Upcoming Reputation Changes

(Locked)

90 Troll Warrior
I like the alts part getting double rep but don't understand the point of making reputation double between revered and exalted. Isnt this essentially the same as lowering the amount of reputation needed to become exalted? Doesn't this just kind of invalidate the steps of raising from one reputation level to another?

/shrug

Isn't this the same thing as the XP adjustments they make with every release except they applying it at the end of the curve instead of the beginning? The bottom line is that this change puts the current content more in line from a total rep availability standpoint with recent expansions - MoP still has the most rep to grind since TBC even after this change.

It's the same as progressive raid nerfs as well, except applied at the beginning instead of at the end. It even applies to all future reputations.

Also, this change affects TBC reputations, so of course MoP would still have more rep to grind after the change. :P

I don't think it really matters which expansion has the most/least reputation, though. I see it as more content, which is good. MoP reputations aren't as important as previous expansions as well (sorta...wtf is with Cloud Serpent flying, gated reputations, and VP gear :|).
Edited by Sabatieni on 10/5/2012 12:06 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
I'm getting tired of doing dailies for a couple of hours every day in MoP to be honest, but I think for a main character (or one character) please leave the reputation grind from Revered to Exalted as it is.

Doubling reputation gains for that main character when that main character in Revered seems to cheapen the context of what reputation is, especially after the amount of time that has been put in by the player to achieve that status.

Now, with that being said, for alt characters I think it is a great idea. Once you've hit Revered/Exalted with a faction on the main character, by all means, yes the alt should get a 50% increase in reputation gained.

It is a very good idea, but needs just a tweak in its refinement.
Edited by Myshella on 10/5/2012 12:28 PM PDT
80 Gnome Mage
Dont mean to be the negatively nelly here but why on earth would anyone want to soul crushingly grind daily's for Rep on their main and then turn around and do the same daily on 5 different alts regardless of boosted Rep

This is a half !@# attempt to bandage a problem that requires more development time and work to solve.

The true fix for this should be:

If you did the soul crushing grind on your main then your entire B.net acct should have Rev/Exalted across all toons of the same account. So once I do daily's on one toon I never have to do them again.

This change is worthless and i'm shocked that so many morons are happy about it.

Surely you've been around long enough to realize that whatever ridiculousness Blizzard throws out will be lapped up by way too many.

The contradictions are what drive me crazy and nobody seems to be bothered that the same company that freed us up from "daily dungeons" to a weekly cap has reverted back to a play every day mentality.

The same company that got rid of head enchants because rep grinds were bad just released an expac that backtracked on rep gain methods that have been in place since TBC.

And now after more than halving the rep per daily quest, they "generously" offer to double part of it everyone is overjoyed.

Seriously people. It's a content stretching time sucking scam. Nothing more and if you make it clear you won't put up with it, they'll drop it.
100 Worgen Hunter
1) If you enjoy the grind, you enjoy the grind. People enjoy grinding reps and leveling because they enjoy being rewarded for the "effort." They don't actually enjoy the act. If they did, they would in face continue grinding after. Hell, even if you're delusional enough to actually believe you're enjoying the process (and not just the result), simply grind it out on a second character. Tadah, still being rewarded as you go and takes even longer!

I enjoy the system; the grind and rewards go hand-in-hand. Some people only enjoy the rewards, and that's who Blizzard is catering to with this change.

Raiders don't raid the same instance ad infinitum. They enjoy the act of raiding and the rewards, but once they've exhausted the content, they get bored and look forward to the next one.

2) It can't reduce the accomplishment if getting exalted isn't an accomplishment.

It's not an accomplishment to you. It is an accomplishment to me. Your opinion is not a fact.

3) Those aren't at all what you're talking about (except the fishing one, which should also be implemented). Those things are actual challenges (maybe not much of a challenge, it is an RPG, but still, they require a brain). Grinding reps does not. It literally only requires time and the "skill" of not giving up when bored out of your mind. If being a better player helped you grind rep significantly faster, that'd be a cool solution, too, but it doesn't.

Reps require dedication. If they weren't a challenge people wouldn't be complaining about how long they take. Games can be challenging in many different ways, but none of them appeal to everybody. The wonderful thing about World of Warcraft is that they don't have to - there's enough different challenges for everybody.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you can't be wrong. You can be of the opinion that there's anything difficult about rep grinds or anything impressive about achieving exalted all you want, but it doesn't make it the truth. There's no difficulty whatsoever, unless you think overcoming tedium and boredom is a skill (hint: it's not).

And again. If you like the grind, keep grinding. In what way is the grind suddenly less fun because your rep bar no longer moves? The mobs and dailies are still EXACTLY the same. You're quite literally doing the same thing. It's like saying that tennis is only fun when the sky is a slightly overcast shade of grayish blue and not when it's just a normal clear blue. It's completely irrelevant to the activity itself.

