Pre-Server Xfer: How to research servers?

89 Orc Warrior
Hey guys,
I recently came back to realize that my server is basically dead. I put up with it while I was leveling but I was looking in the AH for some 90 gear, and all of it was overpriced and scarce; so just to confirm i checked other servers. I found about 7x the amounts of items listed, and for half the price.

I want to know where I can research about certain servers and if Alliance or Horde is doing better ( PvE and/or PvP ). I don't want to drop $55 and then find out another server was better.

Side note: I'm from Coilfang, and i'm looking for a PvP server that has lots of raiders also.

Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Flux.
Edited by Floox on 10/5/2012 2:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Here's a start for you

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?a=11&w=US&l=EN
This will show faction ratio, realm type, population size, etc. Basically all you need to know. Clicking on the realm will also show how active it is as far as raiding goes.

Keep in mind though, most active raiding servers have a very high population which do have a lot of cons like queue times to actually enter the server, occasional crashes, and a lot of competition for resources.

Good luck in your search.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
You can go to that server's forums and just put up a post asking people's thoughts on the server. You can also take a throw-away alt and watch trade chat for a while, and maybe even talk to a few people. It looks like you already looked at some AHs, which is another good step.

The warcraft realms mentioned above is, I've found, somewhat out of date. Players submit the data to keep it current, and not as many players do that these days. I try to take a census on both horde and alliance and upload it every few days to help out.
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Mage
You can also check out realmpop.com for a population breakdown. They need to work on their code as I always get the "A script on this page may cause Internet Explorer to run slowly. Do you want to stop running this script?". I just tell it no and haven't had a problem. Not sure if it does it on IE9 or Firefox though.

Anyways, it lets you see a breakdown of overall populations, Alliance to Horde Ratio, racial/class/gender breakdown. Since you want to stay with PvP I would think you would want a server that has a pretty balanced Ally:Horde ratio that also has a larger population than Coilfang (which is roughly 11,700 Ally to 19,700 horde). I am also assuming you would prefer to stay on a PST server.

That would give you:

Ner'Zhul which has just under 60k of each faction with roughly 1,000 more horde characters.

Dark Iron which has just under 34k of each faction with roughly 100 more horde characters.

Vashj which has roughly 55k of each faction with roughly 500 more Ally characters.

Bleeding Hollow and Stormrage would be good possibilities if you were looking for a much larger population (over 150k total characters) that leans more horde but they are EST and CST respectively.

No idea on the raiding but those are some suggestions just based on the numbers.
Edited by Alyssania on 10/5/2012 5:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
1) www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php

2) Read official forums for the realm in question

3) Roll an alt on the server, check AH, chat, guilds, etc.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warrior
Thank you all for the replies :)
I'l check those sites out and maybe make an alt to see how it goes.
The sites seem like it should be enough. I appreciate the resources!

Thanks again,
Flux.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I used http://www.wowprogress.com/ to find this realm. I made sure to only check out medium pop PvP realms in the US with my time zone and a good horde to alliance ratio.

Narrowed it down pretty fast.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
All hail the terrible server that is Coilfang!

if a Horde whoose faction has owned Coilfang since its inception in Burning Crusade Launch server is declaring Coilfang a Dead server you would think Blizzard would take notice.

Blizzcon 2007 I cornered Mike Moirhaime before he went on stage to do his concert in the stands and told him Coilfang alliance is such a bad place to be doing something about these bad servers I'll never forget less than 47 lvl 70s logging in back in 2007.....Coilfang alliance hasn't had a real progression raiding guild in I don't know how long it is such a casual server.

I mean it has enough population for a few casual 10 man raiding guilds make that right about 5 in todays life, but my god you know each guild and you know each guild dislikes each other to barely want to work together to make the server of Coilfang any better.

It is hilarously funny how no Ally guild downed Lich King without 30% buff and not until near end of expansion. Zero heroic raiding guilds. Cata does not count at all as far as raiding.

as far as it being PvP don't bother no many if any have the spirit to fight.

Blizzard sure reaps major server transfer fees from that server.

If I had a dark alley and a few blizzard employees to express my distaste at their handling of Coilfang server I'd well.......................be in jail.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warrior
All hail the terrible server that is Coilfang!

if a Horde whoose faction has owned Coilfang since its inception in Burning Crusade Launch server is declaring Coilfang a Dead server you would think Blizzard would take notice.

Blizzcon 2007 I cornered Mike Moirhaime before he went on stage to do his concert in the stands and told him Coilfang alliance is such a bad place to be doing something about these bad servers I'll never forget less than 47 lvl 70s logging in back in 2007.....Coilfang alliance hasn't had a real progression raiding guild in I don't know how long it is such a casual server.

I mean it has enough population for a few casual 10 man raiding guilds make that right about 5 in todays life, but my god you know each guild and you know each guild dislikes each other to barely want to work together to make the server of Coilfang any better.

It is hilarously funny how no Ally guild downed Lich King without 30% buff and not until near end of expansion. Zero heroic raiding guilds. Cata does not count at all as far as raiding.

as far as it being PvP don't bother no many if any have the spirit to fight.

Blizzard sure reaps major server transfer fees from that server.

If I had a dark alley and a few blizzard employees to express my distaste at their handling of Coilfang server I'd well.......................be in jail.

Ya its pretty dead, and !@#$ty AH prices/quantity. You have a server you'd like to offer i switch to? I dont mind alliance/horde.

EDIT: Currently looking at Shadowmoon, Bleeding Hollow, and Arthas

Any opinions on those, or any others?

Thanks,
Flux
Edited by Floox on 10/5/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warrior
BUMP:
Need more opinions on Crushridge, Vashj, and Arthas.
Edited by Floox on 10/5/2012 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Isn't Vashj extremely low population. Worse off than Coilfang.
That seems a bad choice, otherwise I have no knowledge of the 3 you listed.

And no I have no opnion on which to goto I'm searching for a new server myself atm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]