Low FPS/Performance Issues [formerly @known issues (10/8) update]

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
this may help, i have two graphics cards for video editing, and i was using an nvidia 7300 primarily, switched to the ati 1900 on a whim and my fps jumped up to 60+ fps so maybe its an issue with nvidia cards? though it is weird because ole faithfull nivida card has never given me any problems
15 Pandaren Monk
I do not believe it is an nvidia issue as my imac is using an ati.

Im not saying that it couldnt be something on the apple side of things but from what I remember I had 2 good days of playing after installing mist and the next evening I logged in without any patches from either wow or apple and the fps issues started.

I cant believe its been almost a month and still no fix

I have tried everything

and to top that my mac was in the shop for a hard drive replacement so a fresh copy of wow on a freshly installed OS on a new drive and still the same problem
90 Human Warlock
I think it's been pretty well established by people running Windows via Bootcamp that it's an issue between WoW and OS X.

I am curious if there has been any progress made by Blizz on this. I've had to forego dailies on several occasions as even on the lowest graphics settings, twitching my way through Lotus dailies is rather deadly (and frustrating.)
15 Pandaren Monk
thats nice. I will wait to hear from blizzard on the matter. as of now my account is canceled. I dont subscribe to the pay to not play.
90 Night Elf Rogue
I've opened multiple tickets now asking if we will be reimbursed for the amount of time that we haven't been able to play, and I am still getting responses that I can simply 'troubleshoot' my way through the issue.

Blizz - 9fps on low settings is not something that troubleshooting can magically fix.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am that this issue seems to be getting swept under the rug? At this point I have been charged for a month that has been impossible to play. What's up with that, Blizzard? Can we get a blue in here on this?
15 Pandaren Monk
I agree Kuznetzov. I consider myself to be very understanding. over my many years of playing I have helped people try to fix problems and explained to them that its a very big game and sometimes there just isnt an easy fix but I do feel like this one is not getting the attention it needs. nor do I feel blizzard is doing anything in its power to make me feel like a valued customer. correction. just a customer.
90 Human Paladin
I'm having this same problem on a late 2009 MBP. I took a break from playing a while ago, and then Pandaria came out, so I upgraded. There's no longer the consistency of performance that I used to get (usually around 40-60fps). I've tried everything in this thread (as well as others). Sometimes it'll work okay on the recommended settings, sometimes it'll work okay on the lowest settings. Most of the time, though, it's around 9fps, and literally giving me headaches.
90 Pandaren Monk
i hate to toot the horn of another company, but SoE , with all its many flaws, whenever there was a major issue like this, did give game time re imbursements. I played the Mac Version of Everquest for years, and that was their one major perk. that and on major issues they listened to the community.

I will say this, in the blizzard defense, this seems to be a hard bug to pin down and squash since its not effecting all computers the same. Some people see improvements with some basic troubleshooting, some , not all. I saw it with using my back up graphics card (havent logged in yet today so that has yet to be seen). So it is a bit tricky. So pardon the progrress as they say.

But , I do agree, as someone who had a very very poor experience for around a month, a month off the ole bill would be nice way of saying , sorry things got messed up and your gaming experience wasnt what you paid for. And to siphon out windows/mac users , im sure they have some kind of tracking program for what clients are being used or who downloads what. Id be very surprised if blizzard didnt pay attention to those numbers.
90 Human Paladin
bump, any word on a fix?
I feel like this problem is getting worse. Last week with all settings on low and/or disabled I managed a somewhat consistent and playable (I use that term loosely) FPS. I've logged in twice in the past week for about an hour each time and with the exact same settings the fluctuations down to unplayable single digit FPS values the game has been frustratingly choppy. As I've stated before, my specs are listed on the first page of this thread - it's now been almost a month since I posted them. My patience is seriously starting to wear thin.
Edited by Jenyala on 11/3/2012 7:45 AM PDT
36 Pandaren Hunter
yeah , not digging using my ati card, i rememebered why i forgot about it, it runs way hotter than my nvidia, and louder, the fan is so obnoxious on it. I miss using my nvidia card to play wow
90 Blood Elf Priest
So I just got off the phone with tech support and they told me it is a known issue. Also said to put my info on this forum to help out. So here goes nothing.