Literally the only "reason" to oppose making grinds faster is because you have a pathetic amount of free time and don't want everyone to have the same rewards as you, beacuse it magically (delusionally) makes you less happy with your rewards.
Edited by Peverell on 10/5/2012 1:27 PM PDT
90 Troll Warrior

I enjoy the system; the grind and rewards go hand-in-hand. Some people only enjoy the rewards, and that's who Blizzard is catering to with this change.

Raiders don't raid the same instance ad infinitum. They enjoy the act of raiding and the rewards, but once they've exhausted the content, they get bored and look forward to the next one.

It's not an accomplishment to you. It is an accomplishment to me. Your opinion is not a fact.

Reps require dedication. If they weren't a challenge people wouldn't be complaining about how long they take. Games can be challenging in many different ways, but none of them appeal to everybody. The wonderful thing about World of Warcraft is that they don't have to - there's enough different challenges for everybody.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you can't be wrong. You can be of the opinion that there's anything difficult about rep grinds or anything impressive about achieving exalted all you want, but it doesn't make it the truth. There's no difficulty whatsoever, unless you think overcoming tedium and boredom is a skill (hint: it's not).

And again. If you like the grind, keep grinding. In what way is the grind suddenly less fun because your rep bar no longer moves? The mobs and dailies are still EXACTLY the same. You're quite literally doing the same thing. It's like saying that tennis is only fun when the sky is a slightly overcast shade of grayish blue and not when it's just a normal clear blue. It's completely irrelevant to the activity itself.

Literally the only "reason" to oppose making grinds faster is because you have a pathetic amount of free time and don't want everyone to have the same rewards as you, beacuse it magically (delusionally) makes you less happy with your rewards.

"You don't enjoy the same things I enjoy, therefore you are delusional."

If this will continue being the summary of your argument, don't bother.
Edited by Sabatieni on 10/5/2012 1:47 PM PDT
This change, while good still leaves people like me in the mud. I hate dailies, I will never do dailies at all. We should be given OPTIONS. I for one want rep tabards back or able to get into dungeons and gain rep in those dungeons like BC.

Requiring dailies is not something that wil keep, at least me, playing at all. Ill stick to my plan of canceling my sub when all 6 character I have hit 90, instead of sitting there doing dailies on them, no matter how short or long it takes.

I don't care if I could get to exalted in one day in every pandaria faction on every character. If it requires dailies, count me out 100%.

I do hope blizzard adds options for us instead of forcing us in the only direction to gain rep, dailies.

I would rather be playing World of Optionscraft then World of Dailiescraft.
Edited by Madmartigan on 10/5/2012 2:11 PM PDT
90 Goblin Shaman
why not just make rep Account wide like mounts and achieves?
90 Undead Priest
woot ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty ty
90 Draenei Shaman
Should never have to faction grind more than once per account, IMO.

I think the exalted changes are unnecessary.
19 Gnome Priest
I'd rather have faction gear as BoA. Doesn't have to be all faction gear/items, just some.
Not even one blue post about the issue's many like me are still having. I hope they look at them.
90 Human Paladin
whats the point of making it so complicated?
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Being an alt-aholic, I am glad to see this change. It's not quite what I was hoping for though. I really wanted to see a more dynamic bonus system, something like for every toon you get to exalted for a specific rep, all the other toons get a 50% bonus to the rep they earn for that faction. I mean, double rep is great, but by the time I get to my 12th or 13th alt (by the end of this xpac i should have 14 max level toons), it is still going to seem like a huge grind (which is why in the past I usually give up after my 3rd or 4th alt). A more dynamic bonus system would make me at least think about trying to do rep on my deep alts.
90 Tauren Paladin
You want a fluid transition for all who have switched "mains" so you make achievements/pets/mounts account-wide. However, what Blizzard is telling me is, in order to get "70 Reputations to Exalted" ACHIEVEMENT, I have to go back to my old main and grind that achievement, even though achievements are account-wide.

No, wait, now you're telling me I can partially attain them on my new main, but will still have to grind. What about people who have Exalted Scale of the Sands and Avengers of Hyjal? Do they really have to find people to pair up with to run Battle of Hyjal and Firelands to get from Revered to Exalted?

If people who are OCD about achievements/pets/mounts hadn't complained in the first place, account-wide wouldn't exist. You don't want people to have it easy, but make things easier all the time. Making reputations account-wide does not make the game easier because it's really not a big deal if my JC or Tailor can get recipes from the Wyrmrest Accord/Consortium/any-old-world-rep vendor that my Exalted Alchemist could not.

