Just The Hunter and His Pet - Soloing Guide

(Sticky)

90 Worgen Hunter
Pet aggro has been an issue on some bosses since the changes to not needing a raid tl enter old zones.

Notable bosses for me
Twin dragons in BoT
Ascended Council in BoT
Chogoll in BoT
KJ in sunwell
Illidan in BT
First boss in Well of Eternity Heroic 5man
Archamonde in MH
Supremous in BT

I pull with MD and once it fades my first shot shoots me up to 240% threat. I FD then MD after laying there a bit to allow pet some aggro time and once it fades i grab aggro again. Its annoying. So now for those bosses i use my spirit beast for heals and i tank it. Cept for the BoT bosses, they hit too hard.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Oh and heroic hellion in ruby sanctum.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
DoD
I've never had problems with my agro, however I'm unsure about the growl. I can check up on that if you want, but I've found often the best way to handle threat is to use MD whenever it's off CD.

I've just gone through and done Hyjal, Sunwell and most of The Eye (damn Kael'thas and his stupid friggin mind control), all of the bosses aside from Brutallus were immune to growl. Glyphing MD and spamming it on your pet for those boss fights you can't tank yourself seems to be the way to go, all the regular mobs are still.. uh.. growlable though.
Edited by Rarh on 1/17/2013 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Hm. That's odd. I hope that's just a bug. Thanks for the info. At least the adds are still growlable xD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Maybe we could get a list of all solo-able raids, maybe preferred pets or even some nice vids,strats to really make this thread even more beast than it already is. Awesome Thread TY.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
01/19/2013 03:12 PMPosted by Machinima
Maybe we could get a list of all solo-able raids, maybe preferred pets or even some nice vids,strats to really make this thread even more beast than it already is. Awesome Thread TY.
I can work on a list, this seems like a very good suggestion.

As for strats, I can get around to that but that might be awhile, I'll end up putting that in the list section for some of the fights. I know stevenash does vids with explanations, and I do vids as well although I type my explanations out (I don't feel very comfortable as a speaker). There are some links near the end of the guide to some of the channels that I think people would be interested in, however if I get around to making a list section I may just end up linking specific videos with instructions for people to help them out a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions! (and the support!)
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
idk if anyone has mentioned this, but you should add a guide for each Brawler's Guild fight :D
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
02/08/2013 08:52 AMPosted by Qualk
idk if anyone has mentioned this, but you should add a guide for each Brawler's Guild fight :D
I don't think anyone has yet, but there's a good chance after next patch I'll let me sub run out. I'll be updating the guide again next patch (focusing on school and what not atm) so I haven't really been playing lately.

As I haven't done those fights yet, when I get the chance I'll learn more about them, and if I feel I know enough to right a decent section, I'll add them into the guide. I wouldn't count on that however, I don't want to give out any information I'm not entirely 100% sure on. Would be wrong (IMO).

I appreciate the input though ^_^. And I do promise to put in some more updates to this guide.
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Hunter
I just want to thank OP for this guide. Incredibly well laid-out and written. Easy to understand without it seeming condescending. It really steered me in a direction that helped me enjoy playing a hunter. Well done.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
I read over your Hunter's Pet information, however I am wondering how do I change my pet? I would like to get rid of one to get a different one. Is this possible? Also, I would like to name my pet instead of just "bear" or "dog", any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
02/14/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Duranthur
I just want to thank OP for this guide. Incredibly well laid-out and written. Easy to understand without it seeming condescending. It really steered me in a direction that helped me enjoy playing a hunter. Well done.
I really appreciate the sentiment :)

02/15/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Temprance
I read over your Hunter's Pet information, however I am wondering how do I change my pet? I would like to get rid of one to get a different one. Is this possible? Also, I would like to name my pet instead of just "bear" or "dog", any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Sure thing! If you're looking to use a different pet entirely, there should be a spell in your spellbook called Dismiss Pet, which makes your pet go away (but not permanently) and you can call another pet that you've tamed using Call Pet. As you level up, you can eventually earn up to five slots for your Call Pet ability. Also, while your pet is dismissed you'll be able to tame new pets as long as you have room in your active pet's slots (your call pet slots).

To rename your pet, right click your pet's portrait after clicking on your pet. There should be an option to rename your pet. You can also abandon your pet, which forces it to go away permanently. This is useful if you have multiples of the same species, and wish to tame a rare, or make room for something that you do not already have.

There's also your stable master in almost every town in the game. You can talk to them to keep your pets in the stables, which means you won't be able to summon them while they are in there, but you'll be able to have access to them so you won't have to abandon them for a new pet.

I hope this information helps!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
02/17/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Kizagui
Thanks lazy! :D
Glad this was helpful!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
How easy is it to solo all the old BC tier 6 content I want my gronstalkers gear and especially most of the gear from black temple!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
02/24/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Pounced
How easy is it to solo all the old BC tier 6 content I want my gronstalkers gear and especially most of the gear from black temple!
How the heck did I not notice this sooner? I apologize for taking so long to respond!

Most of the T6 content isn't too hard to solo, however there are a few choice fights that take a bit of extra effort than most (like the face boss in BT, and Teron Gorefiend).

I haven't been there in ages, although I believe you'll still need to perform special strats in order to solo them due to their mechanics (I'll find a video link, about to leave for class so I'll post back again).

Again, sorry for taking so long to respond D:
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Updated the glyph section to reflect 5.2's changes, and I've added in a small new section that will hopefully help keep all information up to date.
Reply Quote
Awesome Guide thanks for all the tips
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
THIS TITLE IS SEXIST!!! lol jk girls don't play WoW.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Good guide.

Helped me solo 25 OS3D for the mount.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]