Pandaren Origin

59 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't know much about the Pandaren, but I do know that they are not refferenced from Kung Fu Panda. The Pandaren came from Warcraft III specifically the "Brewmaster" Hero. If you came here to know about Shen-zin-su then you will have to wait, this forum about Pandaren Origin starts from the beginning.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
One version I heard was that Metzen said Samwise was just like one of those "Panda Bears" because he wasn't affected by heat or cold. He meant to say Polar bear but the other name just stuck and Samwise started drawing Pandaren.
Reply Quote
76 Pandaren Monk
10/09/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Skytotem
One version I heard was that Metzen said Samwise was just like one of those "Panda Bears" because he wasn't affected by heat or cold. He meant to say Polar bear but the other name just stuck and Samwise started drawing Pandaren.

I heard that sometime after that someone drew art of Samwise and his child as pandas and the other devs loved it. It was on a Q&A on the site forever ago.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
They were basically the brainchild of Samwise Didier, Blizzard's art director. He got the nickname "panda" from his brother (not Metzen), which ultimately sparked a heavy interest in pandas, leading to the creation of a race of panda men which were eventually utilized as an April Fool's joke during Warcraft 3. Fan reaction was so popular that they ended up being legitimized in the Frozen Throne expansion with Chen Stormstout and the Brewmaster hero.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 10/9/2012 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
10/09/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Skytotem

It wasn't Metzen. This is a story Samwise told at the MoP launch event.

Samwise tried to correct him, but no, Drunken shenanigans meant "Panda Bear" had to stick as a nick name.

I heard that sometime after that someone drew art of Samwise and his child as pandas and the other devs loved it. It was on a Q&A on the site forever ago.

Samwise drew that picture as a present for his daughter.

If I were to guess, it'd be this one:

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer.php?artist=samwise&cat=personal&art=10

Though there's a few in his gallery.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
This is probably it as it's got a 1999 tag.

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer.php?artist=samwise&cat=warcraft&art=26

I don't think it was his brother either, on the making of MOP bluray Samwise says it was "some dude" chillin' in the desert with him and some other friends.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Funny how much stories change over time so quickly
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
There used to be a feature on the old WOW website when DC Direct put out the Chen Stormstout figure which had a diagram Samwise personally drew for the sculptors as a design for the sculpt and it had an interview with him explaining the thing.

I think he mentioned his family members there called him Panda Bear a lot.

On a side note, I'm a huge Samwise fanboy for his art, and the other night while Samwise was drunk posting on his Sonsofthestorm facebook page I coincidentally discovered Sam the Wise, Metal brewmaster while exploring the Jade Forest. I shared this with him on Facebook and he spoke to me personally, the Panda King of Buttrock himself spoke to me!!!! He basically said: "Cool".

Now I will never wash my facebook page.
Edited by Elrith on 10/9/2012 3:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
In any event, their creation can definitively be traced back to Samwise Didier, circa 1999.
Reply Quote
Thanks all for noticing this thread, I am starting to know more about the quote "Kung Fu Pandas".
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
10/09/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Vynzurin
Thanks all for noticing this thread, I am starting to know more about the quote "Kung Fu Pandas".
Don't you say that name. Don't ya dare, boy.
Reply Quote
Its open season on pandaren lets do it hahaha
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]