Why can't old-world reputations be account-wide? We appreciate the hard work you've done, but you should appreciate ours too.
1 Tauren Druid
dislike the change, stop handing everyoneone everything blizz, if they dont want to "work "towards it ,they dont derserve it.this feed casuals, and lazy folks.sure its doesnt make wow harder, but i loved the grind, .revered to exalted 2x as fast? whas the point then? whats the point of rep period?i have a 90 now, give me 10 more at log in please.see how dumb that sounds?this generation of gamers has forced blizz's hand to continue to "water down" there game.argue all you like but its damn true...................

people will never get that alts should be looked at as seperate entities, thier own individuals,who should have to do their own work (again)for things.the new rep changes caters to people who dont have the initiative to do the "work" again.pretty soon you wont have to level characters anymore after you leveld one.the game is totally headed that way.slowly.

further "dilution" of the game continues, start passing out binks to people at game purchase too why dont you blizz? ugh
Edited by Corz on 10/5/2012 5:58 PM PDT
Community Manager
There has been a lot of great feedback and thanks to everyone who has posted. For the past couple days, I've been reading what you've shared and working with our developers to address some of your concerns and suggestions, so let's get started:

A few of you asked about guild reputation being affected by the changes and the answer is no. It's not my intent to sound harsh here so let me briefly explain: Patch 5.0.4 saw significant increases to how quickly players can level with their guild and we're pretty comfortable with the changes as they are.

Many of you have been wondering which factions will be affected by this change. The short answer is we are in the midst of discussing this now. Our thinking at this point in time is to ultimately have all the various factions affected by the increase, but that process will require extra time to test. So one idea we have is to roll out changes to Mists of Pandaria factions first, and then work in earlier expansion-based factions with patches that come later. Granted, this is very much a work-in-progress, subject-to-change situation but keep the feedback coming, it's been very helpful!

With regard to the amount of reputation needed for Honored to Revered, versus Revered to Exalted; we're definitely aware of the difference in numbers and are taking your concerns to heart.

One of the most asked questions so far is, what gives with the tabard changes? When we introduced reputation tabards in The Burning Crusade, they were set to be used as a means to gain attunement for raiding. Sadly, the specificity of each tabard made it so they discouraged players from running dungeons together. If one player needed reputation from one dungeon, while his friend needed it for another, the two ended up not playing together when they would have liked to. You saw the shift away from this philosophy during Wrath of the Lich King and on into Cataclysm. For Mists of Pandaria, though, we feel dungeons are already rewarding so it made the most sense to have reputation earned by doing things for each particular faction. The various factions are what really bring a lot of the flavor and character to the world of Pandaria. We weren’t very happy that the status quo in Cataclysm was to virtually ignore most factions and what they’re about, by instead doing the fairly unrelated task of running dungeons. It provided a way for players to essentially double dip on rewards from dungeons and faction reputations simply by putting on a shirt when queuing. In Mists we’ve changed the reward structure in a way that we feel makes for a better, more diverse gameplay experience.

For those of you concerned about Golden Lotus related quests, keep your eyes on the forums for some very helpful information we're working on right now that we hope to have posted by Monday.

My work isn't done and if I get more information I can share, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks again, everyone! Your feedback is very much appreciated.
90 Orc Shaman
Glad to hear all of the updates, Crithto. One thing I'm still curious about though.

If/when you add this to non-Pandaria factions, will it apply to factions you have previously hit Revered with, but have since lost that rep? Oracles/Frenzyheart, Aldor/Scryer, Steamwheedle/Bloodsail, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
10/05/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Crithto
For those of you concerned about Golden Lotus related quests, keep your eyes on the forums for some very helpful information we're working on right now that we hope to have posted by Monday.

I think my biggest quesiton is the gating of Golden Lotus rep locking out two factions until revered. i'd like to see that go away completely, or at very least, if you complete that req on main, to go away on alts. i'm going to want to grind out enchants on my mage but i don't want to go through golden lotus to do it.
90 Human Paladin
In Mists we’ve changed the reward structure in a way that we feel makes for a better, more diverse gameplay experience.

It is not a diverse gameplay experience. Diverse means choice. there is only one way to gain rep and that is dailies. I like that part where you said it was bad to have one instance give "A" rep and another give a "B" rep leading to friends not playing together, however those days are gone. If SPM gave SP Rep you would be doing something for SP and the same can get said for the other instances. I don't like the Rep tabbards you guys are right in saying it was i am exalted with X time to change my shirt but letting us rep up in instances by making one give rep to one faction is not a bad plan. I would even go so far as to say turn off the rep you get from instances at revered so force the quest though revered to exalted because lets face it exalted rep should mean you put the extra effort into it.
90 Troll Hunter
Again, Crithto, I still think if you want to make it easier for alts to gain reputation faster, it should be a CHOICE, not a necessity. If you guys don't want to make it so tabards increase rep, perhaps, at exalted, you could talk to an NPC, who would "flip a switch" and make it so your other toons gain rep with that faction faster. But I don't think that making things easier for everyone is the answer when you can appeal to both the folks who want it easier AND the folks who feel more rewarded the way it is. Just like LFR and Heroic raids, and normal dungeons to challenge modes, you can offer more options that appeal to different people's playstyle. You guys have done a TERRIFIC job with providing different options for gaining valor, more options for things is never a bad idea.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]