Rune of Power. I like this spell.

90 Gnome Mage
I just turned 90 and ran 4 heroics last night.

I chose Rune of Power. I literally felt good sitting on top of this mini disk. My rotation is a bit different, my stradegy has changed, because of this ability. I have to be more aware of things. It is quite challenging, but I like it.

I see many negative comments regarding Rune of Power or the other two abilties. I don't know about y'all, but Pinklord likes this.

I can even see this being useful in arenas/bgs, sheep/freeze, stand on the Rune of Power, bandage. Talk about mage healing.

I'm still a noob.

But are there any other mages who is in love with this spell like me?

Pinklord out with the Swift Lovebird
Edited by Pinklord on 10/4/2012 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
RoP is nice for soloing. The constant heal + barrier prevent most things from accumulating any real damage.

But when you realize how much random movement there is in the current tier of raids, the fun will go away.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Zugman
But when you realize how much random movement there is in the current tier of raids, the fun will go away.

You know what? I'm not gonna crap on this guy's parade.
Pinklord you enjoy those talents for all their worth. And if you get into a raid and they make the game un-fun, feel free to join the chorus of people who say so on the forums.

In the meantime, I'll be on my lock.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I like it as well i put 2 down and when i need to move from one i go to the other one :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
As mentioned above, Rune of Power is great for soloing .. but in a Raid or Heroic Dungeon where you're required to move around a lot, I found it became more of a hindrance then a help.

Invocation is too start-stop as well.

Incanter's Ward is the best out of the three I reckon. You'll find yourself getting hit a lot in Raids from adds or the boss' AoE, which means a frequent 30% spell-power buff for 15secs.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm a big fan of Rune to be honest. It's quick to put down, unlike Invocation's buff. It helps the healers. I had to switch to IW on Stone Guard simply because the Amethyst pools made movement too random to take advantage of it. On Feng, however, there isn't a lot of unpredictable movement. You put one near the boss for Arcane Vortex and one to the outside for the rest of the time.
Reply Quote
As mentioned above, Rune of Power is great for soloing .. but in a Raid or Heroic Dungeon where you're required to move around a lot, I found it became more of a hindrance then a help.

Invocation is too start-stop as well.

Incanter's Ward is the best out of the three I reckon. You'll find yourself getting hit a lot in Raids from adds or the boss' AoE, which means a frequent 30% spell-power buff for 15secs.

If you use Incanter's plus Ice Barrier, does Incanter's take the incoming damage and break before Ice Ward starts absorbing?

Right now I agree that Rune feels best for 5-man's. I haven't started raiding this tier yet but I have a feeling I'll be swapping between all 3 talents frequently depending on the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
10/05/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Delatt
If you use Incanter's plus Ice Barrier, does Incanter's take the incoming damage and break before Ice Ward starts absorbing?

Yes

And, I use RoP for most of my soloing also, for the same reason others have mentioned. The constant healing is nice and means I almost never lose any like over the long term.

However, as others have noted, once you add in all the random movement of group content, this talent loses all of it's luster.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I am the complete opposite. I don't know how you people are using RoP even for soloing.

I kite like there is no tomorrow, usually pulling 4-5 lvl 90 mobs. Standing in one spot would just mean I would get my face beat in.

The heal you get from RoP is also pittance compared to regular Evocation or even Invocation. I Invo, pull 4-5 mobs, kill them, Invo, continue.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
10/05/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Incendium
The heal you get from RoP is also pittance compared to regular Evocation or even Invocation. I Invo, pull 4-5 mobs, kill them, Invo, continue.

360k HP, over 2 minutes:
Invocation, Crazy healing if you can stand still and stop DPS. Used properly it provides 144k*3 = 432k healing.
IW, 240k healing, usable once.
Rune, 3.6k hps * 120 sec = 432k healing
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
10/05/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Mageski

360k HP, over 2 minutes:
Invocation, Crazy healing if you can stand still and stop DPS. Used properly it provides 144k*3 = 432k healing.
IW, 240k healing, usable once.
Rune, 3.6k hps * 120 sec = 432k healing

Hey, if you can sit in a 3 yard rune while mobs beat your face, you can definitely cast Invo for 5 seconds.

Last night in our raids we were attempting Gara'jal, I had 66% uptime on Rune (a bit low as I learn the fight). It did 351004 healing over 6:02. This comes out to about 970hps. It had 48% overhealing, that means half of that number was wasted.

In terms of healing, even if the numbers look the same on paper, Invocation will most definitely beat out RoP unless you are on a fight like Ultrax where the damage isn't bursty.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/05/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Delatt

Incanter's Ward is *always* the top layer.

That being said, a lot of the raid wide damage in this tier is greater than the absorbs granted by Ice Barrier. I highly recommend choosing Temporal shield to macro with Incanter's Ward. Not only is it off the GCD, saving you 1.5 seconds over casting Ice Barrier, but it also allows you to take up to 300k damage without putting any strain on your healers, and if you use Cauterize you can take any amount of damage that does not ignore cauterize and you will heal to full.

Seriously,

Try it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
10/05/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Garithel

Incanter's Ward is *always* the top layer.

That being said, a lot of the raid wide damage in this tier is greater than the absorbs granted by Ice Barrier. I highly recommend choosing Temporal shield to macro with Incanter's Ward. Not only is it off the GCD, saving you 1.5 seconds over casting Ice Barrier, but it also allows you to take up to 300k damage without putting any strain on your healers, and if you use Cauterize you can take any amount of damage that does not ignore cauterize and you will heal to full.

Seriously,

Try it.

That is genius.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]