Looking to upgrade, need some advice

90 Human Paladin
Hi, i just recently built my PC over the summer and i am looking to upgrade, i am trying to spend around 300$ roughly.

My current specs are:

GPU: Radeon 6870 1gb
CPU: i3 2120
RAM: 8gb

I can run WoW smoothly at pretty much full settings with multisampling at 2x, i was thinking about upgrading to i5 because i can get that at a price much below my budget. So my question is, if i were to upgrade to and i5 would i notice a difference in performance overall? Or should i just wait until i can upgrade my CPU? Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If this motherboard supports Ivy Bridge, i5-3330 would be the next step up. There will be improvements in minimum FPS in cities/raids, but max FPS will not really change.

You will notice decent FPS improvement by lowering shadow to high, and ensuring you are using DirectX 11 (Vista/7).
Edited by Kalganized on 10/10/2012 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
How can i make sure i am using DirectX 11?

This is my motherboard MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Edited by Youldin on 10/10/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
WoW defaults to DirectX 11 + 64-bit client if you use Vista/7 64-bit today, but old carryover settings may not have it correct.

At the login screen, click System, then click Advanced on the left. Graphics API should say DirectX 11.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Also since you seem to know what you're talking about do you if keeping off vsync puts alot of strain on my GPU?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If your GPU is going over 60 FPS (or 120 FPS with 3D monitors), yes, it is making it work more for no real reason.

I leave VSync on in all games. IMO, it should only be disabled if:

1) Driver problem causing VSync to not work correctly (nVidia recently fixed this on 6xx series)
2) Game has a problem with VSync on (rare)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]