Low FPS/Performance Issues [formerly @known issues (10/8) update]

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
I don't believe I had been using sleep mode before that. The problem actually fixed itself for a few days, I was able to play again at my regular framerate, but now as of a few hours ago, it went back to 10-14 fps. Is there a way to check and see if my mac is using the correct graphics card or something?

10/15/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Omegal

Pretty much this exactly. Except i was getting 60-80 fps and now it's 22-26

Did you use sleep mode AT ALL? if so, did you reboot before trying wow again? this is a pretty critical bug in OS X you have to rule out before looking at wow
19 Gnome Rogue
1. estimation 10/15/12
2. All modes
3. 2-7 fps currently - I used to get 30-60fps
4. Immediately when starting the game
5. Have you've done all the steps - Yes
6. Please post a copy of your config.wtf file - http://pastebin.com/gv39xDps
7. both

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32
Serial Number (system): C02HWSSBDKQ1
Hardware UUID: 97B249BC-48DC-56BD-86EB-25B5C2D2F35F
90 Pandaren Monk
http://pastebin.com/caS5Vjz9 is my support info

1. it started around the same time as everyone elses issues
2. all modes
3. fps is the average
4. immediately when starting the game
5 yes, ive done all the steps
6. see above
7. both

only difference between myself and others , is im not on a laptop / not using a retina display

edit : i left out the step for deleting the interface option, so i did that, and now its worse, its constantly trying to re download the interface file, but its staying at 0% , and now the game is totally not playable because the bandwidth is staying around 0-2
Edited by Spinlee on 10/23/2012 1:01 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Any update on this? I got absolutely hammered on Elegon tonight, burn phase was 1 fps on 'Fair' with particle density set to 'Low'. I have never had WoW play like a stop-motion movie for me before. Going to set up WoW on Bootcamp and see if it's better.
90 Orc Warrior
Would love to see some blue feedback on this, the issue is having a major impact on performance of a lot of players. At least confirmation you've been able to reproduce it would be great. ty
90 Human Paladin
Yes same crap is happening to me, Macbook Pro i5. Its was running on High settings in Cata, now im on low with 20fps, i try fair sometimes and its unplayable, really frustrating knowing that I could run ultra with 30fps.
90 Human Rogue
Reseting the SMC always seems to have a positive effect for me when I run in frame rate issues, almost always after an OS update since installing Mac OS X Mountain Lion. If you haven't try that, check it out. It don't think it can make things worse.
90 Human Warlock
I've noticed in the last 24 hours that the situation with my system has gotten FAR worse. While the ingame system says I'm getting 20-40fps, it's running like a stop-motion movie. It's realistically a couple frames a second at best. It's worse in Pandaria but not exclusive to. A restart helped (likely being caused by the sleep issue, but I'm not really sure as it's not consistant with my laptop.) Resetting the SMC helped temporarily, I think...may have just been the reboot. Didn't seem to make much of a difference, honestly.

1. When did this issue first start? (date or estimation of date if possible)
Within 10 days of MoP release
2. Does the low FPS persist in Windowed, Fullscreen and Windowed mode?
All three
3. What FPS are you experiencing in-game when this happens?
Between 10-40, though at points, it SAYS it's in the 30s but I'm realistically getting a couple frames a second.
4. When does the low FPS start? (immediately when starting the game, after 'X' time of gameplay, etc)
Varies, mostly depending on my gameplay. It happens more quickly if I'm heading straight into dailies than if I'm just milling around a city. I tend to notice it starts typically around the time the fans really start working.
5. Have you've done all the steps (including playtest with no addons installed) from our World of Warcraft Low Performance (Mac) support article?
Absolutely.

6. http://pastebin.com/mJWvSitY

And finally...

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 36 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Edited by Adrazel on 10/25/2012 10:05 AM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
I just wanted to come here and say, that after an SMC reset, and updating all my addons, I am now at 60fps, with some custom settings.
Support Forum Agent
10/25/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Morbo
I just wanted to come here and say, that after an SMC reset, and updating all my addons, I am now at 60fps, with some custom settings.

