Vanish Mutilate or Vanish Garrote?

90 Orc Rogue
With Preparation at hand....would it be better to Mutilate at a boss fight or any dungeon encounter or to garrote? I hear Mutilate does dmg..more than Garrote and adds Combo Points with Seal of Fate....but garrote and venomous wounds is good too..or is rupture better anyone know?
Reply Quote
Ambush iirc. Garrotte won't proc VW if Rupture is up, which it should be because it tics faster then garrotte, giving more VM procs.

Don't quote me on Ambush though, I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: I lied

Opening: Begin the fight with mutilate, and get rupture and slice and dice up as quickly as possible before building up to 4-5 combo-point envenoms. Ambush (paired with the subterfuge talent) may come out ahead of mutilate (paired with the shadow focus talent), but this has yet to be decided.

Mutilate > Rupture > Mutilate > Slice and Dice > Etc.
Edited by Relikar on 10/3/2012 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
Also worth noting is:

Vanish: "Allows the rogue to enter stealth while in combat." While vanish can be a minor DPS increase when paired with one of our First Tier talents (nightstalker, subterfuge, or shadow focus), its primary strength in Mists should be in utility (dropping threat, quick cheapshots, etc.).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758626681?page=1#8
Reply Quote
^This

The damage increase is VERY small.

Like honestly, using a 3 min CD to get an extra 60 energy/25% damage on one mutilate. Not worth it when you can use it to save your hide later.
Edited by Relikar on 10/3/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
So the damage from Mutilate if I vanish won't do really any damage at all

I assume it is still better if you are in the middle of a fight when you Vanish to use Mutilate than to use Garrote then rupture

Question: If I vanish and use garrote, I Won't have to use Rupture for an optimal time and I can use more Mutilates/Envenom instead.

If not, I can just Mutilate and put rupture on.

Is rupture more damage than Garrote and more proc % from VW?

Also...I don't believe we have Overkill anymore...so what is the point of even Vanishing and using Mutilate when you can just use Mutilate out of Vanish...I just see that in the talent tree *Preparation* seems to be better than the other too...Leeching Poison and something else for more damage but I wonder how...since you don't gain anything from vanishing anymore...sigh
Reply Quote
10 Goblin Rogue
10/03/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Xejvluqstzyr
I assume it is still better if you are in the middle of a fight when you Vanish to use Mutilate than to use Garrote then rupture

Yes, if you vanish in the fight (to drop threat of whatever else), it looks like it's better to reopen with mutilate.

Question: If I vanish and use garrote, I Won't have to use Rupture for an optimal time and I can use more Mutilates/Envenom instead.

If not, I can just Mutilate and put rupture on.

Is rupture more damage than Garrote and more proc % from VW?

Rupture ticks once every 2 seconds, while garrote ticks once every 3 seconds. Using rupture, instead of garrote, will give you more VW procs and more energy, because it ticks more frequently.

10/03/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Xejvluqstzyr
Also...I don't believe we have Overkill anymore...so what is the point of even Vanishing and using Mutilate when you can just use Mutilate out of Vanish...I just see that in the talent tree *Preparation* seems to be better than the other too...Leeching Poison and something else for more damage but I wonder how...since you don't gain anything from vanishing anymore...sigh

Blizz didn't like rogues using vanish as a DPS cooldown. They want us to use it for utility, rather than to boost our damage.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Last question: For Assassination....is Critical Strike Rating all really that important now with Seal of Fate adding 1 extra combo point because Haste with weapon speed and energy regain...this is concerning reforging matter along with gear....which is more of a priority....haste or crit?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
haste comes out ahead of crit by a small amount right now
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]