From Destro to Affliction

90 Troll Warlock
Alright, boys! I haven't played affliction in a looooooooooooooong time. Like.. I'm talking before haste was hardly in the game. Been Destro for yearsss. Did a bit of research about the rotation and I think I got it down. But let me just double check with y'all!

Open with DS --> CoA --> Corruption --> UA --> Malefic Grasp until a dot is almost done --> Soulburn --> Soulswap. Then just refresh haunt every 8 seconds, use DS as much as possible and Soulburn to Soulswap if I have enough shards without risking losing haunt? And then Drain Soul after 25%

And of course doomguard and trinket pop when applicable.

AM I CLOSE? I was only losing to affliction locks on DPS meters and so I wanna figure this rotation out!
Edited by Jondarbonus on 10/11/2012 5:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I'm in the same boat, just went from destro to affliction, hence all the crit gear on me now reforged to mastery lol. Workin on it, anyhow I have found this macro to be extremely useful, saves a second or two.

COE first

#showtooltip Soul Swap
/cast Soulburn
/cast Soul Swap

then haunt every time you have a SS to spare and use MG as filler. DS when the mob is below 20%, the tooltip was just changed I believe from 25% to 20%.

Refresh your dots using that same macro if you have the SS's to spare. Also keep in mind with pandemic there is zero penalty to refreshing your dot's below 50% left on their duration as long as you dont interrupt another cast to do so.

Fairly new to affliction, havent REALLY played it since the 60's, been destro since lvl 65. So if any senior affliction locks have input please chime in, would love to learn more.

My biggest learning curve is with multiple targets right now, the example I gave above is for single target dps. With multiple mobs I use the macro on all mobs until i'm down to 1 SS then I'll single target if its less than 5 mobs, remembering to DS at the death of 1 to keep refreshing all my soulshards that way I can tab target and refresh my dots on all the mobs with the macro. If theres 5 or more mobs I'll start with soulburn>seed of corruption, spreads corruption to all mobs within 15 yds when it pops, then follow the same dps pattern as mentioned before.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
... I was only losing to affliction locks on DPS meters and so I wanna figure this rotation out!

Looking at your gear I would reforge every piece of +crit to mastery.

There is controversy over whether hit>mastery or mastery>hit so thats up to you to decide. I chose mastery over hit since most of our spells are instant casts if you miss your only waiting on the global and honestly with the amount of hit actually sacrificed for mastery I havent even noticed any more misses. And there two sides to every story obviously so you'll have to choose your own path. But definitely reforge that crit.
Reply Quote
89 Human Warlock
Workin on it, anyhow I have found this macro to be extremely useful, saves a second or two.

COE first

#showtooltip Soul Swap
/cast Soulburn
/cast Soul Swap

then haunt every time you have a SS to spare and use MG as filler. DS when the mob is below 20%, the tooltip was just changed I believe from 25% to 20%.

Refresh your dots using that same macro if you have the SS's to spare.

No...that would be a waste of a soul shard... I would only use that macro in these two cases:
1. as an opening after casting demon soul to apply those dots quickly
2. to apply dots on 3-4 mobs and then use drain soul on the first one that dies and use the macro again to refresh dots on the other mobs if necessary

10/11/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Caustik
Fairly new to affliction, havent REALLY played it since the 60's, been destro since lvl 65. So if any senior affliction locks have input please chime in, would love to learn more.

FOTM rollers. /sigh
Edited by Hirod on 10/11/2012 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Workin on it, anyhow I have found this macro to be extremely useful, saves a second or two.

COE first

#showtooltip Soul Swap
/cast Soulburn
/cast Soul Swap

Refresh your dots using that same macro if you have the SS's to spare.

No...that would be a waste of a soul shard... I would only use that macro in these two cases:
1. as an opening after casting demon soul to apply those dots quickly
2. to apply dots on 3-4 mobs and then use drain soul on the first one that dies and use the macro again to refresh dots on the other mobs if necessary

You are correct, I misspoke above. I found myself recasting agony/corruption/UA at the end of MG once their durration <50%.

I would really only use that macro more than once for multiple targets or if I just replenished all my ss's from taking down adds or something during a boss.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
FOTM rollers. /sigh

I haven't respec'd since 65 man lol, I think it's time for a change. I have no intentions of going back to destro. You have to start somewhere.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Gonna bump this up!

Fell asleep after I made it haha.

So is it a bigger priority to use my shards for Haunt or Soul Burn/Swapping the dots for more MG uptime?
Edited by Jondarbonus on 10/11/2012 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
:(
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
10/11/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Caustik
Also keep in mind with pandemic there is zero penalty to refreshing your dot's below 50% left on their duration as long as you dont interrupt another cast to do so.

I've been practicing affliction and I really wished someone could confirm this.

Is it a DPS loss to clip Malefic Grasp/Drain Soul to refresh a dot or haunt? What if Haunt has just fallen off but there's 1 sec of MG to go? What if I wait till I get a shard while channeling Drain Soul and clip it right after to refresh something? I understand that Haunt/dot uptime is very important but I wasn't sure if it was going to be a DPS loss if I had to clip MG/DS mid cast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]