The new raid loot system

90 Tauren Druid
I took a break from the game towards the end of cata. I didn't play at all during the final patch before mop was released. Here's how I remember it working when I left:

Boss dies. A random sampling of items from the boss's loot table drop, and players could roll on them or the loot master could assign after manual roll-offs.

But what I'm hearing now is that the first part remains the same (generation of loot drops), but the game will now "choose" a winner on its own and assign the loot to that player without any rolling by the players. Is this true? I have questions...

How does the game decide who is eligible for the loot, beyond just armor class?

Does this new system only apply to LFR groups, or does it also apply to normal/heroic groups?

The guy who stands to gain 20 ilevel and the guy who stands to gain 3 ilevel are considered equal in the game's eyes?

Presumably, spec is a consideration, but is it spec at time of queue, or spec at time of kill?

How does this affect Loot Master setting? Has Loot Master gone the way of the dodo?

What if the player's bags are full when the game attempts to give them the loot?
Reply Quote
55 Gnome Death Knight
The loot system is for LFR and the world bosses (Sha/Galleon) only. So it doesn't affect Loot Master at all.

If the player's bag is full, it would presumably be mailed to them. The other day I got a letter from the Postmaster saying "here's something of yours that was lost in the void," though there wasn't anything. Such has happened before with loot that gets awarded but you have no room.

The game decides based on spec. Resto shaman? You'll get intellect mail gear, intellect rings and whatnot, and so forth.

Essentially, each player has their own separate roll. What one person rolls in no way impacts anyone else. So it is entirely possible for every person present to win something (though a very small chance, that). The game doesn't just choose player D or player Q for whatever reason, we're all still rolling, that's all.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
This is only in LFR.

The boss dies, the game rolls to see if player 1 gets loot. If they win the roll, they get a spec-specific piece of loot; otherwise they get about 25 gold. The process is repeated for player 2 and the remaining 23 players in the raid.

Everyone's loot is independent. There could be 25 winners or 0 winners.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
But what I'm hearing now is that the first part remains the same (generation of loot drops), but the game will now "choose" a winner on its own and assign the loot to that player without any rolling by the players. Is this true? I have questions...

As others have said, it's only in LFR and this section is where you've misunderstood or been misinformed. The game does not generate loot and then roll for the players like you're suggesting. It makes an individual roll for each player to determine if they should get loot or gold. If the roll comes up "loot" for a player, then he/she gets a piece appropriate for class/spec. If the roll comes up "gold," then some gold is given instead.

So if you're a Druid and you get 25g and see another Druid get a piece of gear, that Druid didn't beat you for that gear. Your roll came up "gold" and his came up "loot" -- they were completely independent processes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Gotcha, thanks for the helpful responses. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/11/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Choonster
This is only in LFR.

Also world bosses which means it is to your benefit to bring as many as possible.
Edited by Noctemtenchi on 10/11/2012 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/11/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Intangyr
How does the game decide who is eligible for the loot, beyond just armor class?
Everyone is eligible. Everyone rolls against a value that the game predetermined. If they beat that value they get loot. If they don't beat it they get gold. If 25 people roll a 99 all 25 get loot. If 25 people roll a 1 no one gets loot. If you win loot the game awards an item that is appropriate for your class and spec.

Does this new system only apply to LFR groups, or does it also apply to normal/heroic groups?
Only LFR. In a group that was manually created Blizzard assumes that you're capable of resolving loot disputes. In LFR it was just too hard to manage with 25 random strangers thrown together.

The guy who stands to gain 20 ilevel and the guy who stands to gain 3 ilevel are considered equal in the game's eyes?
They both worked on the boss, right? If anything the guy who stands to gain 3 ilevel made a greater contribution to the kill. Why should he be deprived of loot? Now the system is completely fair. No one is rolling against anyone else any more so even if the guy who stands to gain 3 ilevel "passes" it's not going to affect the other guy's chances of winning. To reiterate: if both players roll high both players win loot.

Presumably, spec is a consideration, but is it spec at time of queue, or spec at time of kill?
Time of queue.

How does this affect Loot Master setting? Has Loot Master gone the way of the dodo?
There is no loot master in LFR. Looting on Normal and Heroic remains virtually unchanged. The in-game tools for distributing loot have been slightly enhanced to facilitate distribution, but the distribution process itself is still entirely under the loot master's control.

What if the player's bags are full when the game attempts to give them the loot?
I don't know for sure, but in the past when things like that happened to me I got the item in the in-game mailbox.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
9 raids, 27 boss defeats and no loot. Seriously how the !@#$ is that fair???
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
12/12/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Infämöus
9 raids, 27 boss defeats and no loot. Seriously how the !@#$ is that fair???

No loot? You didn't get bags of gold?

You should report this in the Bug Report Forums. This is a very serious issue for such a substantial sample size.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
That's not really accurate to say that it decides who gets the loot and who doesn't. It'd be more accurate to say that the game rolls a random number, and gives you loot based on that number.

Don't try your luck with it though. It rolls 1-100. 1-90 gives 30g. 60-90 gives a Legendary quest item (if on the quest). 90+ gives randomized loot.

The system in place now allows for more than 4 pieces of gear to drop, and at the same time less.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
but the game will now "choose" a winner on its own

Not quite true.

Each player rolls against the system, independently, and if you "win" the roll you get a piece of loot. If not, you get some gold.

Each player is doing this independently, so it is possible (but not likely) that every player in the raid could win some loot, even the same item as someone else got.

There is no "winner" of a single piece of loot.
What one player gets or does not get has no affect on the other players getting or not getting something.

P.S. This system is only for the LFR raids, not for dungeons (regular or heroic) or normal raids).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]