Alchemy Specialization

90 Blood Elf Rogue
Hi fellow Alchemists! I'm wondering what everyone opinion is right now regarding which specialization is best for us right now?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Pretty much always xmute.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Flasks aren't selling to well atm? I know servers are different, but in general what have you guys noticed?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Back when my druid was Elixir Spec, he didn't get enough procs for it to really make a difference. And that was when Frost Lotus was 200-300g. With Golden Lotus anywhere from 350 to 750 gold, and flasks selling for ~400 gold, you would need consistent procs for it to be worthwhile.

Now that the Ink Trader takes Ink of Dreams, herb prices should come down some and make potion spec a little more viable, since it seems that once again alchemists are the main source of healing mand mana potions, but turning 750g worth of Ghost Iron Bars into 1,500 gold Living Steel whether you proc with Trans Spec or not isn't important. The chance at a free 1500 (or more) is a lot better than the chance at breaking even on a flask.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/09/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Viiss
Flasks aren't selling to well atm? I know servers are different, but in general what have you guys noticed?

It's less this, and more xmute spec usually sells so much better.

Think about it this way, the living steel xmute has a one day cd. That means that if I get a proc, I'm getting 2 days worth of cd from one day's use.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Rogue
On my server, potion spec would be best. Golden Lotus' are too expensive to make elixir mastery worthwhile; the returns are abysmal. Even though flasks do sell, like I said, the returns are worse than for potions. Xmute would be nice, but everything sells below the price of a single Golden Lotus. Those things are such a pain.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Cursed
Think about it this way, the living steel xmute has a one day cd. That means that if I get a proc, I'm getting 2 days worth of cd from one day's use.

Plus, if you're making living steel from ghost iron, you get to double-dip on procs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Personally, I have alchemy on most of my alts, one is elixir, one is potion and the rest are transmutes, I feel transmute is the most valuable money wise, but having procs with your potions and elixirs are always nice. I personally recommend having more than one alchemist because of the versatility and freedom offered.
Reply Quote
You can never go wrong with transmute..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Have made about 11k on transmute alone, with only about 3-4 hours total work. :3
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
This is how I see it: It takes 6 stacks of ore to make 1 Trillium bar (which procs yielding 2 sometimes). It takes 6 trillium to make 1 living steel (which once again sometimes procs for 2). 1 stack of ore/1 Trillium = @100g. 6 Trillium (@600g) = 1 living steel. LS selling for 1k gold on my server. Roughly doubling my $. I'm selling the LS and Trillium.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
xmute.

I'll never forget when i had a 5x proc on a Cardinal Ruby back in Wrath $$$
Think I had a 3x proc on Truegold once as well
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Elixir spec now. How hard/expensive is it to switch to xmute? Elixir's don't seem to sell well enough to be worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I don't want to drop transmute off my existing alchemists, but my monk will absolutely be elixir spec. Not for actual "elixir" items, those are stupid and useless, it's for flasks. With the rarity of lotus and lack of cauldrons, flask consumption is going to be pretty high in MoP.

Switching specs is very expensive, I know for elixir mastery it takes 2 of each flask, so ~1500g.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 10/10/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Xmute. They made it VERY worth it, by having a new bar that is an unlimited xmute (trillium) Living steel is not that bad either, since it is made from THAT bar.

Its VERY expensive to switch now. You should have done it prior to 5.0.4. It was 150 gold, or something, to switch as often as you liked then.

Its cheaper than it was though. Living steel dropped from often as much as 1300 gold a bar, to 800 gold a bar plus (at least on my server.)

I think it takes 3 living steel to switch to xmute?

------------------

You would of course not be doing the xmutes that involve a golden lotus. At least you'd not be doing that yet.

In the future, that will change. I think golden lotus is one of the things that people will be getting from their farms, at level 90 with tillers faction high?

Yeah, figure 16 x mote of harmony, and one spirit of harmony gets 3 golden lotus. Eventually every character will be level 90 and doing something 16x.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/10/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Breathkeeper
I don't want to drop transmute off my existing alchemists, but my monk will absolutely be elixir spec. Not for actual "elixir" items, those are stupid and useless, it's for flasks.

LOL, I seem to have forgotten that elixir spec covers flasks too. Forget switching.

As for the elixirs themselves, they do provide a massive secondary stat bonus, which can be very nice for undergeared specs. They may not sell well, but for personal consumption they can outperform our normal flask with mixology bonuses. 990 crit/haste/hit/mastery battle elixir + 5% additional phys dr reduction from armor/guardian elixir for 2 hours is quite nice.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
To be fair, using elixirs are pretty freakin' good for most tanks, but only because they can benefit from both offensive (mastery/expertise) and defensive ones. It's just the cost and hassle of lugging them around.

For DPS and healers, flasks are always better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
xmute.

I'll never forget when i had a 5x proc on a Cardinal Ruby back in Wrath $$$
Think I had a 3x proc on Truegold once as well

I had a 5 proc on Trillium, then a 2 proc, and another 2 proc. Was fun.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
way back when i learned elixir spec, was when you made flask you made 2 with mats & would get x2, x4, x6 & very rare x8.

then they changed alchemy to only 1 flasks & procs havent been the same since.

so i would say xmute

thinkin about swithin myself
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I bought enough ghost iron bars to xmute 2 trillium but proced and got 6, so I went to make a living steel and got 2. So for 300g I got 2 living steel yay transmute!!!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]