Geming for PvP ?

no clue what gems i should be putting into my new honor pvp gear. im currently destro/affliction. still a lil undecided on spec but if i could hear what gems might be good for both specs that woudl be great but otherwise i would like to know more bout destro. ty
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
you do know you don't need to match the gem socket color... it's just there incase you want to get the socket bonus, and most of the time that socket bonus isn't worth the trouble.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Going with Intellect in red, resil+pvp power in yellow and pvp power in blue myself.
Reply Quote
Read something on arena junkies that said that past 9.1k sp, pvp power comes out on top of intellect and at that point you want to gem for pvp power and int in a 3:1 ratio. Currently I am planning to gem as such:

red: int + pvp power (mysterious roguestone)
yellow: int + resil (willful vermilion onyx)
blue: pvp power (stormy river's heart?)

This way you can grab all the socket bonuses whilst not losing much in the way of stat priorities.

This seems to be the optimal setup from what I can see.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
^this sounds good, i was curious myself about the difference between pvp power and intel. i was planning on just gemming power and intel, but i think i will go with gnomeminds gem setup looks pretty good.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Read something on arena junkies that said that past 9.1k sp, pvp power comes out on top of intellect and at that point you want to gem for pvp power and int in a 3:1 ratio. Currently I am planning to gem as such:

This way you can grab all the socket bonuses whilst not losing much in the way of stat priorities.

Is what you read up to date? I had about 9k spell power unbuffed in my PvP gear at 85. At 90 you'll have several thousand more spell power than that in quest greens.
Reply Quote
red = int blue = pvp power yellow = int and pvp power

you dont NEED the socket bonus if its pvp resil but if its power you should def grab it
Reply Quote

Is what you read up to date? I had about 9k spell power unbuffed in my PvP gear at 85. At 90 you'll have several thousand more spell power than that in quest greens.

Yes its correct, the stat priorities are calculated by graphing them or by figuring out the critical points from the derived functions, and based off that 9k is the point at which pvp power becomes better than intellect, meaning for all pvp at level 90, you will be favoring pvp power. The reason why I mentioned the spell power cutoff was because many individuals might be pvping at lower levels than 90 and at which they wouldnt have 9k sp, meaning the priority would differ.

10/04/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Psyops
^ This is correct. Also, Haste is superior to Mastery for PvP. Crit is, too, apparently, for Affliction (going off of what Noxxic says.)

I dont advocate the use of noxxic much or even like the site (due to the fact that most of what they post is inherently wrong and oversimplified), but the fact that EJ says that mastery=haste does point to the conclusion that haste, at least for pvp, would be better than mastery seeing as they are equal, and haste would directly effect casting speed, thus reducing the chances of getting kicked and thus getting more casts off. I am not so sure about the crit being better than mastery, mastery directly ups the dmg of our dots which is a flat increase. I dont think crit would be that good for affliction unless something has drastically changed regarding dots from cata to mop.
Edited by Chin on 10/5/2012 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I'm going to swap out. I'm going to try that Chin ty. I've been noticing that my damage is lacking and was underestimating the importance of pvp power and resil.

Edit..I really should learn to read.
Edited by Malvoiant on 10/5/2012 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm going to swap out. I'm going to try that Chin ty. I've been noticing that my damage is lacking and was underestimating the importance of pvp power and resil.

Edit..I really should learn to read.

There is no clear consensus as to secondary values (which is what I think blizzard wanted when they said they were going to try and stop the cookie cutter builds and gear setups OR it could be just that we dont have enough data yet). From what I can see, or am proven otherwise, mastery=haste > crit for affliction (in terms of secondary stats, not counting pvp power/resil). And as I already said, if haste=mastery then haste might be prefered due to faster casts? Or maybe a half and half build for optimal dmg? or even full mastery for large ticks seeing as MG points to the fact that our single target dmg would be substantially higher in mop. Without looking at numbers we really cant tell for sure, if it is haste = mastery then perhaps we need to find the caps for each when one becomes better than the other.

And of course as individuals start to get the conquest gear, this might all change again as there will be more secondary stats for reforge around leading maybe a new optimal secondary stat build, since we'll have more stats to play around with after reaching the hit cap as to reach another dot tick...
Edited by Chin on 10/5/2012 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think the haste vs mastery argument will get easier once we know the haste thresholds for extra ticks on each dot. Has anyone calculated those yet?
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Meowmix
I think the haste vs mastery argument will get easier once we know the haste thresholds for extra ticks on each dot. Has anyone calculated those yet?

Yea this was what I was talking about in my previous post, with two stats being on par, we cant optimally reforge without knowing the points at which we get extra ticks via haste. These values will not change however we will be reforging differently for the honor gear and the conquest gear seeing as conquest gear will have more stats to play around with, and seeing as for the next couple weeks players will likely be in limbo with half honor and half conquest, its not practical to focus on haste thesholds as you would have to reforge all of your gear every week after getting a new piece. For now, until everyone gets full conquest gear, you're better off just not trying to optimize haste vs mastery and just focus on prioritizing one or the other or both (which is the current debate).
Edited by Chin on 10/5/2012 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I try to be a very aggressive player so I go with intellect > pvp power > mastery > pvp resilience > haste > crit.

Feel free to switch mastery and pvp resilience if you are a defensive demonology warlock.
Reply Quote
I try to be a very aggressive player so I go with intellect > pvp power > mastery > pvp resilience > haste > crit.

Feel free to switch mastery and pvp resilience if you are a defensive demonology warlock.

While this is true for demo, I dont understand why you go with int > pvp power, when pvp power is clearly pulling ahead, and there is no arguement for the passive crit increase from int seeing as you're rating crit as the worst secondary stat for demo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]