Thanks. We noticed it too from all these reports that resetting the SMC fixes most issues, but some people have to do it from time to time. We're researching this and will see what is going on.

For others, if you have not done the SMC reset, please try it to see if it fixes the issue for now:

Resetting the SMC
Thanks. We noticed it too from all these reports that resetting the SMC fixes most issues, but some people have to do it from time to time. We're researching this and will see what is going on.

For others, if you have not done the SMC reset, please try it to see if it fixes the issue for now:

Resetting the SMC
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

I've done this, and it doesn't work. I am only able to play with a somewhat stable FPS (fluctuates every few seconds between 48 and 30) if I have my resolution set about 4 settings below what my computer can handle, and every setting either on low or disabled. If I try to do any better than these settings my FPS fluctuates every couple of seconds between 58 and 9, so it's absolutely unplayable. I am very unimpressed that I can't experience this game the way it was meant to be experienced, and after playing since very early after vanilla launched, I am at the point where I'm considering if my monthly subscription could be better spent elsewhere. I'm really very unhappy that an actual resolution hasn't been provided yet. I've tried every suggestion that's been put forward in this thread and nothing has helped. My specs and info are posted on the first page of this thread.
Edited by Jenyala on 10/25/2012 4:08 PM PDT
90 Worgen Hunter
1. Problem started immediately after I installed Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro Retina (15").
2. Problem persists in all modes.
3. FPS is dropping as low as 9. Sometimes at off hours (early in the day, pacific time) I can still see FPS above 40.
4. Low FPS shows up as soon as I log in during peak hours.
5. I have done all the steps recommended.
6.http://pastebin.com/nHj0qSXy
7. I don't know how to switch between 32 and 64 bit clients.
+++++

Software:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 11 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
90 Orc Warrior
10/25/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Machkhan

Resetting the SMC
  • http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't

I notice that after my laptop sleeps a few times the frame rate will drop. Maybe its just OSX, not sure how to get in touch with apple to let them know about the problem :(.
90 Night Elf Druid
1. I really started noticing it here these last couple of weeks.

2. Any mode. The system is really laggy when I am tabbed out

3. I have an older computer. The best I get is about 20-30 but now I just at about 10 down to 2-3 when its bad.

4. I just did all the steps. When to SW and back to Jade Forest. Got 4fps at the portal in Jade Forest at 6:00am server time.

5. yes

6. http://pastebin.com/erA5dyHz

7. both but I play in 32 bit

8. SMC Reset was yesterday. No difference.

Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63b)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 15:04

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: HVDQA00265
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Canadian
90 Pandaren Monk
reseting the SMC does not work for me, and the game is now only "playable" now if i have the resolution set to the absolute lowest possible, and all other graphics dumbed down. With that in mind, i get around 13 FPS average in lower populated zones. 6 in more dense, i cant move in dalaran, and stormwind is a little painfull to get around in. Makes me kinda wish for the days for when portal people had portals up to all the major capitals, and not just SW lol.
90 Pandaren Monk
and to add to it, i was trying to install windows 8 via bootcamp and snow leopard this weekend (yeah dont try it , its a bad idea) and it basically caused me to have to do a full system restore, so the OS and WoW are fresh lol
21 Gnome Warlock
I was having this issue as well. After disabling all my addons, my FPS resumed its normal 30-40 FPS. It's worth a shot if you haven't already tried.
90 Orc Warrior
Running on Bootcamp / Windows XP SP3 now on my Macbook Pro (2010) and the performance is a vast improvement. Settings are now on Good-High and I'm bumping up against my 50fps cap (to prevent laptop overheating). Liquid detail I have on fair since that seems to have a significant drag on performance. Still have all my add-ons. All in all a huge improvement.
90 Pandaren Monk
yeah did that already mugget :-/ i actually went as far as un installing my add ons and my add on manager
90 Orc Death Knight

Resetting the SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

This worked for my son's 2009 iMac. My son's iMac was averaging about 25- 30 fps. After doing the SMC reset, the FPS went up to 48 FPS. I basically had to shut the iMac down, unplug the power cord, wait fifteen seconds, then restart. I'm not sure if I will have to do the SMC reset every few days or not. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]