1. When did this issue first start?
- About a 3-4 days ago
2. Does the low FPS persist in Windowed, Fullscreen and Windowed mode?
- Full windowed and windowed as well
3. What FPS are you experiencing in-game when this happens?
-Around 2-11 fps
4. When does the low FPS start? (immediately when starting the game, after 'X' time of gameplay, etc)
- Immediately when the game starts
5. Have you've done all the steps (including playtest with no addons installed) from our World of Warcraft Low Performance (Mac) support article?
- Yes
6. Please post a copy of your config.wtf file on http://pastebin.com/ and link the url here. The config.wtf file is located in /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF. This can be opened with TextEdit.
- http://pastebin.com/pn08WiS2
7. Does this happen on the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both clients?
- Both

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 1:16

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Canadian
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
10-20 FPS with all settings on low. Installed Windows 7 on my MBP (late 2009) via Boot Camp last night and am now running some settings on high, some on good, but none on low and am now getting 45 fps minimum.
90 Pandaren Monk
bump , any word on this blues?
90 Night Elf Rogue
It has been well over a month now since I was last able to log in and do more than walk from the flight master to a quest giver.
I can't believe this is the type of service I'm getting from a game I have been paying to play for years.
15 Pandaren Monk
got a text from a friend a couple days ago claiming they had fixed the problem. I have a trial account and got on that to check things out.

I had to text him back letting him know that it was in fact not fixed.

I can not believe the lack of quality and concern for people that have been loyal customers for years.

I was an officer.

I was a raider.

I was in a pvp group.

I handled the guild bank.

took care of stocking and auctions.

I had many guild members numbers so that I could be reached if needed.

I managed our guild site.

I was in change of vent.

well not anymore thanks to this issue that has gone on far longer than it should
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
echoing my post here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004013056#9

1. Using sleep mode at all on 10.7 or 10.8 will make fps terrible. restarting is only way to fix it. this is an apple bug and blizz can do nothing about it. (this is number one cause of fps complaints)
2. SMC can become corrupt and cause low fps after installing 10.8.2 or firmware updates released around same time. SMC reset fixes this issue.
3. The kepler video drivers for macbook pro retina are actually pretty old and crappy in shipping version o 10.7.5 or 10.8.2 the first retina macbook pros are running. If you know what you're doing, you can install much newer ones from either nvidia or the special 10.8.2 update released for the new imacs that have much newer and better kepler drivers. This is for advanced users only as if you do it wrong you can render system unbootable. These drivers should show a considerable increase in performance. 10.8.3 will probably also include them and resolve number 3 for all of you at least.

Number 3 now has a semi fix available here
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609
15 Pandaren Monk
Sorry Omegal but I have tried all of the above and still have the issue

I am still waiting on an official post and thats all any of us really want. regardless whether it is blizzard or apple
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Sorry Omegal but I have tried all of the above and still have the issue

I am still waiting on an official post and thats all any of us really want. regardless whether it is blizzard or apple

i'm not saying there aren't issues affecting others not on that list. I just know a LOT of the reports on forums right now are those 3 issues. Some even outright admit it with posts like "i can reproduce the issue by closing laptop lid then playing wow"......yeah, of course you can, cause that will certainly lower fps by like 70% thanks to apples lovely opengl bug. that particular issue is all apple, but easy to avoid. I just try to keep people informed of at least the avoidable issues so the remaining posts can be filtered to only those with genuine issues. filteration is everything when it comes to diagnosis. :)
15 Pandaren Monk
your work is appreciated :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]