What should I shoot for average shuffle time

90 Pandaren Monk
I am having a hard time keeping shuffle up. How much shuffle time do you get up initially and how much time do you try and keep banked for stuns etc?

For me I have been trying to get to 10-15 sec then keeping 5-10 banked.

Also, I am having a hard time holding multiple mobs. I do fine most of the time, but there are too many times when I am waiting for keg smash to come off of cooldown and I am struggling to hold some mobs off of healers or dps (or generally just having good threat).

edit: Am I doing this totally wrong? Should not bank any other the the amount I get from one bok?
Edited by Pandamônium on 10/9/2012 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
- Ok by any means im a pro monk tank and stuff, but let me share what it seems to working out...and my english is not that good, but lets try, ok?

when you got 3 or more mobs, use spinning crane if keg smash is in CD, if treat is your problem and not exactly survival, you have Dizzying Haze that pulls alot of good threath and costs minimal energy plus its aoe and gives the debuff.

now shuffle

Well, I like to keep the 6 seconds, normaly I use keg smash, then blackout kick, jab to get 2 chi points then my guard( or if its a boss or a heavy damage mob, I use tiger palm then guard ), i think right after using guard, keg is out CD but if it's not and its a single enemy fight, use the jabs or expel harm, if you are already with guard and got like 4 chi, you can let banked like you said or use two times black out kick against stuns (12 sec shuffle you be on you ).

hope I helped in something
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
As a tank your primary responsibility is holding aggro, with your second responsibility being to stay alive. On AoE trash pulls make sure to solidify your aggro first by throwing out a few aoe abilities (SCK, KT, KS, SCK, DB) after you've got solid aggro, then you can spend some chi on survivability by getting shuffle and guard up.

As for how much time to keep on it, don't worry too much about it, just make sure its up as much as possible. On boss fights, you'll find that its not too hard to keep up 100% of the time because all you'll be doing is BoK and KS between jabs (and the occasional TP).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
First, I'd like to point out that stuns - both on yourself or the target itself - will cause any Shuffle you have to be worth nothing. Being stunned prevents you from dodging and parrying attacks.

For actual durations during gameplay, it isn't quite as simple as "I want to keep more than 5 seconds of Shuffle"; there are times when you want to keep 100% uptime on Shuffle while using every other Chi gained for Purifying Brew (Rattlegore, Scholomance).

In contrast, there are also times when you want to shift your priority to maintaining 100% Guard uptime, using Chi Wave on cooldown, and only using Blackout Kick to prevent Chi capping (Chillheart, Scholomance). As a tank, you need to know when you're taking damage that can be avoided and not spend resources on something that doesn't help you.

As for holding threat on multiple targets, I'm surprised this is even an issue. The monk performs far better under this situation than any other tank. While other tanks would have a cooldown on their abilities, we are only limited by our energy. We also have access to an area of effect taunt - by taunting our Statue of the Ox.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/09/2012 06:13 AMPosted by Wind
will cause any Shuffle you have to be worth nothing.

I would argue the exact opposite. Shuffle also adds 20% to your staggered damage. This is paramount when stunned.

EDIT: Well, perhaps not paramount. A guard up just before getting stunned is probably better, but shuffle is very important to survive those stuns.
Edited by Chuin on 10/9/2012 6:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
First, I'd like to point out that stuns - both on yourself or the target itself - will cause any Shuffle you have to be worth nothing. Being stunned prevents you from dodging and parrying attacks.

While it is true that you can't dodge or parry while stunned, that doesn't make shuffle useless. your stagger still works while stunned. The difference between taking 75% damage and taking 55% damage while stunned is very significant.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Perhaps I've exaggerated there; however, the Chi that could have been spent on Blackout Kicks would generally be better spent on Guard and Chi Wave when there is a predictable stun. Chi Wave continues to heal you up to three times (not counting the initial heal). Usually, there won't be a situation where a 20% stagger difference would outweigh those three heals from Chi Wave when there are predictable stuns with ongoing damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Good points. Thank you for the comments. I usually try and save guard, but I guess I can try and use it on cd rather than saving it and see how it goes.

edit: While keeping shuffle up most of time of course and not worry as much about banking it too much.
Edited by Pandamônium on 10/9/2012 6:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Perhaps I've exaggerated there; however, the Chi that could have been spent on Blackout Kicks would generally be better spent on Guard and Chi Wave when there is a predictable stun. Chi Wave continues to heal you up to three times (not counting the initial heal). Usually, there won't be a situation where a 20% stagger difference would outweigh those three heals from Chi Wave when there are predictable stuns with ongoing damage.

I would have to disagree again. When you're not stunned and able to dodge parry, you have an extra ~30% avoidance or so available that isn't available when you're stunned. That means you're going to be taking 30% more damage (on average), having 20% of that damage delayed will certainly help to stop some of the spike you're going to see when you're stunned.

I try to keep shuffle and guard up as often as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I generally just keep shuffle around 10-12 seconds unless it's a fight I know there's no transitioning. That allows me to send more time with other cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just tanked mog palace (first time tanking) and the healer said I was easy to heal. I know I have a lot of areas I will need to improve but I think I was able to get an okay start with my rotation. Thank you to those who contributed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]