro in Arena right now because Afflic is underperforming. Destro is alright but GL getting Chaos Bolts off vs. any competent team. As far as Warlock 1v1, Destro is performing well in this area due to incredible self healing (Ember Tap), solid control and the fact that you actually can get Chaos Bolts off in a duel. Also, I'd have to disagree with Raventhor when it comes to skillcap: IMO Warlock skillcap is substantially higher than SPriest.. especially right now.

I don't think they will be buffing SPriests any.. if anything they will likely see a self healing nerf in the future. However, I'd put my money on Blizzard buffing Affliction Warlocks soon. Disc will probably get a mana cost reduction across the board eventually, but still were gutted enough to likely leave them below Druids and Shamans for the rest of the expac unelss major changes take place.

My vote: Warlock.

Well written post, thank you! I keep leaning closer and closer to the lock. :D

10/12/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Goldenbrown
Priests are really bad 1v1 vs. melee right now

Maybe warriors, all other melee are a joke against spriests now. Warriors only because of fear immunity and their annoying stuns.

Your point about RNG is absolutely correct though. When it goes your way with double Mind Spike procs, and MB proc all while having 3 orbs, you can burst someone down hella fast. But you have to have those procs to get it.

They won't be buffing spriests, and though I would see a nerf coming to heals, the healing problem is more about pvp power then the baseline heal. As my pvp power has risen my heals in arena/bgs have as well.

Watch Taldabar, he also explains stuff very well in his videos.

I have such a problem with this. I'm almost 100% sure that I read somewhere from GC that he said they didn't want RNG or Passive type things in the game. Yet I feel like they have implemented more. :/ RNG is not a fun or rewarding game play design in my opinion.

Spriest.

Spriest, frost mage, healer. Same comp was rocking reckful, vanguards, shamman.

Mages and priests have always had great synergy. Lock are still totally viable and very strong in some setups, but I think if you are newer and looking to push that high, spriest is a bit more straightforward. Also, shadow has a huge healing component now so its not like you won't have your chance to toss out a few poms and flashes.

Hmm. Well I know I have no rating, but if I can't get 2k easily, I'll be very very suprised. I just really hate the ramp up time with sPriest. Im not a fan of the devouring plague mechanic and the RNG like i just stated. :S

Majority of warlocks I've faced in arenas have been destruction including myself lol. Affliction looks promising. But many people choose destro for chaos bolt and its high damage. If you can manage to build 3+ Embers. Pop your Mastery and have 2 Conflags ready, So backlash can reduce the cast for it. So Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Conflag, Chaos Bolt, Its always best to reserve and keep 1 Ember handy Unless you see fit that it might be able to finish off someone, but you should keep it for Shadowburn. And don't be afrad to attack a low health pet of anykind, because if you shadown burn it , it will result in your gaining more Embers.Then go back to your Happy Incinerate spamming. Respectively throwing to rain of fire for its stun and chance to gain more embers. Make sure you set up your Demonic Circle and Gateway in a nice place.
Other than that, pray that the warrior doesnt stay on you.
^.^

Hmm, I have a question for you since I have never played a warlock. What kind of surviveability do they have? Just multiple heals that they can use while people stay on them? Or can a warlock kite? Just a portal? Not sure what has been added! Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
The Survivability that i've discovered with my current talnets and glyphs is beyond fair lol. I will admit it. I've manage to survive 3 dps on me and come back to kill at least 2 of the 3 many times.
To Boot, I've been in 5 man heroics where the Tank dies. And im next in threat so i take aggro. And well, with all my cds popped i almost take less damage than the tank. Or maybe not nessecarily take less damage, but in combination with the healer healing me and my own self heals provides a more steady health drop and gain.

Dark Regenaration + Glyphed Healthstone + Dark Bargain (Bubble) + Unending Resolve + Shadow Bulwark (30% health increase) + My resto druids Symbiosis Rejuv + Drain life (that can be cast while moving) I don't die lololol.
But Arenas are an entirely different story via Hunter/Warrior.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I have noticed that the spec a warlock should roll depends on what your partner is for 2s and 3s. If you are going double burst dps, then destro is the way to go definitely but I am running lock/resto druid in 2s currently and I cant seem to get to much damage off if I am playing destro. The other team focuses me and I am unable to get chaos bolts of between two dps classes with stuns and interrupts on me. Even if I pop Unending Resolve, I just get stunned at the end of my chaos bolt of fear into a chaos bolt. I am playing affliction though and while there is no true "burst" to affliction, it has been doing quite well for me. Being able to dot up the enemy team and not have many hard casts is nice. If a team does let you get maelific grasps off on them, you deal so much more damage than you did last season since dots deal half their damage each time your maelific grasp ticks. To me both specs are fun, but affliction seems more viable in 2s if you are rolling healer or always getting focused which was always happening to me. Affliction also provides a slow after your fear expires which is very useful. In my opinion.

