I'm Losing Hit Chance in Challenge Modes

(Locked)

90 Human Priest
/edit

For those unaware, you are NOT supposed to lose Hit or Expertise in Challenge modes.

/endedit

Pretty what much the title says.

If you check my armory, you'll see I'm at 464 equipped item level.

Outside of a challenge mode, I have 3647 spirit. Inside, I have 3641.

As far as I can tell, that's because I'm being scaled down to 463 ilvl...except scaling down spirit means scaling down hit for Shadow Priests, Elemental Shamans, and Boomkins. This is especially problematic since humans get 3% extra spirit, making it definitely better than hit for us.

Please fix this. Don't scale down spirit if the character is Shadow, Elemental, or Balance. While it's not a big deal now, future patches with much higher ilvl gear definitely means those three specs will *require* a second set of gear for Challenge Modes. Which, while probably a good idea in general, definitely isn't intended to be mandatory.
Edited by Balkoth on 10/5/2012 6:52 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
So, no one is concerned about Spriests, Ele Shaman, and Boomkins having trouble once they're past 463 gear?
90 Orc Warrior
Hm. That does sound pretty bad. Also.

FACE.
90 Worgen Death Knight
OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE LOOKING INTO THE FACE OF DEATH'S WORST NIGHTMARE THAT IS SO AWESOME I'M GONNA MAKE A PRIEST RIGHT NOW

When it comes to challenge modes, you don't want to be at full raid hit cap since the bosses are one level below raid boss level. I'm pretty sure, at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
90 Human Warrior
While it may be an issue with Shadow priests, browsing the list of all Gold challenge mode times, I am seeing plenty of Balance and Elemental specs.

Due to the scaling you may just need to run with an extra hit trinket, but chances are you might need to go healer to get a viable gold time, as through all the gold times in all instances, there is only one with a Shadow Priest that ran

10/05/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Serrias
When it comes to challenge modes, you don't want to be at full raid hit cap since the bosses are one level below raid boss level. I'm pretty sure, at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All mobs in Challenge modes are level 83
Edited by Active on 10/5/2012 1:21 PM PDT
90 Worgen Death Knight
10/05/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Active

Uh oh.
90 Human Priest
Hm. That does sound pretty bad. Also.

FACE.

10/05/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Serrias
OH MY GOD IT'S LIKE LOOKING INTO THE FACE OF DEATH'S WORST NIGHTMARE THAT IS SO AWESOME I'M GONNA MAKE A PRIEST RIGHT NOW

In-game, it animates and does a chomping motion.

While it may be an issue with Shadow priests, browsing the list of all Gold challenge mode times, I am seeing plenty of Balance and Elemental specs.

Due to the scaling you may just need to run with an extra hit trinket, but chances are you might need to go healer to get a viable gold time, as through all the gold times in all instances, there is only one with a Shadow Priest that ran

Interestingly enough, said Shadow Priest was the world first to get gold in all of them.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2948-All-Gold-Challenge-Modes-Completed-Upcoming-Raid-Releases-Blue-Posts-MoP-Wallpaper

Also, an extra hit trinket wouldn't leave me at exactly 15% hit, which is the problem.

Uh oh.

You know they meant 93.
10 Tauren Warrior
This sounds problematic. Back up to the top.
90 Human Priest
id just build an extra set for challenge modes. tier bonuses dont work in them anyways, and that scaling thing will always be a problem for all stats....
90 Human Priest
Tier bonuses don't work, but picking items particularly well itemized (or which have sockets) for their ilvl would be handy.

And no, by default it doesn't remove hit or expertise rating, only the other stats...except in the cases of spriest, boomkin, and ele shaman (well, definitely for spriest, I'm assuming the same problem applies to the other two). This obviously CAN cause issues with Haste break-points, but that's a separate topic.
90 Draenei Shaman
Let me get this straight. You're doing a challenge mode but complaining that it's too challenging? It sounds like it's working as designed. If they're not also scaling down expertise and hit rating, however, I agree that it's not fair to shamans, boomkins, and shadow priests.
90 Human Priest
10/05/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Ronduwil
Let me get this straight. You're doing a challenge mode but complaining that it's too challenging?

Nope.

10/05/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Ronduwil
If they're not also scaling down expertise and hit rating, however, I agree that it's not fair to shamans, boomkins, and shadow priests.

Yep. Hit and Expertise are NOT supposed to scale down. There was a whole blue post on this subject talking about it. The issue here seems to be that Spirit is getting scaled down, which acts as hit for spriests, boomkins, and elemental shaman.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gear scales down in challenge mode. that includes every bloody stat.

If it is indeed a bug, it needs to be fixed of course. but making an exception for any stat sort of defeats the purpose.
90 Human Warrior
Gear scales down in challenge mode. that includes every bloody stat.

If it is indeed a bug, it needs to be fixed of course. but making an exception for any stat sort of defeats the purpose.

Hit rating and expertise are meant to stay the same in challenge modes.

Also he's loosing hit because shadow priests get hit from spirit. Spirit is one of the stats that are scaled down so he's loosing hit rating.
Edited by Darthery on 10/5/2012 6:50 PM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight
Even if they were, you should ideally keep your 463 bis gear for challenge mods if you intend to do them.
1 Gnome Priest

you need raid hit cap, I believe.
Edited by Mescyn on 10/5/2012 7:29 PM PDT
1 Gnome Priest

Also he's loosing hit because shadow priests get hit from spirit. Spirit is one of the stats that are scaled down so he's loosing hit rating.

It's going to be tricky not to do that, too. You can't exempt spirit, due to its affect on healers -- you wouldn't want regen to be higher than intended. I don't know if the normalization system has access to spec or not.
90 Human Priest
10/05/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Tierná
Even if they were, you should ideally keep your 463 bis gear for challenge mods if you intend to do them.

I'm not sure that's true.

For example, Darkmoon Cards are insanely well itemized for their ilvl. I expect you'll want to use one and have it scaled down versus using a mediocre trinket.

Also, you have stuff like 458 PvP gloves > 463 PvE gloves due to the socket. This also applies to higher ilvl items, a bracer with 1-2 sockets will likely beat out a 463 bracer with no sockets.

10/05/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Mescyn
It's going to be tricky not to do that, too. You can't exempt spirit, due to its affect on healers -- you wouldn't want regen to be higher than intended. I don't know if the normalization system has access to spec or not.

Yeah. I'm not sure either. Still, it's affecting 3 specs for the same reason, you'd hope they can fix it somehow. Even if they have to add invisible buffs or something.
Community Manager
I know this thread’s a few days old now, but I’d like to clarify the cause for concern here so others are aware. Balkoth, we were able to track down a bug pertaining to item scaling in Challenge Modes, but it’s not related solely to classes that use a spirit -> hit conversion.

What you’re noticing is a bug specifically involving reforging. If you reforge out of crit/haste/mastery INTO hit or expertise, then when the crit/haste/mastery gets scaled down, you also lose a percentage of the reforged hit/expertise. So, it's not a class or spec issue -- it affects all players who have reforged into hit/spirit equally.

Given the way stat scaling and reforging mechanics work, this is kind of a tricky issue to fix, but we’re looking into it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]