Heroic 5 mans and Challenge modes

90 Blood Elf Monk
Still waiting for my group to pull themselves together for challenge mode dungeons. I know they are timed, and the gear level is set to a maximum. Do challenge mode offer a harder difficulty beyond that?

If standing in the fire of challenge modes kills you instantly, that's great and all, but it does not improve the (how I see it) under tuned quality of 5 man heroics. I'm not asking for bosses to have more health as all it would do is drag out an under tuned fight. What I think would be cool is more punishing mechanics if people fail to avoid them.

The way dungeons seemed to have been designed was to the idea that if you stand in bad stuff, you will eventually OOM your healer and fail. The OOM design is not working. I think the best way to keep myself from being bored doing heroics is if every fight was as punishing as Armsmaster Harlan, and then add fire puddles on the ground every 5 sec while he's doing his blades of light. These fire puddles have a 2 second arming time, and then deal 55% of your maximum health every 1.5 seconds, but wait, it gets better! The adds that get caught up with him have their armor and weapons drawn into the whirling glory that is death, and after 1 round of spinning, one of the weapons shoots out somewhere in the room that a player needs to pick up. This weapon, being light infused can now be thrown via extra action button once it is picked up. 3 second cast time on the light infused weapon, stuns Harlan for 3 seconds also stopping him from continuing blades of light.

Do that to every fight and heroics may feel heroic, even if challenge modes offer that much punishment and complexity, I feel challenge modes need to be about speed and efficiency, and all heroics of any setting need to be bottled death. ATM people can stand in Striker Ga'dok's fire trail on gate of the setting sun, while licking Windex, and still live to see the end of the fight.
Edited by Bawsco on 10/8/2012 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
10/08/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Bawsco
What I think would be cool is more punishing mechanics if people fail to avoid them.
dying instantly to stuff you are standing in or dying instantly to a hit from a mob when you are not the tank is about as punishing as you can get unless you want to just ban everyone from the game permanently who stands in stuff or gets hit if they are not the tank instead of just killing their toons...
Edited by Zaxan on 10/8/2012 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/08/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Zaxan
dying instantly to stuff you are standing in or dying instantly to a hit from a mob when you are not the tank is about as punishing as you can get unless you want to just ban everyone from the game permanently who stands in stuff or gets hit if they are not the tank instead of just killing their toons...

Yes please.
Edited by Bawsco on 10/8/2012 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
10/08/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Bawsco

Yes please.
sorry, blizzard wants everyone's money, not just yours... /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/08/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Zaxan
sorry, blizzard wants everyone's money, not just yours... /shrug

I'm sorry too, and I understand... /cry
Edited by Bawsco on 10/8/2012 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I did Gate of the Setting Sun last night on challenge mode. There's no "instant kill" mechanics. Mobs will simply tear you to pieces without smart play. Adds can hit upwards of 100k, need perfect stuns and coordination. Boss mechanics cannot be ignored. (i.e. the green slime on the 3rd boss), bombs doing 200k a hit on first boss, strafe fire doing 100k a sec instead of 13k a sec on heroic. etc etc. It is legitimately hard, and even finishing the dungeon is an accomplishment.

Bosses are also immune to Army of the Dead taunting, so no cheesing it that way either.
Edited by Milicatwo on 10/8/2012 8:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]