At this point in the game, all hybrid classes have a ridiculous amount of healing. I have been in arenas where a hybrid did as much healing as my resto druid partner and was able to keep himself up for a decent amount of time. Between a shadow priest bubble and the heals, you shouldn't have much problem with staying alive as a priest, but the same goes for warlocks because they have an amazing amount of self healing. I agree with people that shadow priest burst is almost completely RNG based, but it was like that in cata as well with having to have your dots generate your orbs for you to get your huge mind blasts crits.

I have played both classes and I enjoy both of them. I prefer warlock more because you can control the enemy really well, but they do lack the burst that a shadow priest can generate. Locks have Demonic Teleport and Demonic Gateway to get away from people while priest can get a fear on a 45 sec CD I believe and Psyfiend or Tendrils, movement speed for a short time on dispersion and a fade untargetable by ranged attacks. IMO locks are better at escaping pressure because they can completely LoS targets instantly. Twice if played correctly.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The Survivability that i've discovered with my current talnets and glyphs is beyond fair lol. I will admit it. I've manage to survive 3 dps on me and come back to kill at least 2 of the 3 many times.
To Boot, I've been in 5 man heroics where the Tank dies. And im next in threat so i take aggro. And well, with all my cds popped i almost take less damage than the tank. Or maybe not nessecarily take less damage, but in combination with the healer healing me and my own self heals provides a more steady health drop and gain.

Dark Regenaration + Glyphed Healthstone + Dark Bargain (Bubble) + Unending Resolve + Shadow Bulwark (30% health increase) + My resto druids Symbiosis Rejuv + Drain life (that can be cast while moving) I don't die lololol.
But Arenas are an entirely different story via Hunter/Warrior.

So basically no escapes/kiting abilities, just heals?

I have noticed that the spec a warlock should roll depends on what your partner is for 2s and 3s. If you are going double burst dps, then destro is the way to go definitely but I am running lock/resto druid in 2s currently and I cant seem to get to much damage off if I am playing destro. The other team focuses me and I am unable to get chaos bolts of between two dps classes with stuns and interrupts on me. Even if I pop Unending Resolve, I just get stunned at the end of my chaos bolt of fear into a chaos bolt. I am playing affliction though and while there is no true "burst" to affliction, it has been doing quite well for me. Being able to dot up the enemy team and not have many hard casts is nice. If a team does let you get maelific grasps off on them, you deal so much more damage than you did last season since dots deal half their damage each time your maelific grasp ticks. To me both specs are fun, but affliction seems more viable in 2s if you are rolling healer or always getting focused which was always happening to me. Affliction also provides a slow after your fear expires which is very useful. In my opinion.

At this point in the game, all hybrid classes have a ridiculous amount of healing. I have been in arenas where a hybrid did as much healing as my resto druid partner and was able to keep himself up for a decent amount of time. Between a shadow priest bubble and the heals, you shouldn't have much problem with staying alive as a priest, but the same goes for warlocks because they have an amazing amount of self healing. I agree with people that shadow priest burst is almost completely RNG based, but it was like that in cata as well with having to have your dots generate your orbs for you to get your huge mind blasts crits.

I have played both classes and I enjoy both of them. I prefer warlock more because you can control the enemy really well, but they do lack the burst that a shadow priest can generate. Locks have Demonic Teleport and Demonic Gateway to get away from people while priest can get a fear on a 45 sec CD I believe and Psyfiend or Tendrils, movement speed for a short time on dispersion and a fade untargetable by ranged attacks. IMO locks are better at escaping pressure because they can completely LoS targets instantly. Twice if played correctly.

What is the CD on gate by chance? Also if you get a high rating in 2's or 5's is it looked down upon? I also seemed to think 3's was where the "Pros" were? And I use to play Mage/Rogue because I loved the amount of control you could have over someone. My favorite thing to play in mmo's is a class that can control the enemy. Is warlock the best at this?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You have your demonic circle and gateway, which is very effective against most classes. I extremly struggled with warriors, just because it was impossible to shake one off me. and you are very prone to interrupts and such. You only have Unending resolve to ensure a chaos bolt to cast. BUT they will just /laugh at you and pop Mass spell reflection and you watch it smacked back in your face.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]