Can fire mages get dispel protection please

90 Undead Mage
We all know that spell steal, purge, icy touch glyph, and dispel can be spammed. Icy touch to a lesser extent.

It sure is fun getting a pyro proc or heating up and have it dispelled.

This crap ruined locks and shadow priests until they got protection, now it is ruining fire mages. We need something to help us keep our only damage going. (and yes its our only damage)

We have to stack the buffs up, get in melee range, nova, deep freeze, then use them. By that time all buffs should be gone from purge. If we use them as soon as we get our buffs, we do no pressure. I tested this on my resto druid partner, a single rejuvenation is enough to counter me spamming procs without the setup of deep freeze.

This isn't even taking in consideration that combustion can be dispelled.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
If you don't think its a problem, duel a class that has a dispel. Have them do nothing but dispel your procs. See how much damage you can do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/09/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Rectalbeam
If you don't think its a problem, duel a class that has a dispel. Have them do nothing but dispel your procs. See how much damage you can do.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but here's what some fire mages do in arenas/duels to deal with the dispel problem.

• Blanket counterspell healer immediately after Combustion to prevent dispel.
  • CC healer (poly, fear, trap, stun, etc) during Combustion to prevent them from dispelling the DoTs.
  • In duels, you can Dragon's breath healers while combustion ticks away, and DB won't break on DoTs. You can abuse this by chaining the stun from Combustion into the disorient from Dragon's Breath into a Ring of Frost off of that Breath, into a Deep Freeze off of that Ring, and then Counterspell after that Deep Freeze.
  • Spreading Combustion using Inferno Blast means that the Combustion will be on at least two people, and now that Dispel has a cooldown, at least 1 target will be stuck with the Combust DoT eating away their health.
Edited by Eluss on 10/9/2012 5:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
shut the heck up u are too op dont ask for any more buffs u ungrateful child
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/09/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Eluss

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but here's what some fire mages do in arenas/duels to deal with the dispel problem.

• Blanket counterspell healer immediately after Combustion to prevent dispel.
  • CC healer (poly, fear, trap, stun, etc) during Combustion to prevent them from dispelling the DoTs.
  • In duels, you can Dragon's breath healers while combustion ticks away, and DB won't break on DoTs. You can abuse this by chaining the stun from Combustion into the disorient from Dragon's Breath into a Ring of Frost off of that Breath, into a Deep Freeze off of that Ring, and then Counterspell after that Deep Freeze.
  • Spreading Combustion using Inferno Blast means that the Combustion will be on at least two people, and now that Dispel has a cooldown, at least 1 target will be stuck with the Combust DoT eating away their health.

Not worried about combustion being dispelled, worried about my instant pyro / heating up procs being dispelled.

If you use combustion before deep freeze pyro spam combo it does no damage so I would never open with it unless i get a blessing from the rng gods and happen to crit at least 2 pyros in a row without a frozen target.

Against a level 70 target dummy with no resilience if i combust off of 1 pyro that doesn't crit it ticks for 5k. 8k if it crits. To put that in perspective, thats less than feral druid bleeds in cata. Aside from using it as a CC, combustion is useless without 2 crit pyros...which only happens in deep freeze.

This topic is about my procs, not my combustion. Stay on topic.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/09/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Peenkay

Mages are not OP at the moment, we got nerfed pretty hard. We are BG heroes and blow up unsuspecting noobs with crap gear and no trinket. In arena as frost our damage is predictable and relies on frost bomb + deep freeze combo. Against the current OP classes, it is impossible to cast a frost bomb. If you get a frost bomb off it is dispelled. A mage can detonate one frost bomb every 13-14 seconds depending on haste if free casting. Dispel is an 8 second cooldown. Do the math. We realistically get about 1 frost bomb off every 20-30 seconds because of being trained. That is 3-4 dispel cooldowns between casts.

I realize rogues got nerfed to hell and are terrible now, but you should be on your forums giving suggestions on how to improve it instead of being bitter and attacking other class's forums. Go to the warrior forums and look for any post that I made on it....there won't be any. I am offering suggestions to my own class; not being bitter that they can not only 2 shot me, they can lock me out from casting for an entire arena game.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Not worried about combustion being dispelled, worried about my instant pyro / heating up procs being dispelled.

If you use combustion before deep freeze pyro spam combo it does no damage so I would never open with it unless i get a blessing from the rng gods and happen to crit at least 2 pyros in a row without a frozen target.

Against a level 70 target dummy with no resilience if i combust off of 1 pyro that doesn't crit it ticks for 5k. 8k if it crits. To put that in perspective, thats less than feral druid bleeds in cata. Aside from using it as a CC, combustion is useless without 2 crit pyros...which only happens in deep freeze.

One of the things you can do to prevent Dispel on Heating up/Pyro is to put up other buffs to prevent that dispel. I use slow fall and ice barrier, which decreases the chance that Heating up will be dispelled.

A good combo with combustion to alleviate the dispel problem is the following:

Nova --> Critical Scorch ---> Heating up ---> Deep ---> Critical Inferno Blast ---> Instant Critical Pyroblast --> Critical Combustion ---> Critical Pyroblast.

If done correctly, you should put up big numbers with that combo, given that you've managed to make them use their trinket prior to deep freeze.
Edited by Eluss on 10/9/2012 5:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

One of the things you can do to prevent Dispel on Heating up/Pyro is to put up other buffs to prevent that dispel. I use slow fall and ice barrier, which decreases the chance that Heating up will be dispelled.

A good combo with combustion to alleviate the dispel problem is the following:

Nova --> Critical Scorch ---> Heating up ---> Deep ---> Critical Inferno Blast ---> Instant Critical Pyroblast --> Critical Combustion ---> Critical Pyroblast.

If done correctly, you should put up big numbers with that combo, given that you've managed to make them use their trinket prior to deep freeze.

In 3s trying to nova a healer and cast scorch is too risky because If it gets dispeled / broken on damage / interrupted you cant do damage for another 25 seconds.

The only option is nova -> deep instantly with pyro and 1 heating up proc. When deeped instant pyrox2, inferno blast, instant pyro, combustion, dragons breath, blanket silence.

If you only have a pyro and no extra heating up you use nova -> deep -> alter time -> pyro -> inferno blast -> pyro -> alter time revert -> instant pyro -> combustion -> dragons breath -> blanket silence.

The big problem is I have to be in melee range as a caster to do my full potential so if I get procs then have to run to the healer / kill target and if they are across the map, that could take some time.

Another problem is if I do start my combo and lets say a Enh shaman is on me, he can effectively stop me in my tracks by spamming purge; This is assuming he didnt purge me before I started combo. Example: Pyro buff up, 1 heating up buff, nova -> deep -> instant pyro -> purge -> I now can not cast any other pyros -> I inferno blast + combustion (no global cooldown) -> get pyro buff -> I get purged before global cooldown is done on inferno blast -> I still can not cast a pyro. In the deep freeze I only achieved one pyro. That is 50k damage.

I am now completely worthless for 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/09/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Peenkay

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/18233
Edited by Spams on 10/9/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Human Warrior
10/09/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Rectalbeam

but you should be on your forums giving suggestions on how to improve it instead of being bitter and attacking other class's forums.

They did during the beta

Didn't help.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]