question about Frost Nova/Blink usage

5 Human Warlock
I just started a mage, it's currently level 6-10. I've played other toons, so I know what kinds of situations are ahead. The simple scenario of attack from range, Frost Nova, Blink, then finish from range is easy enough to understand. Frost Nova is adequate for that. But there are so many situations that are not like this. Ideally, you attack from 40 yds, but there are plenty of situations where you will get attacked from close range. You can Frost Nova, and Blink but you just blew your use of Frost Nova for awhile. So the mob is approaching you, and you need more time to finish him off, but Frost Nova is on cooldown. How is this situation supposed to be handled? At low levels, Frost Nova is the only snare available. Is low level mage play supposed to be this frustrating? Not to mention the fact that Frostfire bolt has to be cast umpteen million times to kill anything.

While I am on the subject of snares, what happens in the 2-mob scenario when I use Polymorph on a mob? If I use Frost Nova on the first mob, i figure it's not available for the second mob. Also, Polymorph does not work on undead stuff like in Duskwood, so Frost Nova is going to be my ONLY SNARE . How can that be made to work? I don't have fancy BOA gear, I just have regular crappy quest gear. I see so many people leveling in BOA gear, I suppose they are doing just fine, DO I NEED BOA gear to level a mage?
Reply Quote
Never nova+blink.

Nova, walk away, nuke.

Or blink and nuke.

Using both at the same time is a use of both CDs
Reply Quote
5 Human Monk
I understand the value of not using both CDs, but I think the orignal problem is still there. So I Frost Nova, and walk away, turn around and cast. Frost Nova doesn't last that long, so I will not be able to cover too much ground, and I still have to get off a spell cast. And if it's not a trash mob, it will reach you with plenty of health. And you don't have Frost Nova available.

It seems to me that using Frost Nova and Blink together, while using both CDs, would allow you to cover more ground, and maybe get off more casts?

If you're wearing BOA gear, or are overleveled for the mobs you are fighting, then you can get a short distance away and nuke them, they'll be dead before you lose much health. But that's not the kind of situation that worries me. I've done quests on other toons where you are supposed to kill a tough boss, and he is sometimes literally right around the corner. You don't have range. And I don't see how a low level mage (without fancy BOA fear) is going to have enough time and firepower to handle the difficult mob without nearly dying.
Reply Quote
I'm going to assume this is for a non frost mage that's below level 14, because once you have polymorph, close range surprise attacks by beasts and humanoids become trivial to deal with.

10/06/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Ilovekittens
I understand the value of not using both CDs, but I think the orignal problem is still there. So I Frost Nova, and walk away, turn around and cast. Frost Nova doesn't last that long, so I will not be able to cover too much ground, and I still have to get off a spell cast.

Frost Nova is instant and lasts 8 seconds. That is more than enough to start strafing, hit frost nova, run for 5 seconds gaining you distance for 2 to 3 spells, spin with your mouse and get off any cast time spell before the nova breaks. All specs can use frostfire bolt from level 1, so it will be snared unless you're foolish enough to not use it as an opener and a followup while they're rooted.

And if it's not a trash mob, it will reach you with plenty of health. And you don't have Frost Nova available.

...but because you didn't waste it before, you still have blink. And because you're not foolish enough to leave any mob that can be snared without a frostfire bolt debuff, it won't be running to you that quickly. You can easily keep it under a snare and kite it around until nova comes back, but most mobs while leveling will be dead long before you need to run that long anyway.

It seems to me that using Frost Nova and Blink together, while using both CDs, would allow you to cover more ground, and maybe get off more casts?

If you can kill something with the one or two extra casts that blink affords you then it's a waste of a blink or a frost nova cooldown. You could take it down with only one of the two more than easy enough with just a little more effort. If you can't kill it then you just wasted both your escape cooldowns for nothing. You're better off not blowing everything at once. It'll only get you in trouble, especially in pvp.

If you're wearing BOA gear, or are overleveled for the mobs you are fighting, then you can get a short distance away and nuke them, they'll be dead before you lose much health. But that's not the kind of situation that worries me. I've done quests on other toons where you are supposed to kill a tough boss, and he is sometimes literally right around the corner. You don't have range. And I don't see how a low level mage (without fancy BOA fear) is going to have enough time and firepower to handle the difficult mob without nearly dying.

Then you make range by making sure you have a clear kite path before pulling him, get a snare on him and blink away to resume nuking and kiting, you use consumables to improve your chances, or you gain a level or two before facing him. If you're trapped in a small room with no room to kite, then you have to level more if you can't beat him. Blowing both nova and blink won't save you if you have nowhere to run to.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
Thanks for your detailed comments. I have not done a lot of kiting, but I'm gonna give it another try. I'm not used to moving away once a mob is on me. That may sound strange, but my bias is to try to root the mob immediately. While I am aware of cooldowns, I don't usually think about running away as a means to delay until something comes off cooldown. The cooldown for Blink is shorter than Frost Nova, which means I should probably use it first, because then I might have a chance to use it again later for the same encounter.

I'm still a bit leary of trying to find a place to kit to, or Blink to, because mobs often seem packed together in higher level quests. I'm beginning to think of kiting as a challenge (i'm mostly used to pet classes, so having to kite still seems a little "wrong" to me).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]