Mage Fire/frost DPS in PvE

90 Troll Mage
Im have been a raider now since BC and playing since Vanilla. But come this expansion I have been having a big problem with DPS. I have tried to do the correct rotations and right talents for right fights. We tried eligon last night and my dps was on bottom. I couldn't get above 50k dps no matter what I did. I tried 4-5 attempts as frost and one as fire. I have been pushing to be frost since i love that spec. I played fire in cata and did well. But as fire my heroic dungeons are lower than what i think i should be.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alterac-mountains/Icepyre/simple

we didnt have any WoLs last night since it was first night in there. my dps was between 47- 51k dps through skada.

my hit is low right now im trying to reforge to get hit with enough crit and haste. I think i put too much into crit.

Buffs: Dal Brilliance, Molten Armor, flask of warm sun, and Int food. with int pots.

What am i missing .

my rotation is

LB (keep up)
lava burst ( when getting hot)
Pyroblast ( hot streak)
fire ball

Combustion when i get near 25-30k ignites

Mirror images on cd

rune of power since my haste is so low.

and later time when mirror images are up.

Any help would be great since im going to get replaced soon if i cant fixed this and I cant really figure out why my dps is so low.
Reply Quote
On our kill last night, I think I was at 90K+ as Fire. Make sure you are getting the damage increase buff as much as possible and 15% hit capped 12% hit is to low, put 600 hit into your Dragon trinket as a start over Mastery.
Edited by Spells on 10/5/2012 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
Dont play frost for elegon. Frozen orb and pet freeze dont hit the boss resulting in massive damage loss.

As fire, you should be sitting between 90k and 120k depending on crit % in current gear (around 365-370 ilvl).

edit: Also your damage on elegon really spikes in the final 20% once you've put 12-13 stacks of debuff on the boss. Before then it could be quite low.

edit edit: On a fight like elegon with a base 50% damage increase and a stacking damage debuff you'll want to combust on higher ignite levels. 50-80k was what I was getting when I chose to combust.
Edited by Bitmad on 10/5/2012 7:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
10/05/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Spells
On our kill last night, I think I was at 90K+ as Fire. Make sure you are getting the damage increase buff as much as possible and 15% hit capped 12% hit is to low, put 600 hit into your Dragon trinket as a start over Mastery.

As a side note...can you replace a tinkers gear once it's in the trinket? And if so do you need an engineer to do it? I've never level'ed engineering so I have no idea but I would love to replace the +mastery one with +hit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Thanks. do u see that your using invocation or RoP or IW for ur 90 talent. the invocation is a pain cause of the 5 sec channel and if i move or something i lose it and have to redo. the RoP is good but if you have to move alot its not that great. and IW depends on taking dmg.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/05/2012 07:06 AMPosted by Bitmad
edit: Also your damage on elegon really spikes in the final 20% once you've put 12-13 stacks of debuff on the boss. Before then it could be quite low.

Most guilds won't be getting 6 waves of orbs down per phase.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
im still having trouble with fire dps. with Invocation, RoP , or IW should i have a bottom line haste to do good dmg?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I would drop scorch and pick up POM. You can then trigger alter time when you have warming up and a instant pyro up, and POM and get 2-3 instant pyro then AT kicks in for another 2-3 instant pyro then combustion then inferno blast = leet dps.

Haven't tried this yet but i was reading about using Temporal Shield and Incanters Ward and putting them on a Macro to cast simultaneously. This combined with Cauterize should give you about 300k of a shield and restore you to full health in the event of a death. At least that was the theory of the OP. Also very functional for fights with a lot of movement.

On your glyphs i would swap Glyph of Frostfire bolt for Evocation especially if you continue to use rune of power takes a lot of pressure off of your healers. Frostfire Bolt is mostly for soloing when raiding your tank is there to keep mobs off of you.

I prefer Ice Ward to ring of Frost but i suppose it is all preference. I created a macro for Ice ward that puts it on my Focus target then targets my focus targets target that way i just focus my tank and the frost nova goes off on him and i am back to targeting his target instantly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
OK so i tried Elegon fight again tonight. I went fire and i was right around 70k . I just don't feel like FB cast time is fast enough . For the sparks I am using scorch. But the rest of the time I know im using scorch when im moving but I just dont feel comfortable on that fight.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
10/05/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Conceit

Most guilds won't be getting 6 waves of orbs down per phase.
How will they beat the enrage if there isnt enough stacks on the boss? It is a dps check fight. You have to put 10+ stacks on the boss or you're likely to hit enrage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
well they downed him after they put a SP in my place. They got 5 orbs and then 4 orbs down and got it. I just cant seem to get that build up for any combustion till phase 3.

Now Will of Emp I went back Frost and was 2nd on DPS. I just REALLY want Frost fixed for that fight so I can just stay Frost.
Reply Quote
Scorch should never be used unless you are forced to move, and given the amazing synchronization that fire has with PoM due to alter time and saving pyroblasts, I wouldn't personally touch scorch; it's really only there for when you are moving and if you can stand still and cast fireball (or frostfire bolt) instead you shouldn't waste time on scorch. Fireball/FFB account for the majority of your DPS unless your crit reaches amazing levels (which will only occur closer to 500 ilvl probably).

You should stop worrying so much about bottom line haste as fire, because sacrificing hit or crit for haste is really not worth it, otherwise we'd be running with frost armor instead of molten armor. The 90 talents are clunky (besides IW I suppose) and require some practice in order to utilize well but if you're doing fine in frost, you're obviously doing something very odd in fire.

First I would look at your scorch use because something you said just screams out that you're using it when you should be casting something else, then I would look at getting the hang of combustion and building it up more.
Reply Quote
Depending on how a guild does orbs, you may be forced into scorch on Elegon in order to fish for pyro procs on the orbs. I personally had to give up PoM so that my group could kill our spark 5 or 6 times in succession.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Magic
Depending on how a guild does orbs, you may be forced into scorch on Elegon in order to fish for pyro procs on the orbs. I personally had to give up PoM so that my group could kill our spark 5 or 6 times in succession.

If you're fishing for pyro procs on the orbs wouldn't you end up losing damage on them because you're not casting your normal spell priority? I mean, if you're not fishing for pyro procs on a boss with scorch, why would you fish for pyro procs on anything else? If you don't have enough time to cast fireball then they're dying fast enough I assume.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I haven't started raiding in MoP, but mages have this irony that if things die before we finish off a fireball, that means your raid has very good DPS, which ends up being a good thing.

Of course many people overlook that, sadly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]